PDA

View Full Version : Training in America

NovemberWhiskyLima
19th Feb 2014, 12:23
Dear all,

I was looking for a flight school to do a self-funded CPL course in Australia or New Zealand with a hope to fly professionally when i was told that America is a better option with a greater GA community. I have done my due research but found reviews to be sparse or confusing regarding the schools. Therefore I would like to get some advice on the schools and get some recommendations.

My queries are:

1) Which school would you recommend and why?

2) What is the total cost that I would incur? Please advise on the course including additional ratings because -

I understand the hours accumulated on a CPL licence would not be sufficient to be employed by a major airline and I am prepared to take an instructor rating or the likes to accumulate my hours.

4) How would you recommend I go about with the flying hours?

5) Any advice on other costs I would incur such as living expenses?

Some information about me:

I am a 30 year old Singaporean who is currently gainfully employed. I did some flying with an instructor before but that was more than a decade ago so therefore I'm basically starting from zero. I am looking to start my training in 2015 so that I have some time to accumulate some money as well as fulfil my current job obligations. My eventual aim is work in an airline.