PDA

View Full Version : Transceiver / Receiver

YODI
12th Feb 2014, 14:11
Hi Guys

I am going to sell my Transceiver as I simply never use it, but are they legal for anyone to use?

Someone told me you can only carry a receiver?

Thanks

PJD1
12th Feb 2014, 15:06
This might be useful http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/206063-listening-uk-atc-communications-law.html

The bit that says "A licence is not required for a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission as well" would tend to suggest that it would be illegal to use it without a FRTOL regardless of whether you were transmitting or not as it is "capable of transmission".

Of course there is no restriction on owning it, anyone can buy one, it would just be illegal to use it!

YODI
12th Feb 2014, 16:06
Thanks Paul, I will read the link now.

Would a PPL holder be allowed as a radio license is part of it?

John R81
12th Feb 2014, 17:10
PPL holders have an air-band radio operator license in order to qualify and so they can use an air-band transceiver.

YODI
12th Feb 2014, 18:23
Thanks for your help John

Heston
12th Feb 2014, 19:39
The holder of a FRTOL may only use an airband transceiver in an aircraft. You cant use a handheld outside of an aircraft without other licences/certificates for the operator.

Whopity
13th Feb 2014, 08:39
would tend to suggest that it would be illegal to use it without a FRTOLPPL holders have an air-band radio operator license in order to qualify and so they can use an air-band transceiver. Not strictly true!

The privileges of a FRTOL are to operate an aircraft radio station. If the portable transceiver forms part of the aircraft radio station i.e. in an emergency, it is perfectly legal to use it. On the ground away from the aircraft, the FRTOL is no more use than a driving licence, it is an operator licence not a station licence. Any transmitter, unless it is subject to an exemption, needs a radio station licence to operate it. There is nothingh illegal regarding posession or sale of such equipment unless it falls into a specifically restriced category such as some CB equipment.

znww5
13th Feb 2014, 08:59
What Heston & Whopity said. I think some of the confusion is because historically the possession of a FRTOL used to allow people to operate an airfield A/G station - and in fact many were 'grandfathered' across.

However these days you need a 1 hour written and 1 hour practical exam just to get the A/G certificate, which then has to be countersigned by the airfield's radio licence holder.

Whopity
13th Feb 2014, 11:11
because historically the possession of a FRTOL used to allow people to operate an airfield A/G station Very historical; The only licence that entitled the holder to operate a Ground Radio Station was the Flight Radio Telephony Operator's (General) Licence which predates the CAA by a number of years. Probably last issued in the 1960s. If you held a FRTOL(Restricted) you were exempt the exams to obtain a Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence (Restricted) which still has to be endorrsed by the ground radio station lincense holder before you can exercise the privileges of that certificate.

There is quite a lot of information re licensing on the CAA Website (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=8&pagetype=90&pageid=2#aeronautical)

Dave Gittins
13th Feb 2014, 13:03
My view on the OPs question.

There are legal restrictions on use but unless anybody does anything reckless or stupid like impersonating Heathrow Tower I have never in 40 years heard of anybody being prosecuted for quietly listening out. There isn't any restriction on sales, otherwise Transair and Harry Medelssohn wouldn't sell them over the counter and by mail order.

I regularly transmit on my old IC-20 by standing next to the aeroplane and saying "Tower G-ABCD Radio Check handheld" If that's illegal so be it.

Mariner9
13th Feb 2014, 13:20
I suspect there will be a lot of Icoms etc coming up for sale to gullible (planespotter) punters in due course as we switch over to 8.33KHz :E

YODI
13th Feb 2014, 17:30
Thanks guys, to save any hassle I've just put it on eBay and I'll let it run it's course. It's not illegal to sell and I'm hopeful it'll sell on there.

chevvron
14th Feb 2014, 08:48
Mariner9 - they'll be wasting their money if they do. The CAA only intend to issue 8.33khz frequencies for upper airspace en-route traffic in the foreseeable future, not for airfield use.

Whopity
14th Feb 2014, 14:19
They are very popular with Microlighters who often use them as an aircraft radio.

chevvron
14th Feb 2014, 14:24
That's what I was doing with my Icom when it got nicked!