PDA

View Full Version : Female SAR Winchman wins award

ricardian
5th Mar 2014, 07:46
Daily Telegraph story - QGM for female winchman (or should that be winchwoman?) (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10676724/RAFs-only-female-winchman-gets-medal-for-storm-heroics.html)

Wander00
5th Mar 2014, 07:55
Well done the crew involved and all the SAR Force. One wonders if, when the Force stands down on the service being civilianised there should not be some sort of award to the whole Force to recognise the heroism and dedication and lives save, and lost, somewhere between a Battle Honour and (as an example) Malta's GC.

A wicked thought came to me when I saw the "what do you call a "female winchman" - but I thought better of it, but begins with "w" and ends with "h".

Tankertrashnav
5th Mar 2014, 08:24
Absolutely fantastic - my heartiest congratulations to her.

One query - I wonder what the thinking was that saw her captain getting the AFC for the same rescue, whilst she got the QGM. Nothing wrong with the Queen's Gallantry Medal, but it struck me that her actions fulfilled all the requirements for the award of an AFC, and certainly in the past quite a few SAR winchmen had the old AFM.

Basil
5th Mar 2014, 09:46
Stunning story and
she is currently eight months pregnant.
further congrats approaching.

Daren't tell Mrs Bas or I'll get yet another lecture about female multi-tasking ;)

"What did YOUR mum do?" "Well, um, I don't want to seem . . "

Hangarshuffle
5th Mar 2014, 14:17
That's some story, fair play to her.

Wander00
5th Mar 2014, 14:23
Thought QGM only one down (and a small one) from GM

Heliport
5th Mar 2014, 14:29
The Air Pilots' Master's Medal 2013 : Sergeant Rachael Robinson RAF (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/524925-operational-honours-awards-list-october-2013-a.html#post8117502)

H.

cornish-stormrider
5th Mar 2014, 15:36
Regardless,
Top job Rach.....BZ to you and your crew, pardon the pun but that was a ballsy rescue

Good luck with your forthcoming little one, just enjoy him/her until they start walking and then you just sort of hang on and enjoy the chaos...

Top tip, once they've been weaned don't feed them rare steak- it's like throwing petrol on a fire

;-)

Tankertrashnav
5th Mar 2014, 16:57
Wander 00 - You are quite correct, both the QGM and the AFC are what is known as a third level (or tier) gallantry awards, whereas the George Medal is second level. In point of fact the AFC comes before the QGM in the order of wear, as laid down by the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood.

My point really was that whereas the QGM was instituted as primarily a civilian award, the AFC is very much a military award and I would have thought it would have been rather nice to bestow it on a female recipient.

Anyway I wouldnt want to make too much of this, as you know medals are my thing and I tend to go on about them, and I'm sure that Sgt Robinson can be rightly proud of whatever medal she has won.

langleybaston
6th Mar 2014, 15:23
The QGM has also been awarded [probably without much publicity so I will not name names] to serving female personnel in NI.

I expect many could name the unit in which they served.

Courtney Mil
6th Mar 2014, 15:46
Wow. Very well deserved. :D Respect!

Dengue_Dude
6th Mar 2014, 19:20
Fantastic, if her little one is a girl, she could be called Hattie . . .

Congratulations on the award.