PDA

View Full Version : Funeral Help Wanted - Death of an RAF Veteran with no Family or Friends

Rakshasa
13th Feb 2014, 05:45
As this is perhaps the more appropriate place, I'm cross-posting from ARRSE this inquiry/request from Solihull Council.

Rak :ok:

Hi everyone,

I work in Environmental Health for Solihull Council and I'm after some help please. A 76 year old man has recently died in Solihull and despite making enquiries we've not been able to find any relatives or friends. No arrangements have yet been made for his funeral.

From searching his home we believe he served a full career in the RAF in an engineering role, and appeared to be very proud of his service. We know little more than that.

Under the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984 the Council is now responsible for organising his funeral, what is sometimes known as a paupers funeral.

We've contacted a number of organisations for help, including SPVA and RAFA. They've been less than helpful. It would be very sad if he is allowed to pass with a funeral that nobody attends and without any recognition of his service.

I'm aware that some associations will provide support such as standards, pallbearers, and even attendance by a serving unit, but so far we've had no luck.

Are any of you able to offer any advice or contacts?

Many thanks,

James

Link back to James' thread on ARRSE:Click here (http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-air-force/210248-funeral-help-wanted-death-raf-veteran-no-family-friends.html)

tarantonight
13th Feb 2014, 06:13
James,

The local branch of the Royal British Legion would assist I'm sure. Give them a call.

Good effort regardless - also, what was his name? Personal details on this forum may well be good thing:D

TN.

peppermint_jam
13th Feb 2014, 07:23
James,

Congratulations on trying to arrange this. It pains me to say it but Facebook is a great way to spread the word about this sort of thing.

You may want to consider posting a phone number or email address you can be contacted on too.

tarantonight
13th Feb 2014, 22:01
Only two replies..............Really???????????????????

Shack37
13th Feb 2014, 22:13
Only two replies..............Really???????????????????

I expect a lot of people have read the ARRSE thread and may be waiting for more info. At the moment there's not a lot to say except to thank James for his humanity and Rakshasa for bringing it to our attention.

NutLoose
13th Feb 2014, 22:19
Give it time young Padawan, posted on other forums now and hopefully spreading, hopefully he will receive a send off he deserves, hats off to the Council for trying to make a difference to the guys funeral, they are going the extra mile and it shows how the attitude to servicemen past and present is gradually changing in this country of ours. :D

Daf Hucker
14th Feb 2014, 00:37
Things appear to be in hand,

Funeral Help Wanted - Death of an RAF Veteran with no Family or Friends (http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-air-force/210248-funeral-help-wanted-death-raf-veteran-no-family-friends.html)

Rakshasa
14th Feb 2014, 04:37
For those with an allergy to pongo websites, a small update:

Rak

Hi everyone.

Again, thank you all for your help. It's fantastic that some of you have offered to attend his funeral.

We have the contact details for an RAF Chaplain that has very kindly offered to conduct the funeral. We've also got contacts looking at others ways of marking his RAF service, including Solihull SSAFA.

We plan on adding his details to this thread on Tuesday, and then the funeral details once it's arranged.

Thanks again!

James

Lordflasheart
14th Feb 2014, 09:31
Are there any legal or data protection constraints on releasing his name, rank and number etc ? Assuming that minimum detail is known to the Council.

The wealth of Pprune expertise, well versed in the art of uncovering all sorts of detail from the smallest clue, would doubtless give "Anonymous RAF Veteran" some useful personality. At age 76 that should include surviving old mates.

Nothing in the Solihull Observer or other eminent publications yet, as far as I can see. I will ask again in the other place. LFH

tarantonight
14th Feb 2014, 17:49
No is the simple answer to the above. Data Protection legislation applies to those who are still alive as far as I am aware.

stevfire2
14th Feb 2014, 20:11
its now being covered on Veterans Honoured on Facebook. he will get a send off.;)

Shack37
15th Feb 2014, 10:54
The wealth of PPRuNe expertise, well versed in the art of uncovering all
sorts of detail from the smallest clue, would doubtless give "Anonymous RAF
Veteran" some useful personality. At age 76 that should include surviving old mates.

My bold, very true, we have many here of that age or thereabouts so a name and a bit of history would be welcome.

Lordflasheart
15th Feb 2014, 11:19
I asked here and in the "other" place. I pm'd James, the originator. I emailed the Solihull Observer after they reported it yesterday, suggesting there wasn't much chance of finding friends or rellies without a name.

All I can see is the remark - We plan on adding his details to this thread on Tuesday,

And the RAFA have offered their number in the "other place." The Royal Air Forces Association area office is dealing with this case and has already made contact with Solihull Council to ensure the RAF Association provides as much support as it can. If anyone has any queries regarding this, please call the area office on 01392 462088 and ask to speak to the Area Director. Thank you

Absolute silence and not even a hint of explanation. Most peculiar and puzzling. LFH

racedo
15th Feb 2014, 12:31
Suggest there is a substantial will left.............24 hours later and long lost family will appear.

Cynical ...................Moi ?

Lordflasheart
19th Feb 2014, 10:25
Details just released in the other place -

Here is an update on the funeral from the RAF Association
https://www.rafa.org.uk/What-we-do/...nts-proper-send-off-for-former-RAF-Technician (https://www.rafa.org.uk/What-we-do/News/RAF-Association-wants-proper-send-off-for-former-RAF-Technician)

The funeral will take place at 15:30 on 28 February 2014 at Robin Hood Crematorium in Shirley.

The RAF Association will be represented by members of the Solihull Branch, with a standard bearer and coffin drape.
and "former RAF Technician Barry Morgan Neal ...

Not much is known about Mr Neal, apart from the fact that he was a Technician in the Royal Air Force between 1962 and 1971."

RIP. LFH

Checks Complete
19th Feb 2014, 10:38
I am sure the local SSAFA and the RAFBF would be able to help and confirm military service.

Dave Sharpe
19th Feb 2014, 10:40
Hi--its a long shot but a phone call to RAF Innsworth ( PMC) might generate some information---they willl have records for him---and just might help....!
There is also a retired Vicar in Worcestershire who is Ex RAF Engineering Officer who might be prepared to assist in ant way he can-PM me if you want either his contact details or Innsworth

Lordflasheart
20th Feb 2014, 09:46
No relation I suppose, just a coincidence ?

From Where Are They Now ? last week.
Does anyone know the whereabouts of 1211832 Flight Sergeant Patrick Richard Murray Neal, later 172243 Pilot Officer Neal DFC?

http://www.pprune.org/where-they-now/534149-plt-off-patrick-richard-murray-neal-dfc.html

Topsy Turvey
20th Feb 2014, 10:49
Hi--its a long shot but a phone call to RAF Innsworth ( PMC) might generate some information---they willl have records for him---and just might help....!

I think you mean RAF Records at Cranwell

RAF Innsworth / RAF PMC closed some 4 or 5 years ago

NutLoose
20th Feb 2014, 11:14
One I found with the same name appears to be still alive, same period as this chap too, and an apprentice

Named Barry

103rd-Entry-Association (http://www.103rd-entry.org.uk/A0_Assocn.htm)

Shack37
20th Feb 2014, 17:09
One I found with the same name appears to be still alive, same period as this
chap too, and an apprentice

Named Barry

If there was a discrepency in age, 66 instead of 76 and the name it could be him.
As recently deceased and alone his death may not be known to the 103 Entry Association. Depending on the documentation found leaving any doubt.
Then again, surely there's a Pruner in the 103 group who could clarify.

Just had a closer look at the website, Barry Neal was selected for pilot training.

dagama
20th Feb 2014, 20:22
Wg Cdr Barry Neal was OC 241 OCU at Brize in 1992. He was a VC10 pilot and a Halton brat. IIRC, he was 103rd Entry and that would tie in with the previous 2 posts.

teeteringhead
21st Feb 2014, 10:43
RAF Cosford (nearest RAF unit) and the local 492 (Solihull) Sqn ATC Sqn have been informed and asked if they can help.

Fingers crossed.

Lordflasheart
21st Feb 2014, 18:22
From the other place - ;)

RAF Cosford detachment will be lining the route etc. etc.

The officiating bish has told the Crem Manager to expect between 300 and 1000.

A poster with expertise reckons she's found two brothers and other family members. Apparently she's in touch with the Council and the Solihull Observer - who will be liaising with the RAFA.

Should be quite a show. :ok: WTS. LFH

Red Line Entry
24th Mar 2014, 09:27
Cosford Personnel Represent RAF At Funeral (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcosford/newsweather/index.cfm?storyid=B8F586BF-5056-A318-A8DC5E71BF88236D)

Nice to see the ability of PPRuNe to highlight important cases and achieve results!

Wander00
24th Mar 2014, 10:46
Well done all