PDA

View Full Version : Harrier GR3s at Maple Flag

mantog
26th Feb 2014, 20:25
Hello

Trying to ascertain which years the RAF sent Harrier GR3s over to Maple Flag. Using Google I've found reference to 1982, but was there further participation in later years?

Many thanks

Bob

vascodegama
27th Feb 2014, 06:28
Quick check of the log book says I "trailled" Harriers that way in 84.

BEagle
27th Feb 2014, 07:48
I trailed some 4 Sqn Harrier GR3s back from Cold Lake at the end of May 1988, so I guess that was from Maple Flag? The only photo I have left shows a 4 Sqn GR3 (in normal green/grey camouflage) with ferry tanks on the inboard pylons and normal tanks on the outboard (dry) pylons - the outboards were only there so that they could be flown home empty and could not be used for the trail. A brilliant, cloudless day with perfect flying conditions...:ok: HF comms were as poor as ever though; at one stage due to some freak of skip, my call to the alleged ATCC was eventually answered by NASA down in Houston or somewhere.

It was 4:20 Cold Lake to Goose Bay on Sat 28 May. As it was a UK bank holiday on the following Monday, the permanent staff had decided to shut up shop and bug.ger off on tour, refusing to handle us until Tue 31 May. So we had a wasted weekend twiddling our thumbs at Goose; the Harrier boss was spitting feathers at this totally ridiculous situation.

We came in to launch off on Tuesday, only to find that many of the permanent staff were still away. But the AARC had had enough of Goose's intansigence, so we launched anyway; it was 5:30 for us to Brize and probably another hour for the Harrier mates on to Germany. A long time to be in single seat, single engined jet....

The joys of the 'Sondrestrom out' Harrier trail, eh vasco....:hmm: ??

lj101
27th Feb 2014, 09:37
Vague info here;

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 3 Nov 1993 (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199293/cmhansrd/1993-11-03/Writtens-9.html)

Records of RAF participation in Maple Flag exercises in Canada are not held centrally. The exercise takes place in May-June each year, and RAF participation usually comprises either eight Jaguars or Harriers, which usually attend in alternate years

mantog
27th Feb 2014, 12:20
Thanks guys! Did the GR3s ever engage in air to air scenarios with the Canadian/USAF during Maple Flag or were they over there purely for ground attack stuff?

Bob

peppermint_jam
27th Feb 2014, 19:23
Fairly sure 1 Sqn were over there in 82, prior to being told to head south!