PDA

View Full Version : Corrected Club Foot and flying?

LoganJ
26th Feb 2014, 12:33
Hello,

I'm currently in my final year of GCSE's, aspiring to be a pilot as a career, either commercial or military (I have career plans for both, should I decide which one I really want to go for). However, there's a bit of a problem. I was born with club foot on both of my feet, but it was corrected when I was 7 years of age, and I am in no way disabled at all by it, nor am I undergoing any treatment/therapy. It affects me in no way.

Do you think this will prevent me from achieving my Class 1 Medical, assuming there are no other problems?

One final thing - I have emailed the RAF twice, and visited an AFCO once, and none of them can give me a straight answer about it. I know it says on their website that club foot prevents me from joining, but for me, it's a case of had. I'm confused as to whether or not the medical conditions listed on their website are for if you are currently affected, or had it at all. I'm hoping that providing I can pass their fitness test, they'll make an exception.

RatherBeFlying
26th Feb 2014, 21:23
Can't say for sure as it works differently in Canada, but I checked with a Transport Canada regional medical office for a friend with a withered arm. The doctor said that a medical flight test would be required.

I took him up on a flight and let him fly once at altitude to see how he got on -- quite reasonably.

He then went off to a local flight school to start lessons, told the instructor he was working on his flight test (leaving out the word medical;) ) and did the taxi and takeoff. The instructor clued in sometime after rotation:\:\ so do be careful about saying medical before flight test if that's what you're talking about.

If you phone an aviation doctor in the UK, he will be able to give better information.

LoganJ
27th Feb 2014, 09:02
Thanks for the reply. Not what I meant exactly, but your reply has helped me nonetheless! What I was asking was if it would be an automatic no-go for getting a Class 1 Medical before I'd even been examined. I'm going to try phoning an aviation doctor in the UK soon though.

mad_jock
27th Feb 2014, 10:18
Far from it Logan.

They will more than likely do a function test using a flight instructor examiner which will basically check you can use the brakes and rudder like anyone else and if you are good that will be it. Maybe not even that.

Best thing is to just book yourself a class one at Gatwick and go through it. They have the final say and once you get past them that's it sorted. Phoning people up with this sort of thing never really answers the question until your sat at the doctors desk in Gatwick and they can get their hands on you, you will never know. Don't be scared of them in Gatwick they are quite down to earth with this sort of thing and if they can they will get you flying.

BTW just because you have class one doesn't mean you have to have a medical every year the cert includes class 2 rights which is all you need to do training and go solo etc. So you can let the class 1 bit lapse and only get it current again when you are ready for the final hurdle of CPL.

LoganJ
27th Feb 2014, 10:22
I'm very glad to hear that. That's exactly the answer I was looking for, and at least now I know the commercial route will be relatively safe. Next time I know I'm up that way I'll book an examination.

I suppose the final thing to get cleared up now is the whole RAF situation. I wish it was as easy as the requirements for commercial, but I suppose with them, you're training to be on foot too, so it won't be that easy!

Thanks again for answering the question, I've been searching for ages with no luck.

mad_jock
27th Feb 2014, 10:33
Logan I don't think you will have much luck with the mil. They have a vast over supply of applicants for a very limited number of jobs these days.

And your not just a pilot in the Mil your an Officer first, some of that will include some pretty hefty abuse of your legs. Any weakness will cause injury's and potentially be crippled for life. Never mind pilot training I think you wouldn't be allowed to enter the Mil full stop on my induction we had people failed for having flat feet and bunions.

LoganJ
27th Feb 2014, 10:36
Oh well, never mind then. I wasn't too bothered about getting into the RAF anyway, now that I know there's a chance of me being able to go commercial. I'll apply anyway when I finish school, just to see what happens, without being hopeful, but if I get rejected, no worries. Again, thanks for all the information.

mad_jock
27th Feb 2014, 15:28
Go get the class 1 medical out the way ASAP then you will know one way or the other.

No point working to wards being a pilot when its not a possibility and missing out on a very successful hairdressing career :p;)

LoganJ
27th Feb 2014, 17:58
Haha, indeed! I'm unable right now, but I should be up around Gatwick at some point in the coming months, so I'll set aside the money for an exam. Do you think they would do a Class One for an under-18 though, since the commercial jobs require you to be over 18 anyway?

Radgirl
27th Feb 2014, 19:56
This has come up before. It is perverse to spend hundreds of pounds on a medical you don't currently need to get an answer you can obtain for free.

First you need a proper report on your surgery. Your hospital by law has to keep your notes for seven years after you reach the age of 16 so you are in luck. Simply ask for a copy of the operation sheet and any letters or summaries from the surgeon. Send these to Gatwick in an envelope with a letter saying
'Does is exclude me from either a Class 1 or 2 medical?'. Wait for reply.

Turning up for a medical is more than likely to simply result in them taking your money and asking for the same report, because you have not been 'cured' but you have had correcting procedures. Bones and tendons have been moved and the doctor will need not only to assess your function but, I fear, want to know what was done.

LoganJ
28th Feb 2014, 17:33
I'll get the records and send off a letter as soon as I possibly can. Personally, I can't think of a reason they would reject me, other than to cause me a problem, but that's the authorities for you. If they assess the function, there's no problem there, as I have full movement etc, and if it weren't for the scars, there would be no way to tell the difference between my feet and normal feet.

Having said that, I'll go in expecting one or two problems, so I know what to expect, but again, I'll get the letter sent off as soon as I can.

RatherBeFlying
28th Feb 2014, 20:25
If you said nothing at the doc's office and got up and down the examination table without difficulty, you'd most likely pass, but would be subject to prosecution for failure to disclose medical history.

There's a form you have to sign.

LoganJ
28th Feb 2014, 20:57
I don't plan on lying at all. I'll bring it up, since the scars left over from the correction will be hard to miss. I'll just be trying to downplay it and prove that it doesn't affect me in any way.

LoganJ
1st Mar 2014, 19:26
Just checked the Army website out of curiosity, and on their website, it's listed as "Club Foot (Including Past Surgery)", so I guess that's it fully decided, I can't join the RAF, since I imagine the requirements are similar. Oh well, kind of unfortunate I can't follow one of my dreams due to something that happened when I was born, but that's life.

That's it decided then, I'm pursuing the commercial route.