PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lt E F (Eddy) Smeeth

RSuppards
24th Feb 2014, 20:03
With great regret I pass on news of the death of Eddy Smeeth at the age of 90. After joining the RAF in 1942 Eddy trained in the USA before his first tour on P47 Thunderbolts with 60 Sqn in Burma. Remaining in the RAF after the war as a fighter pilot he qualified on jets later becoming an instructor at Cranwell. He was in at the beginning with the V Force and as an experienced fighter and bomber pilot he led one of the first Victor crews when the Victor replaced the Valiant in the tanking role. His last tour was at Shawbury where he commanded 8 AEF flying Chipmunks. After he gave up Command he remained with the flight as the VR Flight Commander for a further 5 years. His funeral will take place at 1130am in Alberbury Church, Shropshire next Monday, 3rd of March 2014. RIP Eddy, you taught a lot of people and you certainly taught me a lot.

Top West 50
24th Feb 2014, 20:17
He was my first captain in 1965. Smeeth, Brown, Bowen, Maunders, West. Great memories!

26er
24th Feb 2014, 21:01
I had been with No 8 AEF for five years until 1981. When I left to transfer to No 6 AEF at Abingdon Eddie had been the boss for three years. An all round good egg. His main extra curricular interest was renovation of old furniture, and I seem to remember he had completed courses with intention of using the skills professionally after retirement.

4Screwaircrew
25th Feb 2014, 20:12
Eddy was the boss when I was a young Air Cadet, he had finished by the time I became a Staff Cadet on 8 AEF, I found him to be an inspirational chap.

Tankertrashnav
26th Feb 2014, 10:02
When I first went to Marham to convert to Victor tankers there were a number of very experienced chaps around, such as Dick Russell, Neddy Handscombe and of course Eddy Smeeth. I was somewhat in awe of these older, be-medalled guys, and rather shy about approaching them to talk. I now know this was a big mistake, as all were in fact very approachable and I could have learned a lot about the job by just chatting to them over a coffee.

Junior guys - seek out these sorts of blokes on your own stations and talk to them - they can teach you a lot.

RIP Eddy

RSuppards
3rd Mar 2014, 18:54
Eddy was carefully laid to rest in Shropshire this afternoon. A large turn out paid their due respects and his first Squadron, 60, provided a flypast 69 years after he joined them. A true gentleman he will be sadly missed.

Top West 50
4th Mar 2014, 06:58
Thank you for bringing Eddy's passing to my attention. It was a nice send off. Here are a couple of snaps from my archive:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k3p9dn748opqwvw/rZJ8d3xDjX

sangiovese.
4th Mar 2014, 16:43
Having just put 2 and 2 together, I think he gave me my first flight in a chipmunk whilst on ATC Sumer Camp at Valley in 1984. I remembered the name from the back of his helmet (although I thought it was SMEEF, but I was only 14!)- I always wondered who it was. All I can say is RIP and thank you for lighting the touchpaper to my flying career, many hours in the RAF and latterly in a UK airline's big red Airbus!

RIP, thank you and thanks for that first ever loop in a Chippie...

VictorNavrad
4th Mar 2014, 17:43
I remember Eddie from 232 OCU at Marham. Flew with him on 10 December 1970 - Exercise 10 night handling. Eddie and Jock Carroll were gentlemen who made learning to crew the Victor a pleasure.

RIP

Al R
4th Mar 2014, 18:35
Top West,

Nice to see a demijohn of Kokkers in that first snap.

Tankertrashnav
4th Mar 2014, 23:09
Al - wife just bought some oranges from the supermarket with their leaves still attached - 5 for £1 on special offer. She reminded me of the days when I could bring a box of 100 similar back from Cyprus for £1!

On return from Akrotiri, Annie's hatch down the back of the Victor usually resembled a licensed fruit and veg merchant's storeroom :ok:

Top West 50
5th Mar 2014, 09:52
Ah yes! Fruit went in the back but not Eddy's 7 foot by 3 foot slab of marble, purchased at Luqa for the construction of a table. This monster was manouvered into the bomb aimers compartment having been deemed too precious for rear cargo! I can't remember, but knowing Eddy, I probably wasn't allowed to do the landing back at Marham!

bluffossil
5th Mar 2014, 13:37
Eddy did my flying check at Shawbury in 1980 and has been a good friend at 8AEF reunions in recent years. A fitting send off with a fine eulogy at Alberbury on Monday 3rd March 2014. How did he ever see out of a Victor?

Tengah Type
5th Mar 2014, 20:27
I always enjoyed his company in the air and on the ground. He could see well enough from a Victor, but how did he ever see over the nose of a P47 Thunderbolt?