PDA

View Full Version : "Upgrading" a Part-FCL Licence - How does it work in the real world?

Level Attitude
23rd Feb 2014, 10:32
FCL.045 says a pilot may not fly unless they have their Licence with them.

FCL.015 says a pilot may not have more than one Licence (per Category).

How are Competent Authorities managing these requirements for
Part-FCL PPL Holders applying for a CPL and Part-FCL CPL Holders
applying for an ATPL?

Not issuing the new Licence unless application is accompanied by old one?
In which case pilot may not fly until new one arrives.

Issuing new Licence with an accompanying letter stating old Licence
must be returned/destroyed?

Ignoring it?

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet, and what happened?

Curtis E Carr
23rd Feb 2014, 10:38
Who said anything about handing in an old licence?

nick14
23rd Feb 2014, 10:51
I still have all my old ones.

Its a simple exercise in which you apply for a new one, fly with the old one and then once the new one is issued you fly with that one. The new licence superceeds the old one.

Level Attitude
23rd Feb 2014, 11:20
Quick replies guys. Did you actually read the question?
Who said anything about handing in an old licence?Part-FCL.015: " a person may not at any time hold more than one Licence"
I still have all my old ones.Are these "old ones" of which you speak old Part-FCL Licences?

RTN11
23rd Feb 2014, 13:59
Any old JAR licences automatically became part fcl, until they expire, at which point you will be issued with a part fcl licence which is valid for life.

If you upgrade your licence in the meantime, they issue a new life time licence which included the old one.

Level Attitude
23rd Feb 2014, 14:44
Any old JAR licences automatically became part fcl, until they expire,
at which point you will be issued with a part fcl licence which is
valid for life.

If you upgrade your licence in the meantime, they issue a new life time
licence which included the old one. Answers are great, but not if they ignore the question.

To Recap:
Does anyone know of anyone who held an actual Part-FCL PPL and then
applied for a Part-FCL CPL?

Does anyone know of anyone who held an actual Part-FCL CPL and then
applied for a Part-FCL ATPL?

What happened?

chrisbl
23rd Feb 2014, 16:14
The Part FCL CPL includes a Fart FCL
The Part FCL ATPL includes both CPL and PPL privileges.

Whopity
23rd Feb 2014, 16:23
To answer the original question. The CAA issue you a new licence page with the additional privileges. They do not ask for the old licence page back, you keep it. Technically, you only have one licence, but you do have two licence pages the old one and the new one with additional privileges. Since you are only recorded once in their data base you only have one licence so that complies with the regulation. If both bits of paper contain a valid privilege you could legally use either. Who cares everyone is happy and the regulation has been cpomplied with.

What I think they are more concerned about is persons holding licences issued by more than one administration where you could have one removed yet retain the privileges on another.

Level Attitude
23rd Feb 2014, 19:06
Technically, you only have one licenceIf both bits of paper contain a valid privilege you could legally use eitherThanks Whopity,
I'm not sure I'd agree with the second quote of yours above, but I guess it
comes down to the interpretation of what "holding a Licence" means.

I was trying to confirm how pragmatic Competent Authorities (particularly
the UK CAA) were being in this regard.
They do not ask for the old licence page back, you keep itIn which case no problem.

Trim Stab
24th Feb 2014, 05:42
I have two Part-FCL licences now. I have done my best to convert them into one, but the French DGAC will not accept my ICAO 6 English from my CAA licence - so I have kept them both.

S-Works
24th Feb 2014, 07:13
Only the licence where your medical records are kept is valid.

Trim Stab
24th Feb 2014, 08:43
Only the licence where your medical records are kept is valid.

True - but the ICAO 6 English on my PPL is valid for life. The fact that my medical records are in France doesn't mean that suddenly I am unable to speak English!

S-Works
24th Feb 2014, 09:28
Maybe so. But the only licence that you hold which is legal to fly with is the one issued from the state that holds your medical records. Your view on the lunacy of the situation does not override the legal position.

You would be better served asking the DGAC what is needed to get the level 6 on your licence.