PDA

View Full Version : Converting FAA ATP

SFO to BRU
5th Feb 2002, 05:13
Does anyone have any advice on the cheapest, quickest course to convert an FAA ATP to a JAA or CAA ATPL? And which country to do it in?

stator vane
5th Feb 2002, 16:24
i am making the attempt at the present.

i have 13000 hours and 4500+ left seat B737.. .hand carried my logbooks to Gatwick CAA paid 77 pounds and a couple weeks later, they mailed the logbooks back to me and gave me an assessment or however that is spelled.

i only must take the air law test, the human remains test at gatwick. and the radio telephone test.

when and if i pass those, then a matter of getting a sim ride with a company checkairman that is a checker and then have a UK CAA person watch and i am told i will have a UK ATP that is good just on G plate aircraft.

i was told, that i only had to take all the other written test, total 14, but no requirement to go to any school, and then i could get the full monty JAA UK license.

may be pie in the sky, but i will take this first step and see what happens and let you know.

by the way i fly Virgin Express in brussels.

jmore
8th Mar 2002, 14:52
makes me chuckle that the caa want you to take an r/t test with your experience -how anal!

Sheep Guts
9th Mar 2002, 12:16
I will attempt an assesment as well soon. But I will give my details anyway to see if I am waisting 77pounds.. . Australian ATPL. . United States ATP. . New Zealand ATPL. . Total time 3450 hrs. . TotalMulti Comm 1800. . Total Turbine ( under 5.7t) 1050. . I am a British Citizen. Am I waisting my time due to the fact I have nothing over 5.7T?. .. .Regards. .Sheep

fms146
11th Mar 2002, 05:03
Sheep Guts..You ARE wastng your time and money if you are going to hand over £77.00 for the UK CAA to tell you what is readily available from a number of sites on the webb. . .. .REDSNAIL put it all down some time ago on this forum and nothing has changed. There is NO SUCH THING as a CONVERSION from any ICAO ATPL to a JAR ATPL. FULL STOP.....You 14 exams to look forward to..Sorry but there you have it...

redsnail
12th Mar 2002, 01:18
Sheep guts,. .To make it reasonable you need to have 500 hours multi crew. Now, they (the CAA) prefer +5700kg. However, if you can prove that your time is multi crew and that it is required by law then you can get those hours "allowed". By this I mean you won't have to do the full IR (minus 5 hours) or a MCC. Difference in cost? $A50,000 v's $A35,000 or so.. .I did a huge post about all of this in Dununda around Nov 2001.

flufdriver
12th Mar 2002, 01:33
As this topic comes up about once a month, I'm going to try and paste the relevant document from the UK CAA here,. .. .here goes:. .. .SAFETY REGULATION GROUP PERSONNEL LICENSING DEPARTMENT LICENSING OPERATIONS . .. . . .LICENSING OPERATIONS LICENCE ASSESSMENT PROCEDURE . .. .ASSESSMENT FOR SPECIAL TERMS TOWARDS THE . .GRANT OF A JAR ATPL(A) RESTRICTED TO UK AIRCRAFT ONLY . .. .Special terms for Pilots meeting the experience criteria below * have been agreed as an interim measure for the grant of the above licence until the Joint Aviation Authority have agreed appropriate new conversion terms. . .. .*A minimum of 3,000 hours as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000 kgs MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, a minimum of 1,500 hours of which must have been as Pilot-in-Command. . .. .The restriction to fly UK registered a1rcraft only, may be removed when the final terms have been agreed, subject to any additional requirements being completed. . .. .To apply for a written assessment you will require a 'JAR-FCL 680 pack'. The form enclosed in this pack should be fully completed and returned to this office together with a fee of £77.00, your actual logbooks and your non-UK licence with the validating medical certificate. This form may be downloaded from the web in the near future. . .. .We endeavour to complete written assessment terms within the published turnaround time of 10 working days providing all supporting documentation has been submitted. At this point you m~y submit application for the required written examinations. . .. .To arrange the appropriate flight tests, you must contact our Flight Operations Department on 01293-573498. . .. .Other Experienced Pilots . .. .Pilot$ not meeting the above experience criteria should refer to POUCY UPDATE -1 July 2001 and .!1Qt submit application for assessment. . .. .Well, I lost the CAA Logo but the text is correct, draw your own conclusions.. .I hope this helps!