PDA

View Full Version : Prune adverts

Sloppy Link
2nd Mar 2014, 21:20
Mods,
Adverts for ATPL training, electronic logbooks and pilot gear.....fine. Adverts for 2000 Chinese Women on line .com or uniform dating .com........Really? Come on, is this the right sort of material that we would wish the visitor to associate us with? If it is what the masses want, c'est la vie, I shall disappear in to a leather armchair and harrumph but I do think we are worth more than these tawdry adverts others may think we would subscribe to.

And before anyone makes the accusation, no, it not auto loading using cookies from websites I have visited before!

Bob Viking
2nd Mar 2014, 21:28
What about your wife or kids?!
Alright, low blow I'm sorry. But everyone else was thinking it!
BV

Wholigan
2nd Mar 2014, 21:57
No idea but there might be something in here:

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/526035-what-pprunes-adverts-say-about-you.html

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/511071-pprune-adverts.html

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd Mar 2014, 22:06
Is it just possible that it is a Site wide cover and not exclusively aimed at the guardians of the universe? We've all had to disregard shed loads of crap in our day jobs. Do we have to be so precious about a sodding "interest" Site?

Two's in
2nd Mar 2014, 22:24
Prune Adverts...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1w9VtbVVfYc82_veEWPBOQCte4RjrDbdnsWAe0zz MVGOvahmtQA

N2erk
3rd Mar 2014, 01:23
Do these ads appear with great regularity??? :uhoh:

Senior Pilot
3rd Mar 2014, 01:45
Mods,
Adverts for ATPL training, electronic logbooks and pilot gear.....fine. Adverts for 2000 Chinese Women on line .com or uniform dating .com........Really?

Your ads are very much influenced by your Google searches - how do you think they get millions of £ when the searches are free.
The same applies to Tw***r and F***book, free to users but they sell on your personal details and extracts from the stuff you (and your kids) write. Their income is also in the zillions.

As already mentioned, there is always Adblock :p

Pontius Navigator
3rd Mar 2014, 08:34
As John Prescott found out, it is often in the eye of the beholder.

Right now I have next the Pprune logo an ad for vitamin pills - I ordered from them a week ago. The other ad is for a BA-American Express credit card - I booked a flight last week.

The smaller ad to the right is for APL - no interest and the headline ad is for career progression, again no interest.

It looks as if the main banner ad is indeed cookie related, the headline and small ads are wide-area ads.

CoffmanStarter
3rd Mar 2014, 16:08
As a follow up to Pontius Navigator's post above ... see this sites Cookie Policy here.

Privacy Policy Main (http://www.internetbrands.com/privacy/privacy-main.html)

Privacy Policy FAQ (http://www.internetbrands.com/privacy/privacy-faq.html)

Or click the Privacy Policy at the foot of this page ...

Do you use my information for advertising on Internet Brands' websites?

Like other Internet businesses, we are able to offer free content and services through revenues we receive from advertising on our websites. We may use some non-personally identifiable information about you to tailor advertisements to your interests. This advertising is intended to present ads which are more relevant; not necessarily more ads.

Roadster280
3rd Mar 2014, 16:43
The ad at the very top is Google AdSense. Right now, mine is showing an ad for woodworking tools, as I have been looking at them over the last few days. It isn't just your Google searches, any site that has Google Analytics reports to HQ who has been there. You might type in directly in the address bar "discountcameras.com", and you will start to see ads for camera gear, if that site had Google Analytics.

So that begs a question for the OP...

Pontius Navigator
3rd Mar 2014, 17:34
Roadster, for non-British news readers my comment about John Prescott was because he complained about a website such as this offering Asian Babes or some such. JP was our former deputy Prime Minister and it was demonstrated that the ads were not random but directed :}

Roadster280
3rd Mar 2014, 19:46
PN, thanks for the explanation. I've been over here 9 years, and don't miss John Prescott one iota! I wasn't aware of the story, but it fits his MO entirely.

Al R
5th Mar 2014, 06:14
Sorry, but I saw this one and took a look. I don't do click throughs though, I will google the product seperately.

Slim Sleeve Wallet - Wallets - Slim Leather Wallets by Bellroy (http://bellroy.com/wallets/slim-sleeve-wallet#blue-steel)

I hope I don't see lots of ads for associated leather products now..

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2014, 08:01
Al, they may be OK for officers but far too small for NCA.

BEagle
9th Mar 2014, 15:48
Having been clicking on information about the B777 missing over the South China Sea, I note that, as a result, these infernal 'directed' LBFM adverts are back on PPRuNe with a vengeance....:uhoh:

Heathrow Harry
9th Mar 2014, 17:15
welllll we either agree to pay for an ad-free service or accept that those who run the board would undoubtedly prefer tasteful, expensive advertising from
Gucci, Rolex, Ferrari etc etc but they are stuck with some of the less tasteful junk

Heaven forfend that anyone would suggest they would run those adds out of choice or because they get some discount on "services" from the advertisers...... :eek::eek:

Laarbruch72
9th Mar 2014, 21:25
Adverts for 2000 Chinese Women on line .com or uniform dating .com........Really? Come on, is this the right sort of material that we would wish the visitor to associate us with?

Visitors don't see that. Visitors see whatever advertising that matches the sort of thing they were browsing for previously. I'm not seeing Chinese dating, I'm seeing Thomson holidays.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
10th Mar 2014, 00:16
Thank you; that puts an entirely new slant on it.

Metman
10th Mar 2014, 12:48
I'm with Sloppy Link, and I can guarantee it's not related to my browsing history, as I'm on my work PC and there is no way in hell I've been looking at anything involving Chinese dating! Or in fact Chinese anything! Besides, they'd all be blocked at the firewall.

The site must default to some kind of advert if Cookies are off and AdSense can't get a history - I suspect we might be seeing the default adverts. They're not particularly apropriate for work frankly, which might curb my browsing.

Chainkicker
10th Mar 2014, 13:33
It detects keywords from different threads as well I would assume. Having been looking at a few car sites, I have ads for Nissan/Mitsibushi etc. When I looked at the Ukraine thread, I got one asking if i wanted to meet "russian ladies". Make what you wish of my browsing habits...:hmm: