PDA

View Full Version : Guinness World Record Attempt

Jack Ranga
25th Feb 2014, 00:50
A good mate of mine is attempting to break the world record for most continuos rolls (408). The attempt is raising money for a charity.

Unfortunately the aircraft that we were going to film from won't be available due maintenance :ugh: does anyone know of a Cessna 182 or 172 certified for door off operations in the Melbourne Geelong Lethbridge area that would be available? As it's a charity we'd love to get mates rates :E

Help if you can :D

The event is on this Saturday morning at 7am

underfire
25th Feb 2014, 01:05
Wow, had to read this twice....first thought you were gonna roll the 182/172 408 times! :eek:

Good luck....

slackie
25th Feb 2014, 01:07
Jeez! 408 rolls! Glutton for punishment! Can't help sorry, but good luck and don't forget the panadol & sickbags! :}

Jack Ranga
25th Feb 2014, 01:40
He's done lots of practice & is looking good :ok:

Jabawocky
25th Feb 2014, 02:22
just clean the windows on the -10 :E

Ohh yeah.... you want something slow :}

Horatio Leafblower
25th Feb 2014, 02:26
After doing 408 in one direction, will he be doing 408 in the other direction to unwind? :eek:

Jack Ranga
25th Feb 2014, 02:28
:D

It won't be signed off in time :ugh:

Jack Ranga
25th Feb 2014, 02:31
HL, he's had a couple of cracks at it, so far so good :E

Jack Ranga
25th Feb 2014, 03:21
Thank you, you are guns! Plane arranged :ok:

djpil
25th Feb 2014, 05:27
Too late I see however the Super D that visited Lethbridge recently has the door-off STC.

Captain Garmin
25th Feb 2014, 06:13
Can we get some more specific details on where to come watch/donate…?

YBMK Tower
25th Feb 2014, 06:36
Everyday Hero Australia: Kingsley Just - On a Roll for Research (http://www.everydayhero.com.au/event/Kingsley-Just-RollforResearch)

Jack Ranga
25th Feb 2014, 07:20
Captain Garmin,

The attempt will be overhead Lethbridge Airpark at 7am this Saturday. The aerodrome itself is restricted ops at the moment due runway works. I'm not sure that it's possible to fly in, probably contact Gary.

And an extra special plea to possible non-radio aircraft that like overflying CTAF's, would you mind not doing this, there will be a Pitts & chase plane operating.

This is CASA approved event/display. Both pilots are formation rated.

spinex
1st Mar 2014, 21:49
Did I hear right, this didn't end so well? Real shame if true.

Jack Ranga
1st Mar 2014, 22:34
He smashed the record, un-official yet to be confirmed, there is a process to be followed. 987 consecutive rolls :ok:

And in a remarkable display of airmanship successfully put the aircraft down in a paddock.

porch monkey
1st Mar 2014, 22:44
Okay, I'll bite, why?

Homesick-Angel
1st Mar 2014, 23:48
Probably a bit dizzy.....

VH-XXX
1st Mar 2014, 23:51
Plane flips in emergency landing at Lethbridge | The Courier (http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2121670/plane-flips-in-emergency-landing-at-lethbridge/?cs=62)

I believe the engine gave up short of 1,000 :ouch:

Wally Mk2
2nd Mar 2014, 00:02
What an amazing feat, he's obviously nuts but congrats anyway:ok::D

I see that after all that the guy had to ask for permission to make an emergency ldg in a paddock,must have been a restricted paddock:E
Gotta luv the media!
I guess his next attempt (if he does that) would be to roll the opposite direction, so he can unwind:E

Wmk2

The Volcan
5th Mar 2014, 13:30
what a great effort, for a Aussie Pilot:ok:

Humbly Reserved
6th Mar 2014, 12:10
Who'd be nuts enough to lend another aeroplane to this bloke. Solid effort though, but I bet the owner's pissed...

NoseGear
6th Mar 2014, 12:55
That is an amazing effort! Well done and I am a happy and humble donator to your cause, before you went all silly and did like a THOUSAND rolls!;) Incredible effort mate, truly.:ok:

Jack Ranga
6th Mar 2014, 20:01
Who'd be nuts enough to lend another aeroplane to this bloke. Solid effort though, but I bet the owner's pissed...

As his feat suggests, he's a far superior pilot to the majority of pilots getting around. He is one of 3 owners of the aircraft. Both the other owners were present. Their only concern was that of his safety :ok:

VH-XXX
6th Mar 2014, 21:12
It's a Pitts, it's meant to be thrown around like a bumble bee, that's what it's built for !

Avgas172
8th Mar 2014, 10:06
Well done Kingsley .... Any landing you walk away from is a good one :ok:

BULLDOG 248
8th Mar 2014, 10:59
What a great effort and great cause. But what was the cause of the engine failure if anyone knows???

Wally Mk2
9th Mar 2014, 09:20
'JR' sent you a PM about an unrelated matter:ok:

Wmk2

djpil
6th Jun 2014, 06:49
But what was the cause of the engine failure if anyone knows???The ATSB report is available here: Investigation: AO-2014-036 - Engine failure involving an amateur built Pitts S1S, VH-URP, 6 km south Lethbridge Airport, Victoria on 1 March 2014 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2014/aair/ao-2014-036.aspx)and the only mention of a possible cause is The pilot reported that the ‘flop tube’ may have become stuck. It supplies the engine with fuel from the top of the tank when the aircraft is inverted.(The flop tube also supplies the engine from the bottom of the tank when the aircraft is upright.) The ATSB didn't take any interest in the cause that I can see. How can a flop tube get stuck?

There have been reports of old flop tubes losing flexibility so not reaching the bottom (or top when inverted) of the tank when the fuel level gets low - that is for the standard, large single tank in the Pitts - refer Pitts Service Bulletin #34. http://aviataircraft.com/pix/pbulletins/sb34.pdf

I happened to see this aeroplane at Oshkosh some years ago. Aircraft N225SC (1998 Pitts S-1S C/N 001) Photo by Connector (Photo ID: AC725780) (http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000725780.html) Far from a standard S-1S. If my recollection is correct it also has a fuel header tank below the main tank - not standard in factory-built Pitts but fairly common in Experimental ones used in serious competition. If that is the case, the information in the standard S-1S flight manual would not apply to the fuel system.

I fly another certified type which has a header tank and its manual includes this info:
... a sequence of maneuvers involving a large percent of negative "g" maneuvers may exhaust the inverted fuel supply.
Just the one fuel supply so no fuel will get to the engine even if you then go upright until ..
Approximately one minute of positive "g" conditions is required to completely refill the inverted fuel supply.i.e. the header tank.
WARNING Complete loss of fuel flow and power, caused by depletion of inverted fuel supply, may result in an interruption of power for up to 10 seconds after return to normal flight. AVOID THIS CONDITION UNLESS SUFFICIENT ALTITUDE INSURES SAFE RESTART.

The last statement in that ATSB report was: For this occurrence, a limited-scope, fact-gathering investigation was conducted in order to produce a short summary report, and allow for greater industry awareness of potential
safety issues and possible safety actions. A bit light on wrt fact-gathering and awareness of safety issues in my opinion.

I wonder if anyone bothers to add useful notes in the flight manual when they modify aerobatic aircraft.

I wonder if anyone bothers to tell other people when they have problems with aerobatic aircraft or do they just let other people find out problems for themselves. The International Aerobatic Club has a website where people can share issues (anonymously if desired - some people, understandably these days, don't want to report stuff to ATSB or CASA) http://www.usnationalaerobatics.org/IACSafetyForum/default.aspx?g=forum