PDA

View Full Version : Lilydale Bonanza Crash Lands

Xray Tango
19th Feb 2014, 03:45
Just listening to the radio and it seems another of the Lilydale Bonanza's has come to grief whilst an instructor was on board, EUB ended up in a barrell drain at the end of 18, very red faced instructor i would think.

The Green Goblin
19th Feb 2014, 03:52
The local FOI out for some circuit practice again?

Shame about those darn flap and gear levers is those blasted Beechcraft.

Saratogapp
19th Feb 2014, 04:28
Two levers like in the old Mooneys?

Lancair70
19th Feb 2014, 06:36
Sorry to read of another fine aircraft in a mishap, I hope its not terminal damage.

Dunno about you guys but I was taught to touch the req'd lever, visually confirm it was the right one, say it out loud and then move the lever.
As in, "Undercarriage (or Flaps as applicable), Identified and retract (or extended as applicable)
When I did this on a recent night VFR check, the senior instructor, who I'd not flown with before, commented on how he doesn't see/hear that action very often anymore but thought it should be taught.

MakeItHappenCaptain
19th Feb 2014, 06:41
I'd suggest doing it with the speed as well.

Eg. "Flaps identified, below 85, Flaps 10"

It also reinforces the limiting speeds.:ok:

Lancair70
19th Feb 2014, 06:47
Good idea Captain :ok:

I always check the speed obviously but don't say it out loud in the procedure.

AZNA
19th Feb 2014, 07:06
http://i59.tinypic.com/264qdqg.jpg

This was floating around facebook.

Aussie Bob
19th Feb 2014, 07:50
So you expert Wallies who postulated that the gear had been retracted are most likely wrong. Armchair wannabe experts, all on this thread.

Disgusts me, some of the comments I see following mishaps. and not just on this thread.

Looks like the actuating rod for the left wheel has snapped to me but I don't know anything except this does happen occasionally in the Bo and it is unrelated to the landing.

Jack Ranga
19th Feb 2014, 07:53
You're surprised at the number of wankas on prune? Really............?

Aussie Bob
19th Feb 2014, 07:57
Sorry Jack I forgot. If you ever want to see a tosser, read an accident thread.

Bounceferret
19th Feb 2014, 08:02
Ouch!
How the hell did that happen??

VH-XXX
19th Feb 2014, 08:16
We had some pretty intense rain (TS SHRA) in the afternoon today so it certainly could have contributed to adverse runway conditions.

Jack Ranga
19th Feb 2014, 09:53
Can someone re-size that f@:;$&8 photo :ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Feb 2014, 10:05
Can someone who knows Lilydale s'plane me how anything above would put an aeroplane in that position?

Sorry, but I don't get it!

Dr :8

Bevan666
19th Feb 2014, 10:45
Wet grass runway, wind change at touchdown (sudden tailwind) and went sailing off the end.

It'll buff out.

Wally Mk2
19th Feb 2014, 10:55
Stop speculating you guys, yr gunna ruffle some feathers here & we can't have the fun police that wound up in here!:E
Anyway who cares it's fairly obvious the guys got out with only a bruised ego.

Gee 'JR' I like the panoramic view buddy:ok:

Wmk2

Jack Ranga
19th Feb 2014, 10:58
Photo's great Wal, I can't read the posts mate :ok:

Wally Mk2
19th Feb 2014, 11:02
You mean ya wanna read the rubbish on Prrune? I just come to look at the pictures, (& add a few words so I don't feel totally left out:E)you see we humans are into voyeurism are we not?:ok:
Windsock shows that perhaps during the final Ldg phase the wind swung around giving a strong tail wind, (now shows light winds as the mini front has passed when piccy was snapped)) nice wet grass, maybe floated a little. got the machine in the ground towards the end of the Rwy & a ground loop was attempted with the resultant collapse of the L/H gear & into the drain it goes. Prop looks intact from what can be seen but of course all of the above never really happened as this is PRrune:E

Wmk2

P.S....very good 'lumps', that's a whole other story right there:ok:

Lumps
19th Feb 2014, 11:03
good heavens they forgot to cover the rego up

Jack Ranga
19th Feb 2014, 11:16
The sky was angry today my friends :=

The Green Goblin
19th Feb 2014, 13:07
Looks to me like it stalled.

Lancair70
19th Feb 2014, 18:34
So you expert Wallies who postulated that the gear had been retracted are most likely wrong. Armchair wannabe experts, all on this thread.

Disgusts me, some of the comments I see following mishaps. and not just on this thread.

The Green Goblin mentioned 2 levers possibly being a culprit, I merely made a comment about what I believe is good practice with flap and gear levers. Where are all the other armchair expert theories ? Oh here Looks like the actuating rod for the left wheel has snapped to me but I don't know anything except this does happen occasionally in the Bo and it is unrelated to the landing. How the heck can one say that from that one picture ? An armchair expert ?

VH-XXX
19th Feb 2014, 19:07
Usually the "sudden wind change" is a bit of a farce and a cop out for screwing up but I would truly believe that could have happened yesterday and caught someone out.

Fantome
19th Feb 2014, 19:17
"Don't know what to call him . .. but I think he's one of those . .. "

yep . . . too much pull your head in . . .. . . . too much you know SFA . . .etc etc . . does excite the mod man's irrits sooner or later

as old hands know , Barons, Bonanzas etc that featured in numerous oops!!! . . . due the particular placement of the small switches that actuate gear and flap, being selected by mistake. (they are not really 'levers' in the accepted sense of a lever.) For those who may not be familiar . .. .Mr Beech made the plastic mouldings so that flap is a little flap and gear is like a little wheel.

The thing to do is look at the different shape of those switches . . . . know by rehearsal that if you need to whip the gear up smartly your hand will go to the correct one without a moment's hesitation

Pulling the gear up on an early Mooney .. . now that's a lever ..

nitpicker330
19th Feb 2014, 22:22
That's happened in the exact same spot more than once at a Lilydale over the last 20 years!! ( probably still some bits from the last excursion still covered in the dirt!! )

Land long on 18L with a tailwind or a bit fast .......and can't stop.........ground loop before leaping over the embankment.

Last time I saw one was a PA28 about 30 years ago. ( wow I just started to feel old :{ ) I watched the silly bugga do it to, with my mouth hanging open and a "what the......"

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Feb 2014, 22:28
Anyone know the length of the strip? :confused: Just curious!

nitpicker330
19th Feb 2014, 22:30
18L is 850 m x 30m grass according to the airfield info sheet I have but it's a couple of years old and they do change the length a bit depending on the surface conditions.

But it ain't that long landing an A36 if it's wet, especially with any tailwind....I know as I've landed A36's there day and night on that runway quite a few times in my younger silly days!!

If it's one of his own Roger will not be happy :sad:

Aussie Bob
19th Feb 2014, 22:32
How the heck can one say that from that one picture ? An armchair expert ?

Re-read my comment Lancair, you will see that I include "I don't know anything" which is more than some of you blokes will ever admit.

nitpicker330
19th Feb 2014, 22:40
Just looking a the photo again and the white runway closed markers are in view, knowing LFS they couldn't put them out so fast so they must have been there already. I do recall seeing them there a month or two ago when I drove past.

Mmmmmm if he's landed on 18L and slid up the embankment trying to stop when the runway was already marked closed???????? Either that or he landed 18R and went left 30 deg towards his final resting postion?????

I'll have to dig around and see....

VH-XXX
19th Feb 2014, 23:17
knowing LFS they couldn't put them out so fast so they must have been there
already.

There are at least 5 instructors forming a peanut gallery in the background of the photo, so perhaps they did put the cross on there.

TBM-Legend
19th Feb 2014, 23:48
Hardly bent! Why is this news????

ozequestrian
20th Feb 2014, 03:47
Was just sold, new owner doing a check ride, sudden wind change, landed long and fast due to the tail wind, locked the brakes. Instructor was in the right hand seat.

smiling monkey
20th Feb 2014, 04:05
Was just sold, new owner doing a check ride

so, did he pass the check ride?

Creampuff
20th Feb 2014, 04:08
Walked away.

'nuf said. :ok:

nitpicker330
20th Feb 2014, 04:33
Landed long and fast.......instructor in right seat........

Did the instructor consider going around?????

Sounds like the blind leading the blind......:ugh:

Mach E Avelli
20th Feb 2014, 04:35
Hope that the seller got the cheque cashed in time.....
But it begs the question, what was the instructor doing during all this? Hanging on to the back of it somewhere, it seems.

VH-XXX
20th Feb 2014, 05:04
The old sudden wind change :cool: Seems to happen most often on check rides, first solos, downwind landings, new aircraft and newly purchased aircraft.

Sunfish
20th Feb 2014, 06:10
I was on the Bay yacht racing at the time. Wind went from southeast to southwest rather smartly, but we could see what was coming in plenty of time..

Why the heck do a check ride in known unstable conditions?

Capt Fathom
20th Feb 2014, 09:29
Yep!

That nasty wind change on the bay from the southeast to the southwest would cause chaos at Lilydale!

Terribly unstable conditions for sure! Should have stayed in bed! :ugh:

maverick22
20th Feb 2014, 10:21
Gets pretty slippery there in the wet. Obviously hadn't been taught Roger's "anti-skid" braking technique ;)

Bevan666
20th Jun 2014, 05:52
Well it did buff out - EUB just taxied past my office window.

Capt Fathom
20th Jun 2014, 06:07
No! Not another off-field event! :E

Pearly White
20th Jun 2014, 06:40
Coming in over the road you can get unexpected wind shear off passing utes and vineyard tractors on McIntyre Rd. High sided vehicles can contribute known rotor effect.

Pastor of Muppets
20th Jun 2014, 06:52
Ah ha!

The ole' known rotor off the flat sided vehicle effect.

Nothing like a bit of Friday afternoon beer assisted aeroclub technical discussion:ok:

Wally Mk2
20th Jun 2014, 08:32
hmmmmm vineyard tractors hey? Christ now I've heard it all!:E

Hate to think the repair bill these days for an acciden tlike this one.

Wmk2

VH-XXX
20th Jun 2014, 09:43
Not as bad as Tyabb. The windshear from the Toorak tractors on their way to their Peninsula holiday houses is something you need to experience to believe !

BlatantLiar
20th Jun 2014, 11:13
The other day I experienced wind sheer caused by wind sheer. I nearly wet myself. Stay safe chaps!

Perspective
21st Jun 2014, 11:54
That's when landing on 35 xxx, every time, no road
From that end, there was only the hayshed to deal with!!
That's going back a bit!