PDA

View Full Version : C-206 Forced Landing Near Newman WA

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Feb 2014, 00:53
Heard on radio 6PR this morning, and some details here.....

"Engine problems forced a light aircraft to make an emergency landing two kilometres out of Newman about 5.30am Monday.

Senior Sergeant Larry Miller from Newman Police said the pilot, the only person on board, was enroute to a remote community town. He was not injured during the landing.

Sergeant Miller said pilot made an emergency landing after identifying an engine fault on the instrument panel of the Cesna 206.

He said the aircraft was unable to make it back to the runway and was forced to land in bushland.
The the landing caused extensive damage to the plane's wings and landing gear, he said."

:ok:

Jabawocky
17th Feb 2014, 02:10
I wonder if it was a new Turbo 206.

If so I would love to speak to the pilot and owner.

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Feb 2014, 02:28
Yes, an engine fault on the instrument panel is unusual! :E

VH-XXX
17th Feb 2014, 02:40
We are in Australia you know Jabba ! It's probably a 69 model on a fourth life engine.

Ixixly
17th Feb 2014, 03:25
Boy howdy XXX!!! a 69 model with a 4th life engine?! Wish I could fly something that new!! :}

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Feb 2014, 03:37
Now that I think about it....

0530 AM.....2 kms out of YNWN.....Instrument panel.....
EFATO I wonder...??

Rotor Work
17th Feb 2014, 07:45
VH-YOT
1979 Cessna U 206 G :ok:

Light plane crashes at Newman but pilot walks away unscathed - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-17/light-plane-crashes-at-newman/5264500?section=wa)

(Includes a photo)

A pilot has escaped injury after crashing his plane near the Pilbara town of Newman this morning.
The single-engine Cessna 206 left Newman Airport just before 6:00 am and made a forced landing shortly afterwards in scrub land 2.5 kilometres north-east of the airport.
Police say the aircraft sustained damage to the wings and cockpit.
The 37-year old pilot blamed the crash on an engine failure.
He was taken to Newman Hospital for a check up.
Sergeant Mark Garner says the pilot is a Newman local and has been flying planes since 2008.
He says the situation could have been worse.
"I think it was his skill and the fact that he's obviously managed to keep it straight as he's come in," he said.
"From the photos I've seen, he landed close to a medium-sized tree which I'm sure would have done some damage.
"We've notified the Air Transport Safety Bureau."
Sergeant Garner says the news of the crash hit home for Newman police who lost four colleagues in a plane crash in 2001.
It was the largest loss of life for police officers in one incident.
"So, yeah anything like that at the airport touches close to home, especially to some people that were working here at the time," he said.

Ixixly
17th Feb 2014, 08:29
Engine failure ey... looks like it went down pretty bloody hard whatever happened... perhaps he didn't notice the left wing missing on his pre-flight? :E

Wally Mk2
17th Feb 2014, 08:52
hey 'Jabba' why would ya wanna speak to the pilot/owner when I can tell ya that SE planes are bloody dangerous mate:E
That plane looked wrecked & there ain't a tree within a bulls roar of it...........those roos must be huge up that way!:-)
Good to hear the driver is ok:ok:

Wmk2

Capn Bloggs
17th Feb 2014, 09:01
Bl@@dy good job, I say. EF so close to the 'drome and didn't spear by trying to get back.

One less bugsmasher I'll have to worry about in the Pilbara! :ouch:

Now that I think about it....

0530 AM.....2 kms out of YNWN.....Instrument panel.....
EFATO I wonder...??
Bit slow there Griffo, but you got there in the end!

It's probably a 69 model on a fourth life engine.
Maybe so, but it's been retrofitted with those new 787 wintips...

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Feb 2014, 11:46
Yeah Bloggsie..... The story of me life....

Er.. "Traffic Was".....

Cheers:p