PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 100 at nine years old

moosp
1st Mar 2014, 17:29
Forgive me if this has been done before.

I am interested in the longer term reliability of a G1000 unit. I have seen a 2006 C182 with the Garmin installed and ask your advice based on your experience of owning or operating a unit that is coming up for 10 years old.

Apart from the possible reliability factors, have there been many upgrades over the years, that cannot be made to older units? For example I understand that the sources for data have improved markedly in the last ten years.

Any personal experiences would be welcome.

mikehallam
1st Mar 2014, 23:17
Garmin have an excellent reputation.

FWIW.
Not the same model I know, but my Garmin 55AVD is 21 this year and still works satisfactorily here in Europe.

mike hallam

Big Pistons Forever
2nd Mar 2014, 00:54
Only personal experience I have is a guy I know with a 2006 C 182. His G 1000 had two LRU failures. The repair was an exchange LRU from Garmin at around USD 5000 each time :eek:

Any upgrades to an older G 1000 unit requires it being updated to the latest spec. This can be very expensive for old units as there are hardware as well as software changes you have to make. Upgrading a non WASS G 1000 to be WASS enabled, is especially an issue.

If contemplating buying a older G 1000 airplane I would note the serial number of the unit and ask Garmin for an update quote. The number you get may change your mind or at least require a significant price adjustment.......

India Four Two
2nd Mar 2014, 08:01
His G 1000 had two LRU failures. The repair was an exchange LRU from Garmin at around USD 5000 each time :eek:

I think I would have been tempted to leave it dead in the panel and get a handheld or an iPad! $5000 buys a lot of fuel. ;)

Desert185
2nd Mar 2014, 13:26
I'm just glad I don't need the $$$ IFR capability of the Gizmo 1000. Quite happy with the old shotgun pattern steam gauges, Garmin 296 and iPad/Foreflight combo. Rather put the money on gas and STOL kits.

Keeping it simple satisfies...:ok: