PDA

View Full Version : What future for commercial flying training ...

FlyingOfficerKite
18th Feb 2014, 10:34
What future for commercial flying training outside of the major Flight Training Organisations?

With many (most) of the major airlines employing cadets and utilising the services of the large flying training colleges, what is the likely demand in the future for flying schools providing ad hoc/self-improver training as and when the market picks up?

Apart from a perceived lack of suitably qualified commercial instructors and examiners, will there be demand for their services going forward - and will it be possible for such organisations to meet the demand were it to materialise?

I came up through the self-improver route, but I would not have been able to gain employment with the airlines I flew with were I to attempt to follow the same route today.

Times have changed, but has this change occurred faster than the industry has had the time to adapt?

Big Pistons Forever
18th Feb 2014, 15:53
I think the world wide trend is clear. Flight training will fragment into tow groups. Huge airline prep operations, and small recreational flying clubs.

Going to one of the airline pilot puppy mills will be the only way to start a commercial flying career. Recreational pilots will be taught by PPL instructors in a private flying only operation.

Even in Canada which still has a large commercial GA segment, this trend is starting to take hold with many airlines wanting candidates from a flying college
program and one major regional carrier now starting a cadet program with all training conducted at one approved school.