PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 ECG issue...

mike172
23rd Feb 2014, 18:07
I know this has been done to death on on here but I'm looking for some advice/reassurance anyway.

I recently had my initial class 1 at Gatwick. Everything was fine but for my ECG, which showed up a 'minor abnormality'. I just got the letter back and my ECG shows Ventricular Ectopy with possible atrial enlargement.

I've read through the previous threads regarding similar issues which has reassured me somewhat but should I honestly be worried? Having a PPL and therefore a valid class 2 has got me worried that maybe I could lose that along with my dreams of flying for living.

I need to have a clinical report, 24 hour ECG and a echocardiogram. The letter states that I should make arrangements for these follow up tests, but that I can return to have them done at Gatwick if I wish.

Could anyone who has been in a similar position in the past tell me the best way of going about this? Who would I go through if I didn't go through Gatwick? Would my GP or my local hospital be my first port of call?

I'm hoping this is nothing to worry about but I just want it sorted as quickly as possible as the waiting is the worst thing!

Thanks in advance.

Leo45
23rd Feb 2014, 19:38
Well, if all the required investigations can be done at the CAA, then I would have them done there.

In the past, I underwent two cardiologic assessments with the CAA at Gatwick - one for ventricular ectopy and the other one for RBBB. Despite these two problems, I still hold an unrestricted Class 1 (though I was temporary restricted to OML for a year in the latter case).

I've found the consultants and the AMEs at Gatwick very fair and helpful. Rest assured that the CAA medical staff are not there to fail you. It is certainly not their mindset.

Wishing you all the best!

Radgirl
23rd Feb 2014, 20:27
Going back to Gatwick may indeed be the easiest option and if everything is ok and you get your medical that will prove the best course

However if the CAA are not happy you are left with no cardiologist to fight your corner as the CAA can't argue with itself. Many pilots have found it beneficial to go to an outside doctor who can not only perform the tests but dispute the clinical significance of a borderline or less an normal result

PM me if you want some names. You would be able to get a quote before committing.

mike172
24th Feb 2014, 21:37
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've made an appointment to see my GP but that is in almost two weeks so if I can do anything in the meantime I will.

I'm pretty nervous to be honest... How normal is this sort of thing and should I be worried? My initial class 2 ECG didn't show up anything and although that was around eight years ago I can't imagine all that much has changed in such a relatively short period of time. But then I don't really have a clue on these things...

Can any cardiologist make these further assessments then, and once I get the results do I just send them back to Gatwick?

And if this is resolved will this just become a recurring issue at every medical I have in the future?

Radgirl
24th Feb 2014, 21:46
I appreciate you are concerned. Eight years is a long time for an ECG to change BUT the changes may or may not be real, and if real may or may not be important. I am afraid further conjecture will not help you.

If the CAA have told you you can get the tests done elsewhere there is nothing to stop you seeking out a cardiologist without further delay.

And it is highly likely that once this is sorted you will not need to go through all this again

mike172
25th Feb 2014, 09:31
Thanks radgirl, I'll try to remain positive, though playing the waiting game when it comes to my health and career isn't much fun!

MaximumPete
25th Feb 2014, 11:43
I had a very different problem but I found the consultants at the CAA extremely helpful and supportive. They wanted to get me back flying.

mike172
26th Feb 2014, 20:12
I couldn't agree more, Pete. Everyone I came into contact with at Gatwick was friendly, professional and, most importantly once finding out the result, reassuring. And the poor girl on the phone who was more than happy answering my hundreds of questions!