PDA

View Full Version : Emirates brand now valued at 5.5 billion

SOPS
20th Feb 2014, 14:09
And those that deliver the brand day in, day out, will get what come May?

Emirates Named Most Valuable Airline Brand Worldwide | News | Emirates United Arab Emirates (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=1561923&offset=0)

clearedfortaxi
20th Feb 2014, 15:26
does that mean Whatsapp is almost 4 times more valuable than Emirates? :confused:

CaptainChipotle
20th Feb 2014, 18:07
The BRAND is great, morale is extremely LOW. Is it May yet?

CC

Rule3
20th Feb 2014, 23:11
I believe that RTA has been scrapped. How much did they pay for that?

Chocks Away
20th Feb 2014, 23:37
"Most valuable" and on the attack (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/emirates-warns-of-protectionism/story-e6frg95x-1226833044933?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheAustralianBusAviation+%28The+Austral ian+|+Business+|+Aviation%29).

Machspeed
21st Feb 2014, 06:05
Most North Amercan's have still never heard of Emirates. We're just a speck against the nearly 30,000 flts per day. Value? Sure, amongst those who know.

lospilotos
21st Feb 2014, 07:15
Most North Amercan's have still never heard of Emirates. We're just a speck against the nearly 30,000 flts per day. Value? Sure, amongst those who know.

Most North Americans cannot even point out Europe on a world map, so they are perhaps not the best indicator of a brand value...

vaschandi
21st Feb 2014, 07:57
US Citizens Can't Find America - YouTube

Laker
21st Feb 2014, 10:16
Vaschandi,

Are you familiar with the word "satire?" That video was meant as comedy.

Steven Shehori: Poll: 37% of Americans Unable to Locate America on Map of America (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-shehori/poll-37-of-americans-unab_b_150933.html)

But since you are casting stones here's a fact for you. Roughly 10% of Brazilians do not know how to read or write vs less than 1% of Americans.

I'm constantly amazed how many professionals entrusted with operating a 200+ million dollar piece of machinery will believe just about anything they read or see on the internet.

CaptainChipotle
21st Feb 2014, 10:55
Los Pilotos??? The USA has the largest economy in the world (by far), so saying that they shouldn't be used as a good indicator of brand value is incorrect. Keep discovering, but don't quit your day job in the marketing field.

Now back to the actual thread… EK brand is great, employee morale is in the toilet.

Discuss… :D

Payscale
21st Feb 2014, 12:43
Laker FYI That would be 14% and not less than 1%.

U.S. Illiteracy Statistics Data
Percent of U.S. adults who can’t read 14 %
Number of U.S. adults who can’t read 32 Million
Percent of U.S. adults who read below a 5th grade level 21 %
Percent of prison inmates who can’t read 63 %
Percent of high school graduates who can’t read 19 %

Source: U.S. Department of Education, National Institute of Literacy
Research Date: 4.28.2013

Laker
21st Feb 2014, 13:10
Payscale,

If you researched the study you are referring to you would find that the 14% you mention are considered "functionally illiterate."

But as for being able to read a written word here are the stats:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2103.html

Thread drift over...back to Emirates having the most valuable brand, biggest fleet, etc, etc.

SubsonicMortal
21st Feb 2014, 13:46
For crying out loud... Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be called a pilot.

Seriously guys...

pilotrob23
21st Feb 2014, 14:22
America will always have Seth Rogan, Dan Akroyd, Jim Carrey, and Pamela Anderson. All is not lost!

SOPS
21st Feb 2014, 15:09
Talk about thread drift!!

LearBus
21st Feb 2014, 16:06
I'm starting to realize why the powers that be treat us like children.......:rolleyes:

Outatowner
21st Feb 2014, 17:50
Apparently it's only a fifth of Merikans don't know where to find Merika on a map. Good thing they have an FMC..... :rolleyes:

Miss S. Carolina has the solution to help the yanks find their own place on the map. It involves S. Africa and...... Iraq????

JtkX3OyPF4Q

Emma Royds
21st Feb 2014, 20:28
Due to the nature of our business, the value of the brand is at a significantly higher risk than the likes of Coca Cola or Nike (for example).

Airliner incidents and accidents fascinate the public and attract great media interest. A recall on a batch of soft drinks or for badly made trainers may briefly hit the press but Joe Public on the street will probably quickly forget about what happened and will keep on buying what they used to. The same can't be said when faced with booking a ticket to the other side of the world.

lospilotos
22nd Feb 2014, 01:52
Los Pilotos??? The USA has the largest economy in the world (by far), so saying that they shouldn't be used as a good indicator of brand value is incorrect. Keep discovering, but don't quit your day job in the marketing field.

Now back to the actual thread… EK brand is great, employee morale is in the toilet.

Discuss… :D

I think you used the "Don´t quit your day job" phrase a little wrong, but I understand what you are getting at...

I´m sorry if I touched a nerve there, I guess I could have made my point in a little less offensive way. My point is that the top 2 (by far) destinations for US outside the border are Canada and Mexico, followed by UK and continental Europe. Emirates is obviously not the first choice on those routes, hence brand knowledge is lower but it does not mean that it´s not a valuable brand, just because it´s not a household name in Kentucky...

pilotday
22nd Feb 2014, 02:00
wow, this is the quickest thread drift to "hatin' Merica" I have ever seen.

The hypocrisy of posters not publishing their home country is laughable.

Its easy to cast stones when you don't list your own **** hole country.

ironbutt57
22nd Feb 2014, 03:54
"Merica bashing is a long time favourite over here...trying to drag us down to their own level...it's ok...most of their flags fly today because American blood was shed to defend/return their country to them from invaders...and they know it..:ok:

And yes, the state of the education system in the USA is appalling...when one sees the calibre of people running it, it's understandable...

Payscale
22nd Feb 2014, 05:50
Laker

I stand corrected. :)

fliion
22nd Feb 2014, 07:38
Thread drift is one thing but when some 'savant' launches an attack on one nation without mentioning their own - it deserves attention.

The only statistic that anyone really cares about is:

US % of global GDP is 25.3%

US % of global population 4.52%

Back to the brand - Emma has is right, unless careful subject to a big fall.

f.

nolimitholdem
22nd Feb 2014, 07:57
How's that "brand" lookin' today at DXB boys? Looks more like the wheels have fallen off due a bit of fog. Doesn't exactly bode well for the looming single runway ops when every single IROP becomes a cluster-f.

lospilotos
22nd Feb 2014, 08:07
How's that "brand" lookin' today at DXB boys? Looks more like the wheels have fallen off due a bit of fog. Doesn't exactly bode well for the looming single runway ops when every single IROP becomes a cluster-f.

Don´t think a late forecast fog situation can be compared to long time planned reduction in capacity. Only 4 diversions for mainly URL flights that departed before FG was in the TAF. It´s how you handle these situation that makes or breaks the brand, as discussed in this thread: http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/534537-ryanairs-charm-offensive-hard-work.html

nolimitholdem
22nd Feb 2014, 09:58
Don´t think a late forecast fog situation can be compared to long time planned reduction in capacity.

I agree. The former is a one-day disaster, the latter has months to run. The nearly complete lack of forward planning embedded culturally doesn't exactly bode well.

It´s how you handle these situation that makes or breaks the brand

Also agree. If today is any indication, the brand is poised to take a beating. When most of your traffic flows through a hub and said hub closes 50% of its capacity, well it ain't rocket surgery. Mitigation efforts aside.

whossorrynow
22nd Feb 2014, 10:04
If Dubai hadn't saved a buck when they built the runways too close together to allow true dual runway operations maybe there would have been no diversions, more than 4 departures an hour, no 90 minute holding, no holding at the FIR boundary, no 4 hour waits on the apron, no waiting on the ground at outstations, no 10s of thousands of people in the wrong place.

And it'll be the same tomorrow.

Outatowner
22nd Feb 2014, 10:33
Who really cares what it bodes?

Claim some overtime if you go over the threshold. See if they pay you or find some excuse not to. Then go home to your cold beer and forget them for a few days.

Interestingly that time of year also coincides with flu season. What rotten luck!

PS.... Merikans: harden up, princesses, you sound like a bunch of whining pussies! Is it because you lost, scoreless, to the Great White North yesterday? :{

lospilotos
22nd Feb 2014, 11:36
If Dubai hadn't saved a buck when they built the runways too close together to allow true dual runway operations maybe there would have been no diversions, more than 4 departures an hour, no 90 minute holding, no holding at the FIR boundary, no 4 hour waits on the apron, no waiting on the ground at outstations, no 10s of thousands of people in the wrong place.

And it'll be the same tomorrow.

Yeah, I understand the northern runway is the only CATIII capable, but why cannot the southern be used for departures in LVP?

CaptainChipotle
22nd Feb 2014, 11:42
Canada is supposed to beat everyone in hockey. That's no surprise. :D

pilotrob23
22nd Feb 2014, 12:14
PS.... Merikans: harden up, princesses, you sound like a bunch of whining pussies! Is it because you lost, scoreless, to the Great White North yesterday?

Olympics? Hockey? Nobody in America cares, well maybe every four years. We are tied for the lead in the medal count with Russia as of today, how is your country doing? I know things like figure skating, skiing, and curling are taking the U.S. by storm. More highlights of Lebron and watching Jack Nicholson on the floor of the Laker games staring at dancers. Congrats to the Knucks, they take their hockey seriously, and should have won. Back to Emirates..

whossorrynow
22nd Feb 2014, 12:35
...but why cannot the southern be used for departures in LVP?

The same reason they don't clear you for T/O on RWY12R when there is an aircraft between 200-1000' on final approach for 12L. Through either ignorance or more probably to save money the runways were built too close together for unrestricted parallel operations as at proper airports.

It is slightly less of an issue on the RWY30s in good weather as their respective thresholds are further apart. This is why RWYs 30L & 30R are used 90% of the time, they can get more movements per hour because they are less restricted with simultaneous T/Os and LDGs using 30 than 12.

Outatowner
22nd Feb 2014, 12:39
Olympics? Hockey? Nobody in America cares

Fair enough. So why ARE they whining like girls then?

Yank pilots - they might cut the engines but the whining just goes on and on...

fliion
22nd Feb 2014, 13:37
...child..

pilotday
23rd Feb 2014, 04:47
Canada is just the balcony over the big party eh

cerbus
23rd Feb 2014, 15:48
What do US wide body pilots make vs the rest of the world?
End of discussion!
Is it no wonder why so many pilots are leaving EK for the US?

max AB
23rd Feb 2014, 16:14
What do US wide body pilots make vs the rest of the world?

Noise...? And I was rooting for the USA in the (ice) Hockey too....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14

(Country of Origin supplied)

fliion
24th Feb 2014, 00:53
Only one difference between an Ozzie & a Yank...

...we know we're hated...

Doh!

; >

f.

pilotday
24th Feb 2014, 01:16
Canadians bragging about being the best in ice hockey is like bragging you are the smartest kid with Down Syndrome

cerbus
24th Feb 2014, 02:16
The Canadians have to celebrate something. They certainly can't celebrate their airline salaries.
Won't it be ironic that with all the crap that the Americans get at emirates it will be the 'mericans that get EK pilots a pay raise this year. Not what wide body pilots deserve but better than wages we are getting now.
Nuff said.

Saltaire
24th Feb 2014, 02:31
And the most ignorant post of the year so far goes to - - - pilotday!

Congrat's.

hifly787
24th Feb 2014, 07:18
Emirates brand high. Employee morale low and pathetic t&c's . Show us an airline where both are high !

new tomcat
24th Feb 2014, 12:41
Delta. Probably one go the highest paid pilots in the world with fantastic work rules. Ever hear of Green Slip? In addition Delta just paid out over $500 million in profit share to its employees. I can tell you morale is sky high, just like our salaries.
Scabs need not apply though. Delta only hires professionals

pilotday
24th Feb 2014, 13:26
Saltaire, you mad eh? I don't think you know the definition of ignorant.

I think the definition of ignorant is being proud of your 25 member Canadian olympic hockey team when in fact 21 of your players live and work in United States.

harry the cod
24th Feb 2014, 13:26
new tomcat

Pleased for you and the thousands there and I mean that sincerely. Just curious however regarding your scab comment?

As an aside, I know of several ex Delta employees here in EK who may not share your over inflated enthusiasm towards your perfect employer. They are, after all, the same airline that wrote off millions in Chapter 11 and wiped out many pilots personal pensions in the process. I guess that profit share may be seen by some as offering a modicum of recompense for earlier misguided and selfish policies by greedy CEOs.

Harry

BobDole
24th Feb 2014, 14:47
Scabs? Really? Where was that damn picket line... I must have not noticed it when I apparently crossed it... Ohh well... Now back to stealing someone else's job.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Wizofoz
24th Feb 2014, 16:21
Delta. Probably one go the highest paid pilots in the world with fantastic work rules. Ever hear of Green Slip? In addition Delta just paid out over $500 million in profit share to its employees.

Good for you Tom- and I'm sure you wish the best for people not as fortunate as you.

So, how much of that 500m went to the Delta Connect guys, on whose backs much of it was made?

fliion
24th Feb 2014, 23:05
Gents

Ignore Tomcat..he hasn't been around here much since he failed the DEC interview in '07 that his NW/DL buddies passed.

It's always niggled him hence the chip ....

f.

new tomcat
25th Feb 2014, 02:27
Thanks for the nice words Harry.
Actually we as pilots voted to give up our pension and some work rules as well as a little of our hourly wage. I didn't like it at the time but in retrospect in was probably a smart thing to do.
Since the Connect pilots are not employed by Delta or a wholly owned company of Delta they didn't get anything. Plus they have been working for free and stealing our jobs for years flying their Furlough Jet around.
I know 3 ex-Delta pilots at Emirates who have reapplied to Delta in addition to another 245 or so Emirates pilots that have applied to Delta.
Filion thanks for the broad blast but I turned down the job. Best decision I ever made. You got to be happy you are flying a big jet instead of your Furlough Jet. Now if you can just get with a good airline.

Wizofoz
25th Feb 2014, 03:11
Good for you Tom.

Given the position you are in, it absolutely was the right decision- I'd rather be in Delta with many years seniority then here- not so much because of the job so much (though clearly the moneys better) but because of the location.

But that option isn't available to any but a very small percentage of the population- INCLUDING a huge number of US pilots who had no option then to take the terrible conditions offered by the regionals as they were the only jobs going, thanks largely to the cowardice of the pilots at the majors, and indeed for them EK was a huge step up.

Question is, why do you think it appropriate to boast about it, while denigrating those less fortunate than you?

Had you not been born in the US, had your country not had it's anticompetitive, protectionist bankruptcy laws, or had you chosen to go and work for one of the majors that has since gone out of business, you wouldn't be where you are.

You've been lucky.

Lording it over and insulting others because of it is hardly a mature or professional thing to do.

v1r8
25th Feb 2014, 18:20
Exactly sir ^^^ very well put. Plus it was his coworkers (MEC) who created the RJ market 20 years ago anyway. :ugh: instead they love to blame the RJ guys who are stuck for years and years because of him and his. :ugh: love how his persona is coming thru here. Most DAL guys are gents. Ignore this guy blaming the RJ guys for a reality he created.

JuniorMan
25th Feb 2014, 20:07
But that option isn't available to any but a very small percentage of the population- INCLUDING a huge number of US pilots who had no option then to take the terrible conditions offered by the regionals as they were the only jobs going, thanks largely to the cowardice of the pilots at the majors, and indeed for them EK was a huge step up.

Question is, why do you think it appropriate to boast about it, while denigrating those less fortunate than you?

I am at a US legacy, and would much rather be at EK. No bragging here. I can't wait to meet a few of the EK pilots that were just hired here in the last few months. I would really like to know what they were thinking...

fliion
25th Feb 2014, 21:33
Since EK began over 25 years ago...how many pilots have NWDAL laid off cumulatively....thousands.

None here.

When tomcats NW/Delta furloughed hundreds of pilots in the last crisis, it was companies like EK that allowed these guys to pay their mortgage....now here he is lording over the company that will lay-off hundreds at the drop of an email.

Another crisis will come - and furloughs will happen again...at which point your brothers and sisters will be welcome to come to EK and so pay the bills that your beloved Delta will not.

Kittens have short memories.

f.