PDA

View Full Version : R22 Engine RPM above rotor RPM?

ChopperStudent
26th Feb 2014, 21:20
Has anyone ever heard of an R22 engine overspeed that was between 110 & 116%, but left the rotor below 110% (split needles)? Can belts normally slip like that with a sudden increase in throttle/torque or

A> There is an issue with the belt tension settings
B> The flight crew's perception/interpretation of the tachs was incorrect
C> Something else?

If it was A> is there anything you could detect on a preflight or on engine run-up (blades taking more than 5 seconds to turn etc?)

Regards

Camp Freddie
26th Feb 2014, 21:37
I am inclined to go with B based on what you are saying.
But A sounds like it could be possible I guess but I have never seen it.
What stage of flight did this occur?
What was the belt tension like after shut down?
Was the clutch light behaving normally during the flight?

staticsource
26th Feb 2014, 22:27
I've seen on a few 44's & 22's where there is a miss-match between the two needles during normal flight. You start the flight and both needles are "top of the green" then after a while the ERPM begins to either increase or decrease by as much as 5 - 6%. No change in the RRPM and the engine was running normally. Never really found out what caused these issues, instrument or pickups?

May-be this?

hillberg
26th Feb 2014, 22:38
Some Freq. on the radio will cause a spike in rpm:{, Hard to get electrons to work togeather some times,:eek: The MM has a list of Freqs that do the dirty deed.:rolleyes:

ChopperStudent
26th Feb 2014, 23:03
What stage of flight did this occur?
I believe in hover power recovery after autorotation

What was the belt tension like after shut down?
Mechanics said no problem found

Was the clutch light behaving normally during the flight?
Nothing out of the ordinary mentioned

Camp Freddie
27th Feb 2014, 01:45
sounds like an indication issue rather than a real change in ERPM

Could be various electrical reasons for this such as hilberg's theory. Could be tricky to isolate.

ChopperStudent
27th Feb 2014, 03:36
To be clear, my understanding is the high volume/pitch of the engine sound and student's incorrect throttle manipulation were consistent with an engine overspeed - there was no doubt there. The real question is what was going on with the rotor RPM indication not following the engine RPM?

Camp Freddie
27th Feb 2014, 07:42
Ok understood, if no fault found with belt tension, my vote goes back to B.
If you ever work it out can you tell us so we all can learn.

FSXPilot
27th Feb 2014, 11:16
Does it really matter? Either way you are looking at some engineering work to check if anything had been damaged and then fixing it.