PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Trainee Pilots

tomasjames
19th Feb 2014, 17:06
Hello everyone!

I, like most people that frequent the 'Wannabee' section of these forums, am an aspiring airline pilot. I posted this here as I'd like to canvas the opinions of pilots in training, and I was unsure it would be seen if I put it in the Interview section.

I've been researching the career now since I took my options at GCSE, and am currently studying for an MPhys Astrophysics degree at Cardiff University some 7 years later.

One thing that seemingly hasn't changed in those 7 years is the market - it's still as competitive and as difficult to succeed as ever! My question to any trainee pilots out there is what route have you gone down and why?

It may seem like an odd question, but schemes like the BA Future Pilot Programme represent not only incredible opportunities but also intense competition. I remember reading in the dedicated BA FPP post on these forums that a number of years ago the success rate (i.e. percentage number of successful applicants out of all those who applied) was 3%. Moreover I anticipate this scheme closing by the time I finish my degree in, at the earliest, 2015. Whilst it doesn't hurt to apply if the scheme remains open it would be limiting oneself to only bank on that scheme as statistics dictate you're unlikely to be successful.

Funding yourself is obviously expensive but does it represent a good investment in terms of finding employment at the end of your training? A number of academies advertise their efforts at 'placing' graduates into airlines - does anybody know, either through experience or from being put through a scheme like this, whether this leads to a permanent contract with the airline?

My apologies for the essay and plethora of questions. I hope somebody is able to assist me!

glendalegoon
23rd Feb 2014, 06:16
there are no sure things in flying, especially as a career.

try reading, "the spirit of st louis" by lindbergh and understand the concept of reserves for success and reserves for failure.

you are looking for a ''sure thing". there isn't one.

either go for it with all you have

or

don't.

good luck either way