PDA

View Full Version : EASA Class 1 Medical Validity (After Expiration)

Airforcejunior
16th Feb 2014, 11:54
Hi guys and gals,

Just a quick question on my situation, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My class 1 medical expired in Dec 13, I was thinking about renewing it this month but will not be flying until May 14, would it be acceptable to renew the medical in May without any problems? It will be my 5th renewal so will also need the ECG and Audiogram.

Thanks again,
AFJ :ok:

Ulster
16th Feb 2014, 15:23
My class 1 medical expired in Dec 2013. I was thinking about renewing it this month, but will not be flying until May 2014 ; would it be acceptable to renew the medical in May without any problems?

The very simple answer to that question is : "YES"

Postponing the renewal of a Class 1 is no problem at all, so long as you are not exercising class 1 privileges. At your age your existing certificate remains valid for class 2 privileges. You seem to be considering a delay of just a few weeks ; the worst problem can come when a class 1 is allowed to lapse for much longer periods (eg more than 5 years since issue). There is then a real risk of finding yourself having to go back to Gatwick for another Initial Class 1.

If you need the "full monty" this time ( routine plus ECG plus audio), it would be wise to start saving now ! :D

Airforcejunior
16th Feb 2014, 15:50
Thank you for taking the time to reply Ulster, appreciate it.

I was concerned about what the CAA have to say about it though.

Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 3.105
Validity [period/transfer] of medical [records for Class 1 and Class 2 renewal]
(See JAR–FCL 3.105)
1 Class 1
(a) If a licence holder allows his Medical Certificate to expire by more than five years, renewal
shall require an initial or extended, at AMS discretion, aeromedical examination, performed at an AMC
which has obtained his relevant medical records. [ ]
(b) If a licence holder allows his Medical Certificate to expire by more than two years but less than
five years, renewal shall require the prescribed standard or extended examination to be performed at an
AMC which has obtained his relevant medical records, or by an AME at the discretion of the AMS,
subject to the records of medical examinations for flight crew licences being made available to the
medical examiners.
(c) If a licence holder allows his certificate to expire by more than 90 days but less than two years,
renewal shall require the prescribed standard or extended examination to be performed at an AMC, or by
an AME at the discretion of the AMS.
(d) If a licence holder allows his certificate to expire by less than 90 days, renewal shall be
possible by standard or extended examination as prescribed

Could you tell me if this "extended examination" is routine after the certificate has expired by more than 90 days? And if so, what does it entail compared to the standard examination?

Thanks again.
AFJ

Ulster
16th Feb 2014, 17:09
Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 3.105
Validity [period/transfer] of medical [records for Class 1 and Class 2 renewal]
(See JAR–FCL 3.105)

You've actually managed to look up the old JAR rules, which were replaced on 17 Sept 2012 by the EASA rules ! Much simpler now ! :ok: