PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Black Buck Vulcan Crew members and other Falklands pilots

AndySmith
13th Feb 2014, 11:14
Hello

I am currently helping a small group of Argentine veterans organise a brief visit to the UK in the middle of May. Amongst them are members anti aircraft and radar units based at Port Stanley during the conflict, as well as a couple of Argentine Air Force pilots. We have already managed to assemble a small group of veterans to meet them, including some SHAR pilots, and would like to add some more. The date and venue are yet to be confirmed - but will probably be the 19th May.

They have expressed a wish to meet any aircrew that were involved in the Black Buck missions. I am trying to organise a venue for this at the moment, but if any of you reading this were part of those missions, and would like to meet some of those who were on the receiving end - then please get in contact with me by PM or by email to [email protected]

Thanks

Andy

peppermint_jam
13th Feb 2014, 11:50
Martin Withers is involved with XH558, perhaps you can get in touch with him through their team?

Pontius Navigator
13th Feb 2014, 12:41
Andy, I will pass your message to another BB P

Tankertrashnav
13th Feb 2014, 17:37
I dont know if this of any help, but the V Force Reunion is being held at Newark Aircraft Musem on 17th May. I know for a fact that a number of Black Buck tanker guys are going to be there, and I am sure there could well be some Vulcan crew members, as well as ground crew who were on Ascension. I'm sure your chaps would be made welcome.

Here's the link to the website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/)

NutLoose
13th Feb 2014, 17:51
Another Idea Andy

Hangar Tours | Vulcan To The Sky (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances/aircraft-tours.html)

VIProds
14th Feb 2014, 17:28
Re: Tankertrashnav's suggestion, I can thoroughly recommend it and they get to go in the tin triangle's cockpit!! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Haraka
14th Feb 2014, 18:31
I note , with a smile,no reference to the Victor Long-range recce flights "Down South", that preceded this amazing achievement.

ACW418
14th Feb 2014, 19:56
Haraka,

Although having been a Vulcan pilot (nothing to do with the Falklands though) I know nothing of the long range Victor flights. Could you enlighten us (well me at least). I thought there were LR Nimrod trips so I am sure your info will be enlightening.

ACW

taxydual
14th Feb 2014, 21:03
To butt in.

According to the book by Chris Parry (Down South, an excellect read by the way) who was there and witnessed it. A Victor overflew South Georgia doing a 'photo job' shortly followed by a Nimrod dropping the revised ROE by mini parachute to the South Georgia Task Force.

BZ to the Victor and the Nimrod crews.

Haraka
15th Feb 2014, 06:33
ACW 418 see yer PM's.

Darvan
15th Feb 2014, 11:02
Andy, I can put you in touch with the Nav Rad of Black Bucks 4, 5 and 6 that conducted the SEAD/DEAD missions against GADA 601 radar sites resulting in the destruction of a Sky Guard fire control unit and crew. For fellow Pruners and military historians, the true and complete story of these missions, including the emergency diversion of BB6 into Rio de Janeiro will be told in a chapter of a book to be published by Tony Blackman entitled 'Vulcan Boys' on 30 May 14. These missions were not mentioned in Roland White's original edition of 'Vulcan 607' and a revised edition of the book to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the war, whilst touching on the anti-radar missions in an additional, revised chapter, did not capture the true reality of the missions in any way or form. The chapter, which forms a large part of the book is entitled 'From Huddersfield to Rio' (all will be revealed in May after some 30 odd years of relative dis-interest and silence about these historic events). I will PM or email you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vulcan-Boys-Falklands-Iconic-Bomber/dp/1909808083

goudie
15th Feb 2014, 16:44
'Vulcan Boys'

It's in the title of many books but when did the misnomer, 'boys', to describe RAF aircrew come into fashion?
Why not lads or mates? Or perhaps men!

AndySmith
15th Feb 2014, 17:38
Thanks for all the replies, chaps. I have had quite a few emails that I am following up, including DC, radar navigator of BB 4,5 & 6.

One of the chaps coming over was one of the officers in GADA 601, in command of the cardion Radar, and the other the Roland officer. It would be an interesting get together.

Thanks

Andy

the_boy_syrup
15th Feb 2014, 20:59
Perhaps the phrase boys covers the fact that in many people's eyes they were boy.
19 & 20 year old pilots and 18 year old air gunners etc in WW2

fergineer
16th Feb 2014, 01:00
Taxydual...... wonder who the Nimrod crew were!!!!!

AndySmith
18th Feb 2014, 06:44
Just an update, I have been in contact with VTS, and hope to have something planned around that in Doncaster and a trip to Waddington to take photos with 607. When there are some concrete details, I will post them here.

In addition to the GADA 601 personnel, there may well be someone from the GOE unit on the airfield that had a very close escape from one of the BB1 bombs, as well as a later close shave with the Sea Slug that Glamorgan fired at the airfield.

Andy