PDA

View Full Version : Logging RA Time

fiftyeight
20th Feb 2014, 01:45
I have a CPL and MECIR and I need to do some hour building as cheap as possible.

Are RA hours equivalent to GA hours?

Will a Chief Pilot care if 30 odd hours are done in a Jabiru?

Thanks

solowflyer
20th Feb 2014, 02:32
I would say you are better off saving your cash and or get a few hours in a 206 or 210 or I see your in Perth get a tail dragger rating for fire spotting. If you going to buil hrs might as well make the most of it.

TOUCH-AND-GO
20th Feb 2014, 02:44
Are RA hours equivalent to GA hours?

Are you asking if you can log the flight time into your log book.?

Than yes.

Is flying a Jabiru similar to a 206/210? Than your answer is no :}

T&G.

fiftyeight
20th Feb 2014, 02:46
Yeah I am between Darwin and Perth.

I have been out to a few operators in NT and the one CP who actually let me past reception desk pretty much told me nobody will even look at me until I have 200TT preferably 250+TT and at least 100PIC.

I only have 180TT hours and 70PIC so I really need hours. And probably need a couple in a 206/210 as well.

Fire spotting usually recruit much later in the year.

Thanks

Aussie Bob
20th Feb 2014, 03:47
I would argue the opposite. A few hours in a Jabiru actually build some good skills, they are not the worlds easiest aeroplanes to fly. I am a CP and if I saw a few hours in a Jabiru in a CPL pilots logbook I would be happy, even impressed that a CPL would venture this way for some experience.

C210 and 206 hours are great but expensive and in my opinion too many hours of dual, as in more endorsements is just that, dual hours. Hours in command are a better thing.

A CPL doing a bit of RA will also benefit the RA pool, they will learn something from you.

Mach E Avelli
20th Feb 2014, 04:48
Although I have never flown one, a Jabiru may well be quite demanding, but how many GA Chief Pilots would know?

Time in the type that you are most likely to get your first job in is probably more important. Suppose two wannabes come in for interview, equally presentable and equally personable. One has 300 hours total and 30 hours Jabiru. The other has 275 hours total and 15 hours C-206. We have a 206 parked out front ready to go to work earning revenue. Given that the difference between 275 hours and 300 hours is bugger-all in the grand scheme of things, as CP I would probably favour the pilot with 206 time. Simply because it will hopefully mean less training time at induction.

So, can a 206 be rented for near enough to twice the going rate for a Jabiru? Round up some mates, dry hire a 206 and take them on a fishing trip, sharing expenses. Drilling holes in the sky in a Jabiru or anything else is pointless.

Aussie Bob
20th Feb 2014, 05:29
So, can a 206 be rented for near enough to twice the going rate for a Jabiru?Try about 5 times but good suggestion.

Mick Stuped
20th Feb 2014, 06:22
Fiftyeight, sorry all miles are not the same from an employers point of view. We look at type experience as well as TT and CT.

I know it is very hard nowadays for a new guy to get a start and I feel sorry for those out there doing the door knock at the moment. As employers at the moment we are spoilt for choice as the number of charter companies get less and the number of newbies increase.

To get a job now you have to stand out, be the top of the game even for a basic 182 job. Miles, especially outback miles still count with us.
Even if you get a call back now and pass the first interview and get to go for a ride, for you are coming out of a Jab with a lot of RA experience and jump in a 210 or 206 you are going to be so far behind the aircraft that is heavy and sinks like a brick compared to a Jab unless you are a natural, the CP will think its going to take to long to get you to line, and you wont get a ride. Simple as that.

Our biggest key indicator we look for in interviews/resumes is the difference between TT and CT. We find as a general rule what works for us is if a Wanabie has accrued more than double TT to their CT to get to a basic CPL without ME or MECIR, then training has been a slog and further line training with us going to take time.

At the end of the day I know it sounds harsh but making a profit so we can stay in business in these hard times take preference over offering a type training and a bit of commercial experience to allow you to get your next job. Keep in mind we usually have to do it all again in the next season with a new batch of newbies as it has always been my policy to give new pilots a start in this industry. We need to get you to a high standard in a short time and we need to feel we can do this. This is the main selection criteria.

You will notice that all charter operators are increasing their minum requirements, please realise our bottom line is getting screwed by forces out of our control, we just have less resources to spend going back over stuff and getting a mediocre pilot to line.
Contrary to popular belief we cannot keep increasing prices as the market really is kicking back in these hard times. We find it isn't a fact of loosing work to competitors but everyone is loosing hours as people/government are just are not flying in small single engine charter as much. But that's a whole new topic.

When I leant to fly all those years ago my instructor kicked me out the door saying I have taught you to fly now go and learn to fly. You know after 30 years I am still learning. Have passion and a goal and it will amaze you were you will find money to get some 182,206 or 210 time. As a young buck in the 80's I would talk my drunken mates into going to outback rodeos, B & S balls, race meetings, fishing trips with a promise of a good time and lots of gorgeous single country babes. I would get them to share costs. I knocked up some good hours flying all over outback Aussie got some valuable experience and we had a ball and made some valuable contacts. (no one ever found the gorgeous babes though as the good time got to them first) Think outside the box a bit.

deadcut
20th Feb 2014, 07:20
The 200 series time that companies ask for is usually just to filter out some of the wannabes. You will do at least 10 hours ICUS in them anyway once you get the job so its not like it will make or break your flying career.

fiftyeight
26th Feb 2014, 05:34
Thanks for taking the time to reply, greatly appreciated.

Trying to take it all in, I think my best bet might be to hire a Jab up in Darwin to get the bulk of the hours cheaply and then once I am approaching 200TT do 5 - 10 in a 210 or 206.

Unfortunately, having recently moved to Darwin the circle of friends I can take flying is pretty limited. Also finding aircraft for hire in Darwin is proving to be difficult.

Then fingers crossed I get lucky and I am in the right place at the right time sooner rather than later.

Thanks again

poteroo
26th Feb 2014, 06:31
fiftyeight
You'll find it difficult to hire RAAus aircraft up there, whereas you can do it more easily in Perth.
You might be able to hire something heavier in Darwin, eg 182, and organise a bit of shared cross country flying around the Top End. That might be better in your CV than a Jabby around the capiat city hinterland.

good luck,

fiftyeight
13th Mar 2014, 01:13
I have found an RA aircraft and possibly a C182 in Darwin.

I agree that flying hours in something similar to what my first job might be will be a massive advantage.

I have been looking into flying to the US and flying 30ish hours in a 206/210.

How will these hours be looked at by future employers?

Thanks again for all the help

Mach E Avelli
13th Mar 2014, 07:05
Factoring in travel, accommodation, obtaining a validation (unless you already have a FAA license?) and the necessary security paperwork, would hiring in the US be all that much cheaper?
Also, although great experience, the flying there is nothing like bashing around the bush here. If I were a local employer, I would prefer to see some real outback time, as opposed to flying in a fully controlled environment, whether gained here or overseas.