PDA

View Full Version : Logging of Instrument Time

J.L.Seagull
13th Feb 2014, 08:25
Just curious about how you guys in the UAE record instrument time.

GCAA CAR Part 2, Para 1.11.3 (d) says...

"A pilot may log as instrument flight time only that time during which he/she operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments, under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions."

While this is similar to what most other authorities say, it does seem a bit weird and impractical to me. What gets me is the "under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions" part.

I mean if you were to really record actual instrument time honestly, would you have to sit there with a stop watch, and count only the minutes and seconds you spend in actual IMC, and that too only while PF?

Seems a bit stupid!

Hmmm... having looked at that statement again, something else seems odd. It says "instrument flight conditions" and not "instrument meteorological conditions". Just bad English, or is there something to it?

Since all airlines file IFR flight plans, I assumed that an airline pilot in the UAE could simply log all of his/her flight time as instrument time.

For all practical purposes, any ideas on what is accepted here?

Thanks!

High Energy
13th Feb 2014, 08:49
I was told during flight training many years ago to log instrument time as the time you write in your logbook -15 minutes. Just my 0.02c...

Antman
13th Feb 2014, 10:02
Hmmm... having looked at that statement again, something else seems odd. It says "instrument flight conditions" and not "instrument meteorological conditions". Just bad English, or is there something to it?
Ever been out over the ocean on a clear moonless night, or VMC above a thick cloud layer on a moonless night. You may not be IMC, but are most definitely in "instrument flight conditions"

MAN FLEX 99
13th Feb 2014, 13:02
Stopped recording instrument time 15+ years ago. Nobody flies a transport category aircraft under VFR rules. Your flying IFR flight plan and rules. Almost all authorities and employers take that as a given at that level.