PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Horizon programme on decision-making

airborne_artist
25th Feb 2014, 10:36
No direct aviation content, but plenty for aviators and others who have to make decisions quickly and accurately to think about.

BBC Two - Horizon, 2013-2014, How You Really Make Decisions (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03wyr3c)

walter kennedy
25th Feb 2014, 10:58
Some time ago, while researching stuff on the MoK crash, I came across some figures for decision making/reaction time among aviators when becoming unexpectedly spatially disorientated (eg when inadvertently entering cloud); from memory just now I recall figures of up to 9 secs for military and 16 secs for civil.
More than I expected and probably many of you on this forum would have expected.

airborne_artist
25th Feb 2014, 11:18
Early in the programme is a section on excessive task-focus reducing what we would call situational-awareness. Not new news to aviators, I'd suggest.

Basil
25th Feb 2014, 17:49
excessive task-focus
Known, at one time, as 'target fixation'?

Sun Who
25th Feb 2014, 18:08
The programme was based on the book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. A Sun Who recommended read.:8

Sun.

Thomas coupling
25th Feb 2014, 18:25
Don't know if I'll watch it....what do you think? Difficult one this? Perhaps not...................on the other hand..............:=