PDA

View Full Version : Any Pitts S2 shares about? (midlands)

Ampage
18th Feb 2014, 13:24
Just recently started doing aeros in the C152 Aerobat and I am enjoying it immensely. I would however like to try it in the Pitts.

I've always wanted to fly this type & I usually fly from Cranfield. There is a beautiful S2 (G-FDPS) there, in the hangar, but the hourly rate is well above the £200 mark. I will probably buy a few hours of instruction in this thing, but long term, I can't sustain that rate really.

Just trying to get an idea of whats about. & general costs. Does anyone know of any pitts syndicates in the midlands area? (Cranfield, Turweston, Sywell etc) I am MK based so I don't really want to travel any further than that.

Look forward to your responses.

18greens
18th Feb 2014, 19:37
Hi,

Firstly the Pitts is a great choice.

Secondly £200 / hr for an s2c is a bit of a bargain. A typiclal s1 syndicate (Lfa so cheaper) is £100/ m and £100/ hour. Given that 20 minutes is a long time in a Pitts break even is 1 hour a month. You might be planning 5 hours a month but I reckon you'll be nearer 40 minutes.

Basically it's not that much cheaper.

Now have you looked at a vans rv-8. Basically a pitts but also a fast comfortable tourer and better value.

maxred
18th Feb 2014, 20:32
Or this bad boy.....:O

2004 PITTS MODEL 12 Experimental/Homebuilt Aircraft For Sale At Controller.com (http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/PITTS-MODEL-12/2004-PITTS-MODEL-12/1295595.htm)

Ampage
19th Feb 2014, 15:48
18greens, thanks for the advice, I think I should probably get down to these airfields and just ask around there tbh. The vans looks nice, if only I had the space to build one :D - I wouldn't mind owning a share in one though.

And maxred, that model 12 is possibly one of the most beautiful aircraft I've seen recently :) no price on the ad? - That means I can't afford it haha.

maxred
19th Feb 2014, 16:23
I agree, it is truly stunning. I saw the original, serial No.1 at Oshkosh a number of years ago, painted Blue and Yellow, it was a true beast.

I am used to an S2, and the differnece in the cowling size, when standing beside it, is an awesome sight. The figure of 250k is floating around my head, I must check, because that price was the figure banded about on another forum.

Dream on.......:)

Barcli
19th Feb 2014, 18:49
He will take 235000 usd.........

maxred
19th Feb 2014, 19:32
Ah, thanks Barcli, I thought it was in that region. It is a superbly beautiful machine.

18greens
19th Feb 2014, 21:00
Ampage you wish you had the space to build one.....???

Actually I doubt you do. There are people who like building and there are people who like flying. There aren't too many people who like doing both (or have the time to do both). I imagine building an aircraft is deeply satisfying, and most people who do one then sell it and go onto build a better one. It's a more virtuous use of time than drinking, smoking, eating, PS3 , flying and all those other drains on our lives.

The good news for the ones that like flying (and drinking etc...)is that there are lots of finished projects looking for pilots. And generally they are low hour cherished , highly polished creations.

Keep a lookout, they are startling aircraft.

Re the Pitts there are several shares on aerobatics.org.uk which might suit.

Good luck.

Ampage
20th Feb 2014, 15:34
Should have read: "Wish I had the space, time, patience, attention to detail and skill..............to build one"

;)

Thanks for the tips everyone

Barcli
20th Feb 2014, 19:05
For half the money of the other one ....BARNSTORMERS.COM (http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=783326)