PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Powered Wood & Fabric Aircraft... Does one exist?

Chopper OZ
24th Feb 2014, 06:40
One for the aero-sexuals maybe....

In this wonderful age of "EASA-ism", CASA have as usual made something straight forward a dogs breakfast.

In this case I'm referring to the LAME CASR66 License. CASA in their due diligence have restricted everybody's B1.1 license with an exclusion for wooden structure and fabric aircraft.

It seems insignificant but has become a massive pain in the back passage for foreign license conversions when you an expat.

My question is:

Is there a B1.1 - Turbine powered aeroplane with wooden structure and fabric skin?

If there is, my guess is that it is in a museum?

Only thing I can think of is a Piper Pawnee, but I don't know if its wooden structured. It is also Piston Powered...

Yes, the training module & practical exp is available at the money laundry (AKA Aviation Australia) to remove the exclusion, but it is a waste of good $$$ when it's seemingly completely F@*king irrelevant!! Especially when the oldest aircraft type I hold is B733/CFM56...

Thanks CASA.

funnelweb
24th Feb 2014, 07:42
DH 100 Vampire

John Hill
24th Feb 2014, 07:43
Well it might be a Vampire etc, wooden structure to keep the wind off the pilot and fabric over the wood but maybe not what is meant by fabric covered. Turbine behind the pilot's seat.

Maybe something like a Zlin Z-37T Cmelak (Bumble-bee) agricultural aircraft, Walter turbine up front and fabric covered fuselage we have one in our museum but I am sure the fuselage frame is metal tube not wood.

mightyauster
24th Feb 2014, 07:44
The de Havilland Vampire/Venom series of jet fighters and trainers had a wooden fuselage pod that was fabric covered. :)

PLovett
24th Feb 2014, 07:56
Certainly was in the UK when during the late 1960s' an aeronautical engineer decided to experiment with an industrial turbine in a Curry-Wot. A wood and fabric biplane. From memory they called it a Wizz-Wot.

'Tis mentioned in the Wikkie link.

Currie Wot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currie_Wot)

edsbar
24th Feb 2014, 08:29
Not all of us have the exclusion, if you held groups 3 & 4 it is not shown.

Part 66 is the greatest screw up CASA have ever implemented, the old licence system was one of our better systems and worked. We all knew what we could and could not do, this is a monumental f&@k up that is recognised by no other country.

Chopper OZ
24th Feb 2014, 15:17
CASA is generally recognised by most countries/regulators as its an ICAO Annexe I license. Nearly all except EASA of course.. whom everyone has copied.

It is daft. Because I had the old groups 1,5,6 and 10, I now have a 2 page list of aircraft I am licensed on but have never worked on. I can now relish the opportunity to apply for the DC4 LAME job I never wish I had :ugh:

I think this could be the million dollar question for Hot Seat (if its still on TV).

ad-astra
24th Feb 2014, 18:18
Not wood construction but Dornier 228 I believe has a fabric tailplane.

pithblot
24th Feb 2014, 23:21
edsbar,

I don't know about the DO28, or the DO228NG, but the DO228-200 has a fabric elevator.

StallsandSpins
25th Feb 2014, 02:24
how about the miles sparrowjet
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/6/2/3/1569326.jpg

Miles Sparrowjet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Sparrowjet)

Old Akro
26th Feb 2014, 21:09
A guy named Sam Burgess put an Allison Turboprop in a Bucker Jumgmeister

Bücker Bü 133 'Jungmeister' - V Aviation (http://www.v-aviation.com/12.html)

If memory serves, he took it out and put in a Walter radial after he set a time to climb record or something similar.

privateer01
28th Feb 2014, 23:14
Maule had a turboprop with fabric....

No wood tho....

Hasherucf
28th Feb 2014, 23:51
I don't get it. Why worry if you have a Rag and Stick restriction. How does that affect you?

T28D
1st Mar 2014, 03:35
There is a pure jet self launching glider on the register !!

LeadSled
1st Mar 2014, 03:59
T28D,
And a well known citizen of NSW has one, what an unholy noise it makes.
Just as well the glider exemption ( on the basis that gliders don't have an engine) against the post -1983 (or thereabouts) noise certification standards, applies.
If some of the noise could be converted to thrust, that very unspectacular self-launching performance would be greatly enhanced. Brought back memories of the original non-fan B707 and DC-8. May not have been 120+ pndb, but "sounded" like it!!
Tootle pip!!

aintsaying
6th Jul 2014, 05:49
Chopper OZ
I have been looking around for the same answer, CASA have not answered me yet.
B1.1 is for turbine engine aircraft.
B1.2 is for Piston engine aircraft.
B1.2 was Airframe Group 3 and 4 under CAR30.

AC66-5 v1.2, June 2014, Appendix A states Airframe group 3 and 4 is now B1.2 and thay have the E9 and E10 exclusions.

I have asked CASA for the listing of any Turbine powered and Wooden structured aircraft in Australia.
I have all boeing and all airbus ratings on my CASA B1.1 licence. Stuffed if I can see whay I need a Fabric or Wood retardation added to my licence.

Anyone else get an answer from CASA?

Arnold E
6th Jul 2014, 09:54
I can now relish the opportunity to apply for the DC4 LAME job I never wish I had

I wouldnt mind working on a DC4, which I am also licenced on.:)

dubbleyew eight
6th Jul 2014, 10:26
probably not in australia.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Auster_J.1_Rover_G-AGVI_BLA_23.07.66_edited-2.jpg

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Jul 2014, 11:17
Turbine Auster?

What a waste of a turbine! :E

dubbleyew eight
6th Jul 2014, 11:19
hundred horsepower, half the weight. stuff the fuel burn.

Eyrie
7th Jul 2014, 00:53
That jet glider is a straight, fairly crude conversion of a piston sustainer engined ASH25E.
It has what I consider inadequate thrust to weight (80Kg thrust, 800 Kg weight - you need around 0.14 T/W for a good jet glider) and single engine performance partly due to the drag of the engine installation when engines are extended. There is also no airframe shielding of the noise when the engines are running due to their location and no exhaust treatment.
This can and should all be done much better.