PDA

View Full Version : TTMRA question...

Aphex1
21st Feb 2014, 02:35
Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller. A quick question regarding the TTMRA between Aussie and UnZud -

My situation: I originally held a CPL and MECIR in Aus, then transfered it to NZ. Work in NZ for a bit for a Part 121 operator (on an OCA check cycle, so NZ IF rating only valid for company ops) and then decide to come back to the mother land (Aussie), however by this time my Aus MECIR has been expired more than 12 months.. Can I transfer my NZ rating (which I gained under the TTMRA) back to Aussie?

I've had a couple of different answers from both the CAA and CASA - not really that surprising. :ugh: I can't seem to find much in writing for this scenario either...

Anyone out there been in this situation?

Regards,

Creampuff
21st Feb 2014, 19:35
But if the holder of an NZ licence and current NZ instrument rating comes to Australia, isn’t the holder entitled to get, and exercise the privileges of, an Australian licence and current Australian instrument rating?

Alpex isn’t renewing his Australian instrument rating. He’s getting his NZ privileges recognised in Australia.

Creampuff
21st Feb 2014, 19:49
Only professional flight crew licences (ie. commercial and air transport pilot licences, and flight engineer licences) may be recognized under the provisions of TTMRA along with ratings and endorsements held on those licences. Applicants are not required to satisfy any Australian aeronautical experience requirements if applying for an Australian licence and/or rating under the TTMRA.

Qualifications presented for recognition under TTMRA must be current at the time of application (eg. within the last 12 months prior to application for instructor and instrument ratings). A full certified copy of the renewal flight test stamped in the pilot’s logbook showing date of test, navaids tested, s/e, m/e, or C Cat, B Cat FIRs, etc.) must be presented when requesting an equivalent issue.

Ratings associated with the TTMRA application must have at least 28 days of validity when received by CASA to guarantee that, if assessed and deemed fit for the qualification, it will be transferred to the CASA licence. … http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/download/ttmra.pdf

If your NZ instrument rating is current, you are entitled to get an Australian instrument rating on your Australian licence under the TTMRA. If you get a different answer from anyone in CASA, send them their 'IDOT' sign, call someone else and repeat until you get the correct answer. :ok:

Oktas8
21st Feb 2014, 20:26
Aphex1, I had a similar situation to yours.

The TTMRA can only be used to get the initial issue of a qualification in either country. As you have previously held an Australian IR, you cannot tick the "IR" box on the TTMRA form. You must get the Australian IR renewed by conventional means. It cost me $2500!

Creampuff, what you think is what I used to think. The purpose of the TTMRA is to facilitate the free movement of aviation professionals between the Aust & NZ markets. Unfortunately CASA has managed to distort it into a once-off privilege, never to be exercised again. Worse, they don't even permit full privileges to be transferred.

Best of luck,
O8

Freewheel
21st Feb 2014, 20:37
O8,

Close, CASA now interprets the TTMRA in a similar way to how the CAA interpreted it from the very beginning.......

Creampuff
21st Feb 2014, 20:47
Sounds like those 'IDIOT' signs are going to be in demand!

Aphex1
21st Feb 2014, 21:02
I was afraid this was going to be the case -

So basically if I let the Aus MECIR expire while I'm in NZ, and then decide to go back to Aus in a few years - even if I've just been flying IFR around NZ for the last two years up until when I leave, I no longer hold a rating, great !

Thanks for the input guys, can get a little confusing :bored:

training wheels
21st Feb 2014, 23:55
I thought it was possible to have your instrument rating renewed overseas in selected countries which includes New Zealand. Have a look at CAO 40.2.1 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009C00139) under section 12 and 12A Renewal using an overseas flight simulator training provider. This may apply to you.

Oktas8
22nd Feb 2014, 01:23
Freewheel,

A cryptic comment indeed, there! I've reviewed the CASA documents, and they don't seem to have changed. How exactly have CASA changed their TTMRA interpretation?

i.e. a renewal of an instrument rating outside Australia (i.e. in NZ) does NOT satisfy the requirement of a renewal of their Australian instrument rating. If the Australian instrument rating has expired for more than 12 months, the licence holder will be required to sit the IREX theory exam prior to the issue of the rating, as it will now be considered an initial issue.

Oh my goodness. If I spend a year flying overseas - DANGER! DANGER! - I have clearly forgotten how to fly safely in Australia. Even the EU would grant me five years' absence before making me resit theory exams. :ugh:

And, they've contradicted themselves. If I need an "initial issue" process to regain my IR, then TTMRA should apply. If it is merely a renewal, then I should not need an IREX. CASA is trying, as usual, to have it both ways, at considerable cost and zero safety benefit.

Creampuff
22nd Feb 2014, 01:27
So why is it not legal to exercise the privileges of the NZ instrument rating in Australia? :confused:

Chocks Away
22nd Feb 2014, 01:28
Aphex1, what binds you is the OCA Cyclic system you're in.
It's only valid for IFR ops with that airline and so long as you remain with them.
Same with PacBro, even though they fly dual ZK/VH, their NZ IFR rating is valid for both regions, so long as they complete & remain in the cyclic program (which happens to intergrate Aust IFR & renewal components) . This is specially stated on their Australian Licence (unless changed recently) and is logbook stamped accordingly.
A condition of leaving/resignation usually is that they renew your MECIR and logbook stamps because it was a requirement to apply with them current and valid!
Many simply hired the ol'Dutchy/Seminole outside and did it themselves.
The Oz rating does need to be "kept alive" and it is always a consideration for expats in Foreign airlines.

Oktas8
22nd Feb 2014, 01:29
I imagine it is, Creampuff. On ZK registration of course! :ok: