PDA

View Full Version : CPL / ATPL Training in California

alec mcdermott
16th Nov 2001, 04:20
What can anyone tell me about ab-intio or modular training towards CPL / ATPL in California. Quality of instruction, locations, cost etc. And conversion requirements / implications on return to Blighty !

Cheers
Jig

Noggin
17th Nov 2001, 02:44
Quite simple, there is NONE.

hvassk
17th Nov 2001, 04:59
I think the largest flight school in CA with what you are looking for is Sierra Flight Academy in Oakland. They will train you up to CFII/MEI if you want. It's a little expensive in my opinion but doable. As far as conversions, don't ask me. I live and work in the US, so that's not my area.

gazelle507
17th Nov 2001, 22:30
There is no conversion from FAA to JAA for low time pilots. If you are looking to aquire a JAA ATPL(frozen), do not be tempted to do an FAA course and hope to convert. More importantly do not be fooled by a major FAA provider offering a JAA ATPL "PREP" course. It is a com (oops I mean con). In order to sit the JAA exams you must have trained at a JAA approved school on a structured course of training, wether this be a residential or distance learning course.
If you are on one of these courses, that is an FAA course hoping to convert YOU HAVE BEEN CONNED and it will cost you just as much to get your JAA licence.