PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry about Pilot Cadet ships in Australia

johnappleseed123
23rd Feb 2014, 01:57
Hi,

I'm currently in high school and want to become a commercial airline pilot. Currently i have two options.

1) There is a university degree which lasts 4 years.
University of South Australia > Program > Bachelor of Aviation (http://programs.unisa.edu.au/public/pcms/program.aspx?pageid=284&sid=106)
University of South Australia > Program > Graduate Diploma in Aviation (http://programs.unisa.edu.au/public/pcms/program.aspx?pageid=336&sid=110)

The first 3 years are all theory and no flying and it covers a wide range of aviation topics most of which are not needed to become a pilot. The fourth year is an extension from the first 3 years and is apart of the universities flight school. It isn't airline sponsored or anything which means i would have to look for a job on my own after i finish this.

2) I apply for an airline sponsored cadet-ship. At the moment, Virgin Australia is offering the best one for me because of the location. Qantas has suspended its program and I have no idea if they will ever re open it. If I apply for the Virgin Australia program there's a big chance I wont get selected. Approx 1200 people applied and 8 get selected so its a big gamble.

What is the better option? Are there any better cadet-ships available? and if anyone has applied to any of these and went through the process i would be more than grateful if you would share your experience.

Thank you :D

The Green Goblin
23rd Feb 2014, 07:49
I don't know much about cadet ships, but I heard the Queen Mary 2 is in Australia at present. I would say you might find some cadets there, but due to the vast debt and low starting wages you might not find many that can afford to be there.

Good luck.

Hempy
23rd Feb 2014, 08:03
^ and so it begins...

in before lock :-)

morno
23rd Feb 2014, 08:04
John,
Have you considered the big wide world of aviation outside of an airline? And how you can work your way through that?

A cadetship (as opposed to a cadet-ship), is a very expensive way to get into flying, and after 10 years of belting around in a fully automated jet, you could be wondering what you've missed out on by skipping straight into the right seat of an airliner.

morno

peterc005
23rd Feb 2014, 11:47
All of the QantasLink pilot jobs seem to want "a fully completed Bachelor's Degree in any Discipline":

QantasLink Recruitment: Attention (http://qantaslink.bfound.net/det-entry.aspx?jobid=30950&CoId=189&rq=2)

Airline Cadetships and integrated Uni degrees seem to be the way of the future.

In response to the first post, anyone wanting an airline pilot career and offered a Jetstar Cadetship or similar would be crazy not to jump at the opportunity.

deadcut
23rd Feb 2014, 12:47
Yes I'd leap at the opportunity to pay 100k more for training!

Edit: also a uni degree is optional if you didn't pass year 12.

I mean a university degree to fly a plane? You have to be f***ing kidding me.

peterc005
23rd Feb 2014, 13:09
The integrated uni courses have helped democratise aviation as a career, because access to FEE HELP/HECS means that not only kids from rich families have this career option.

If the integrated course gets someone thru their training and into the airlines quicker, the premium they pay for a uni-based course is worth it.

BlatantLiar
23rd Feb 2014, 20:09
If the integrated course gets someone thru their training and into the airlines quicker, the premium they pay for a uni-based course is worth it.

How can you justify the said premium? It's not making you a better pilot. The premium is just there as a kick back for getting you straight into an airline right?

Black_Knight
23rd Feb 2014, 20:22
probably has something to do with paying for uni degree and for flight training.

the main difference is payments is deferred through the tax system so until your earning from the skills you just "Bought" you dont have to pay a dime back.

In virgin's case they employee you through the entire training process at $50k a year, 70k when you qualify as an FO, even if you take into account the debt payments on tax, 60k a year is a pretty good deal for a 21 year old pilot out of collage.

its also not a bad way to change careers as you can afford to live off that compared to the jetstar cadetship where you pay out the same, but have to earn a living while doing a full time live on course at least they offer you a job if you pass the course,

Qantas wont even promise a job if you pass the course.

kingRB
24th Feb 2014, 03:20
The integrated uni courses have helped democratise aviation as a career, because access to FEE HELP/HECS means that not only kids from rich families have this career option.

Funny that, my family definitely was not rich, nor did my parents pay for any of my flying.

I didn't get any fee help and I didn't get segregated out of this career option, because I went out an earned it.