PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on a job offer!

abby001
25th Feb 2014, 15:15
hey guys.

I need advice on a job offer i just got tonight!

I have my CPL and ME/IR. i got a job offer for flying UltraLight planes as flight instructor.

what do you think i should do? should i accept it or go back to south africa where i did my training and become an instructor on light planes on a cost from my own pocket?

need your advice fast, i gotta reply to the ultralight job offer!

Thanks.

zondaracer
25th Feb 2014, 18:52
Personally, I wouldn't make life decisions based on the opinions of anonymous people on a public forum. You should discuss this with close friends and people whom you know and trust on a personal level.

10Watt
25th Feb 2014, 19:39
Do you have ultra light experience worthy of the offer or more experience ?

What l`m getting at is that somebody is wanting from you what they don`t

already have but why ?

Trust your instinct my friend.

abby001
25th Feb 2014, 22:08
@zondaracer yeah right but the problem comes from when i have no more pilot friends due to couple of changing counties of residence so the only one i could get hold of thought it was awful idea to do it, so i decided to ask some people who are also pilots! still final decision is gonna be mine!

@10Watt well i dont and they say i only need 20 hours to do to get my rating and instructors! which doesnt make sense to me, cause instructor rating in this country requires 50 hours of flying dual before going through the skill test to only be qualified!

Permanent Standby
27th Feb 2014, 15:11
I assume they are making you pay for the experience and instructor rating? A good way to get business I guess, offer people a job!

If they're paying for it all then go for it! I suspect they aren't....

cefey
28th Feb 2014, 23:23
Depends on your TT.

If itīs a decent company and you are like 200TT, then yes, probably itīs a good idea.
You will build hours and get contacts.

If you have 1000+TT. Or itīs a bad company/you are not sure you will get flight hours - donīt do it.

IMO

portsharbourflyer
1st Mar 2014, 07:37
Cefey

If by ultralight he means fixed axis microlight, then the time isn't recognised toward "group A" SEP time. So it wouldn't not build any hours that are recognisable for further license issue. I know group A no longer a term in JAA/EASA land, but you know where I am coming from.

So really a completely useless offer, unless you ambition is to be a microlight instructor.

abby001
3rd Mar 2014, 09:10
well thanks guys for replies, they are operating planes below 600 KG MTOW and im sitting somewhere between 200 to 300 TT, but still the aviation is sick here and doesnt really allow me to find contacts and i just found out that it wont be counted towards my TT for ATPL!

I-AINC
3rd Mar 2014, 09:31
Go for it!!!

I know that you will not log any hour, ok, but at least you can fly and you will not loose your manual skills, that could be very important in a future sim assessment!

Next, in that ambient you will probably meet new people and new pilots (connections?)... So maybe one new door will open for you!

In the meantime continue to send CV's around the world :ok:

If you don't have a flying job then fly with everything you can, even a balloon!!!

In my opinion :-)

redsnail
3rd Mar 2014, 10:03
abby001, what country are you in? This will help guide the replies.

abby001
3rd Mar 2014, 20:28
@redsnail
for now Im in Iran!

@I-AINC
The only good thing about the job is that my feet are gonna be off the ground, cause it really doesnt make any difference in Iran if you know all the pilots flying, hell my dad and uncle are friends with a lot of airline managers, and yet no hope! all I'm concerning now is, its gonna cost me about $5000 to go back to South Africa and re-validate my license and do an instructor rating course on a C172 which is a light plane but its gonna cost me about $7000 to do this rating and instructors for it and get flying, but the job in here is well landed and instructor job back in South Africa is quiet harder to get!

SV_741_India_Bravo
5th Mar 2014, 07:31
I find it hard to believe that you know many airline managers but cant find a single pilot to talk to. Even an airline manager can advice you a little bit if he is realted to operations, or perhaps knows someone in flight operations.

You also say "job landed" if you have your instructor rating. If its so landed, I assume you know someone at the place. How about asking them?

The way I see it, your options are

1- go ultralight
2- gain experience
3- move to UAE or Saudi
4- fly for/instruct the princes and other bigwigs who own and fly ultralights

alternatively

1- go to south africa, get your instructor rating
2- work up some hours
3- get in an airline

which sounds better to you?

abby001
5th Mar 2014, 13:34
@SV_741_India_Bravo
Unfortunately it is possible in iran that you will have loads of connections in pilots and even high ranked office people, but still not being able to get in! Thats just how it is!
thanks for your answer, but are ultralight planes used that much in saudi and UAE?