PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM) Lancaster to visit BBMF

Treble one
24th Feb 2014, 11:43
Details here. 'Once in a Lanc Time' indeed.

RAF BBMF To Host Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum Lancaster During Visit To England (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-bbmf-to-host-canadian-warplane-heritage-museum-lancaster-during-visit-to-england-24022014)

500N
24th Feb 2014, 11:44
:D :ok:

When was the last time 2 Lancasters flew together over UK skies ?

STN Ramp Rat
24th Feb 2014, 12:03
the Canadian news release

Canada's Lancaster bomber to cross Atlantic for U.K. tour - Hamilton - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/canada-s-lancaster-bomber-to-cross-atlantic-for-u-k-tour-1.2546757)

and you can buy a flight on it if you have the money...............

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Lancaster will also conduct a limited number of UK Bomber Membership flights from Humberside Airport while in England. This all inclusive membership includes the opportunity to be a crew member for a 30 minute flight in the Lancaster over selected historic airfields and bases of Lincolnshire, which is often referred to as Bomber County because of the number of Bomber Command Squadrons based there during the Second World War. We are limiting the membership flights to only 75. This is a "Once in a Lanc Time" opportunity and will not be available again
Each flight will have:
• 4 x UK Bomber Membership Seats @ £3,500 each
• 1 x UK Bomber Membership Cockpit Area seat @ £5,000 each
Flight dates: August 18, 19 20, 26 & 27 (3 flights per day: morning, mid-day & afternoon)

treadigraph
24th Feb 2014, 12:10
When was the last time 2 Lancasters flew together over UK skies ?

Possibly when the HAPS and Strathallan Lancs arrived in the 1960s and 1970s respectively, but did either ever manage to fly with the BBMF's example?

Now if only Just Jane could be ready to fly again by August... :)

NutLoose
24th Feb 2014, 12:16
you may find this a fascinating read, they literally do tons of stuff like this on the site.

Last Call for Lancasters > Vintage Wings of Canada (http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/455/language/en-CA/Last-Call-for-Lancasters.aspx)

N2erk
24th Feb 2014, 14:52
Rats!! I was about to post this news, but a trembler beat me to it. Could also be a good tie-in/excuse to visit East Kirkby also & see Just Jane.

Stitchbitch
24th Feb 2014, 17:02
A bit of a result for BBMF, the UK airshow scene and for some of those who haven't been lucky enough to thunder through the sky on the power of four merlins :D

fallmonk
24th Feb 2014, 18:40
Shame no Leuchars to see them up north,
can only hope it flys in via Prestwick

54Phan
24th Feb 2014, 19:49
That's great news!

thunderbird7
25th Feb 2014, 03:25
That will be quite an amazing sight to see.

Pontius Navigator
25th Feb 2014, 10:18
I must check my log book and price it up :)

NutLoose
25th Feb 2014, 11:51
Get Just Jane finished and we are nearly sorted for reforming 617 again

Geezers of Nazareth
25th Feb 2014, 15:39
I can't imagine that there won't be an organised flypast by both aircraft overhead 'Just Jane' with all four engines on JJ running.

The Helpful Stacker
25th Feb 2014, 16:18
Two Lancs down Derwent Water?

oldmansquipper
25th Feb 2014, 16:32
FFS! Nobody tell the Government ...please!

They will identify two Lancs as one too many and instigate a cost saving measure quickly reducing it to one (Probably the Canuck one). All the money saved will be put towards buying a coffee machine for politicians to use as they swan up and down the country on HS2.

:*

Alber Ratman
25th Feb 2014, 19:39
if it is flying in the UK under a PtF, how can they charge a passenger fee? They are breaking the law in this country in my understanding if they do. There are ways and means, but charging for a seat is illegal.

500N
25th Feb 2014, 19:52
Two Lancs down Derwent Water?

That would be worth seeing.

STN Ramp Rat
26th Feb 2014, 07:50
if it is flying in the UK under a PtF, how can they charge a passenger fee?
They are breaking the law in this country in my understanding if they do. There
are ways and means, but charging for a seat is illegal.

I believe you are paying a membership fee and as a member of the society one of the benefits is a flight, I don't believe you are paying to fly

Alber Ratman
26th Feb 2014, 08:49
Different rates and mentioning seats sounds like a ticket.. Why doesn't XH558 do this? Seriously, if you read the PtF regs, they are close to the mark IMHO, but they surely have put this through the CAA first and the airframe will have to qualify for PtF status to fly here, I assume that is the SMI that must be done to it when it arrives..

GeeRam
26th Feb 2014, 18:56
Seriously, if you read the PtF regs, they are close to the mark IMHO, but they surely have put this through the CAA first

This has all been organised and agreed with the CAA prior to the announcement.

Gnd
26th Feb 2014, 19:11
If you put it through the Campaign Against Aviation one of two things will happen:
1) they will ban it or
2) they will take a cut

Got to love having regs quoted at you when such a phenomenal opportunity arises (I bet they are starved of cash the same as other private, non Gov, companies;)) - that is why UK flying is in such a sorry (expensive) state! Is it more dangerous because they are paying or do you only get the safety brief if you pay?

Can't wait for the formation, wonderful!

NutLoose
26th Feb 2014, 19:13
It's not actually on the UK register but the Canadian one, as said as a member they are apparently part owners of the aircraft, so can fly in their own aircraft.

The regulations are being looked at and are possibly changing in the UK which will allow passenger flight in the likes of Spitfires etc. If you wish you can read them on line.

Alber Ratman
26th Feb 2014, 21:04
Checking on the Canadian register, its on a permit to fly, with all that entails to fly here. The CAA happy for it to do members flights, that's their call. If you wish to spend £5000 to fly for 30 minutes, that's your call.

Nutloose, do you have the link to the discussion? Seen nothing like that anywhere?

NutLoose
26th Feb 2014, 21:44
Alber read the last couple of paragraphs

https://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2537/Annex%201%20to%20Invitation%20to%20Comment.pdf

Alber Ratman
27th Feb 2014, 13:48
Thanks for that.

Alber Ratman
27th Feb 2014, 19:17
Interesting reading Nutloose, it seems the CAA will change the PtF regulations allowing operators that can set up and operate an effective CAMO the chance to self validate their aircraft and bring PtF maintenance organisation in line with PART M and additionally means to source approved parts. They haven't mentioned C of A as such allowing AOC, however such a path as they say could led to authorisation of some official commercial activity. One does hope so.