PDA

View Full Version : JAA/FAA LICENCE CONVERSION

freds
21st Feb 2014, 12:13
Hi,

Apologies if this subject is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find any up to date information on this.

I have a JAA ATPL with a Hawker rating. I am due to go to the sim for recurrant training in May and I was hoping to take the opportunity to do an FAA checkride (having already done the written exam and licence validation.)

I spoke to the TRTO concerned and they said that I had to follow the FAA 'footprint' which involves a 6 day course, 2 days ground schooling and 4 days in the sim.

Does anyone know if this is now the only way of getting an FAA licence or is there a cheaper option (possibly in the US)?

Many thanks in advance for any help

francoma
21st Feb 2014, 14:47
Hi Freds,

I did the conversion some months ago at Flight Safety. I confirm you all.
At FSI in order to do the FAA ATP skill test you have to take a course called "prior experience course". It takes one extra sim if you are there to do the Easa recurrent.

Bye bye
Frank.

MarkerInbound
21st Feb 2014, 15:33
This question comes up every couple months in the North America FAA ATP sticky. Each FAA approved TRTO will have a list of approved syllabuses. Each syllabus will have a list of requirements (no jet time, time in other jets, time in type but no type rating, etc.) The days of just showing up and taking a checkride for a type rating went away about 20 years ago.

freds
21st Feb 2014, 21:06
Many thanks Frank, I will try Flightsafety and see what they can offer

uberwang
22nd Feb 2014, 09:13
Had this problem some years ago. Anyone been in contact yet for a price? I was quoted something horrible for the experience course. Heard of several people who had straight check rides at CAE but thats only a rumour.

francoma
23rd Feb 2014, 10:49
With FSI if you're under the "full service contract" is free of charge...at least until the new faa rules will come in effect.

frank

mgTF
24th Feb 2014, 21:23
Which new rules?

Klimax
24th Feb 2014, 23:07
Just did my EASA to FAA ATP AMEL incl. t/r at FSI Orlando recently. My setup was as a "prior experience". Besides from some aftermath paperwork everything worked seamlessly. Standard course recurrent ground school and simulator time - with two recurrent sessions, one EASA LPC and the FAA ATP check ride, including oral exam etc.

Cheers,
K.