PDA

View Full Version : EASA FCL license to FAA ATP

Scorpygixxer
13th Feb 2014, 18:30
OK guys, colour me lazy but a quick search did not throw up the answers I am looking for. A number of questions have I, many answers have you.

Here is the current situation I find myself in. I'm instructing with an EASA FCL ATPL license and TRI rating and my employer is keen for me to be able to act as a TRE for the FAA market. As such, I have applied for and received FAA verification of my EASA license and now have until July to take out an FAA license.

I am aware that I can sit the ATP exam in either Paris or Farnborough and that I will have to do a complete FAA TR and check.

First question is - do I have to have taken out an FAA license (PPL? CPL?) prior to sitting the ATP theory or doing the flight tests after the TR? Or can I just complete the activity with a TCOE and then go straight to the application for FAA ATP?

Second - What recommendations would people make for a CBT package for the ATP theory? I'm inclined to go Sheppard but others may have better advice.

Cheers gents.

Klimax
14th Feb 2014, 03:59
Scorep.,

I did my EASA ATPL(A) to FAA ATP MEL just recently.

I understand you've done your verification. Good.

For the FAA ATP knowledge test (aka "written test") you will have to pass this prior to your FAA ATP check ride (flight/sim skill's test), normally people doing conversions combine this with their TR skill's test. The examiner will need to see the confirmation of passing the knowledge test letter on the day of your FAA ATP flying test. This should be the original.

The FAA ATP flight test is basically just part of the Type Rating check-ride - although I believe it's the full check-ride as opposed to what the American's do for their recurrent's (which is a more like progressional training/checking). Mandatory part of the FAA ATP check ride will be what The Americans call the "oral" - which we don't do under EASA where is's written. The "oral" is usually type specific, if combined with an Type Rating check ride, and will be focused on limitations and system knowledge of the aircraft type in question.

The FAA ATP check ride is quite relaxed and straight forward, with the Americans focus being on general handling skills.

After the check ride you should be issued with a Tempo FAA ATP MEL and whatever Type you did your ride on.

Don't forget that you will need to have your FAA medical passed before the check ride. I think the check airman (EASA for TRE) will require to see this. I recommend filling out the FAA medical form via their online system - to which you should be able to gain access already now.

You should also try and gain access to the brilliant FAA IACRA online licence system. I had the help of an FSI instructor to do this, while I was present, so don't know how easy this is without. Don't forget the FAA is know to be a bit anal about correct addresses, names etc. - simple errors of medical address not corresponding with IACRA details etc. can seriously cock up the licence process.

With regards to the CBT for the knowledge test. I used dauntless - which I found to be ****. I did my test in the US at an ATP (actual name) school facility, which included the "training", and did the exam straight after. Very easy.

Finally - good luck with it.

MarkerInbound
14th Feb 2014, 16:45
As the holder of a foreign ATP, FAR 61.153(d) allows you to bypass holding a FAA commercial certificate. As Klimax says, you just have to pass the knowledge test before the flight test.

Also, 61.23 (b) says you do not need to hold a medical to complete the checkride if it is done in a sim, you only need the medical to fly the airplane. Some training centers may require you to hold a medical so check with them.

I'd say Sheppard. You're not going to learn the material but it fills the square of passing the test.

vodka_gorbachev
28th Jul 2014, 09:46
In order not to open another thread with more or less same question, I will ask here.

I'm holding EASA ATPL and decided to get FAA ATP during next half year. As I'm having my next scheduled LPC in December at FSI, I was thinking to complete it there.

After some research, I found out that from the 1st of August FAA implements new "ATP Certification Training Program" which is required for applicants of an ATP certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an ATP certificate issued concurrently with an airplane type rating.
It's written After July 31, 2014, all persons applying for the ATP knowledge test will be required to present a graduation certificate certifying the completion of an ATP CTP.

My question is – as a holder of current ICAO ATP, do I need to get "ATP certification training program" or it can be by-passed straight to the written exam?

muntisk
4th Aug 2014, 14:55
As per my understanding now you have to do atp training program ground-school and sim training before you can go and do your atp theory exam.

I have easa atp with type and faa atp written done month ago, can i unfreeze my faa atp during my easa recurrent? CEA asking additional training.....

Thanks

MarkerInbound
4th Aug 2014, 16:55
muntisk,

There is nothing "frozen" in FAA land. You've passed your written (which is a good thing) but you don't hold any FAA certificate to "un-freeze."

With that out of the way, if you are going to do the FAA ATP with a type rating there is a requirement to have a record of training and an instructor's sign off that you are ready for the checkride. For this CAE would have to put you through one of their part 142 classes. They all have a set number of classroom hours and sim hours. All of them will be overkill for someone current on the airplane. But the training center doesn't want to put their recommendation on your paperwork until they know you are more than ready. If too many people fail the FAA will want to know why and require changes to the training program and it goes down hill from there.

I have no idea what is required for an easa recurrent. You would think if the easa recurrent and the FAA type training have the same number of classroom and sim hours they could run concurrently. I'm guessing they don't and that's why CAE says you need more training.

alj87
10th Oct 2014, 08:21
Hello fellow rotorheads, please help me out here
I want to convert my EASA CPL(H) to FAA ATPL (H)
For the theoretical part do I have to sit PPL, CPL before going for ATPL or can I go directly to ATPL?
Thank you

MarkerInbound
10th Oct 2014, 16:01
61.153 lists the eligibility requirements for an ATP. You either have to hold a FAA commercial certificate with an IR or a foreign commercial or ATP license with an IR.