PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL training South Africa

dannyweaver
16th May 2002, 14:22
:confused:
Looking through the FLYER classifieds this month, I saw a few adverts for JAA training in South Africa with, for example, the Flight Training College (South Africa) at 'Grand Central', near Johannesburg.

I was amazed by the prices (perhaps less than 1/4 of the cost of an integrated at Oxford/Cabair), but do these reflect the quality of the training provided? The facilities sound good and they have new aircraft, but how decieving could this be?

Has anybody trained at this or other (JAA approved) schools, or visited the airfields, as it would be useful for me to find out exactly what the training and facilities are really like.

freightboss
16th May 2002, 15:57
I do not know where you are from Danny, but rest assured - quality of training in sunny South Africa does not have to stand back one inch when compared to training in Europe or anywhere else.

What makes the difference is the exchange rate. At nearly 10 to the Euro or 15 to the pound, its due to be a steal in any mans language.

The prices I saw in the latest Flight International (nearly 30000 pounds from 0-ATPL) equate to close to ZAR450,000.00, whereas the actual cost for a similar course in RSA is closer to ZAR200.000,00 or 14000 pounds.

If you have any doubts, spend a few pounds and come have a look-see...

Davidils20l
16th May 2002, 16:26
Hi,

Could anyone please recomend or give the names of a couple flight schools that do JAA Atpl (modular training.) prefably coastal.

Thanks

dynamite dean
28th May 2002, 18:31
There are no schools with FINAL approval to teach JAA ATPL here or anywhere else Pan Am in America was the latest folk who where doing it and that was in Amercia but The CAA in Blighty revoked that for know - The point is IF you want a JAA ATPL y' do it in a JAA state - simple!

Been there done that I get annoyed when schools try and say we are JAA approved when they are not totally and us brits get (me included) roped into a cheap JAA license elsewhere the latest one was a particular school saying we are JAA affiliated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell does that mean!!!!

Me I'm just instructing here!:D :D :D

maxrated
30th May 2002, 19:17
If one already had an SA ALTP licence, what would it take to then complete a JAA validation/exams/flight test etc, anyone have an idea ?

exjet
31st May 2002, 00:08
You cannot vaidate a SA ATP to a JAA ATP, got to do the licence from scratch, must have enough MC time as well.

approachto19
31st May 2002, 12:17
Dynamite, you need to get your facts straight! There are a couple of schools who can teach teh JAA ATPL theory, FTC in Sth Africa I think was the first. I was invovled in the set up of this APPROVED jaa school outside the EU.

Check out the caa's list of approved schools at their web site at www.srg.caa.co.uk.

For the poor person wanting to convert, you dont have to start all from scratch. Go thru the CAA's web site or try a search pprune and you will find an abundance of info. Or another way is to email a school directly like OATS, Cabair or BAE and ask their adivce for your conversion.

Gooneybird
6th Jun 2002, 22:45
approachto19, Even if FTC can teach the theory that's not the expensive part anyway. The expensive bit is the ME/IR and since Switzerland won't even recognise a JAA ATPL done in Fance I don't hold out much hope for schools further afield.
Basically Europe needs to sort it's act out.
Conversion as I understand it involves all written exams done again, some IF training and a flight test.