PDA

View Full Version : Franz Joseph Helicopters

MightyGem
23rd Feb 2014, 05:34
Any of the pilots here on Pprune? Was here today watching you flying up to the glacier, making the most of this morning's weather.

Wander00
23rd Feb 2014, 07:53
What Warrington, glacier? I know it has been cold in Northern UK, but a glacier??

SuperF
23rd Feb 2014, 07:55
Franz Joseph Glacier in NZ?? maybe

HeliHenri
23rd Feb 2014, 07:59

Glacier Helicopters : http://http://www.glacierhelicopters.co.nz/

MightyGem
23rd Feb 2014, 08:12
Yes, NZ. Having a bit of a holiday. :ok: :ok:

Wander00
23rd Feb 2014, 08:46
It was a joke, honest.

Enjoy NZ - a place I have always wanted to see - used to live near Lymington: lots of visitors to NZ send a card from Milford NZ to Milford on Sea UK - 2 more different places difficult to imagine, but each has a charm of its own

Andy_P
23rd Feb 2014, 09:46
If you want to fly the glaciers in NZ, head to Te Anau and use the mob that flies from the lake there, I think its southern cross helicopters IIRC. I have done a few heli tours there and the company that flew out of Te Anau was the best.

There was also a mob that flew out of some place on the west coast, south of greymouth that flew up to fox or franz joseph glaciers that seem quite reasonable. They had a green R44 i think.

BTW, the R44 is the best heli for NZ tours, the companies that fly the larger helis will screw you around till they get a full flight, and when you have 6 seats, there is always 2 people that will miss out on a window seat.

500N
23rd Feb 2014, 10:26
Milford NZ - Sand fly central :O

SuperF
24th Feb 2014, 07:41
Southern Lakes Helicopters, is the company in Te anau

The one down the West coast, probably Fox and Franz Helicopters. Also Glacier Helicopters and The Helicopter Line operate down the coast.

personally i would fly with one of the above. you could race around and go for the cheap guy that cant afford to put a turbine on to take you to 13,000'. but myself i would pick the guys that have been doing it for 20 or 30 years in 500's 206s and as350's.

Andy_P
24th Feb 2014, 08:39
Southern Lakes Helicopters, is the company in Te anau

The one down the West coast, probably Fox and Franz Helicopters. Also Glacier Helicopters and The Helicopter Line operate down the coast.

personally i would fly with one of the above. you could race around and go for the cheap guy that cant afford to put a turbine on to take you to 13,000'. but myself i would pick the guys that have been doing it for 20 or 30 years in 500's 206s and as350's.

I went up in an R44 with Southern Lakes Heli's. As far as I am concerned, it was the best trip I did there.