PDA

View Full Version : Accident at Moorabbin Airport ?

VH-Cheer Up
11th Feb 2014, 04:18
Monitoring VicEmergency - Home (http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au) just now, noticed a Rescue at Moorabbin was marked as safe at 16:03 local (Melbourne) time. Shown on the map near Perimeter Road in the overshoot area for 35L.

Any news?

Rotor Work
11th Feb 2014, 05:31
From

No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/not-so-soft-landing-for-pilot-at-moorabbin-airport/story-fngnvmhm-1226823860115)

A PILOT was left shaken after losing a wheel and running off the runway while trying to land at Moorabbin Airport this afternoon. Emergency services were called to the airport when the single-engine aircraft damaged a wing and lost a wheel at around 2.20pm.
MFB spokeswoman Meg Rayner said the pilot, the sole occupant of the aircraft, had escaped relatively unscathed but was “quite shaken”.
“He’s hit the runway and taken a sharp turn to the left and run across the infield,” Ms Rayner said.
“Luckily his wheel came off and that brought the plane to an abrupt halt.”
Fire crews remained at the scene to check whether the plane’s fuel cell was undamaged before towing it off the runway.
The incident caused the temporary closure of the North-South runways while the plane was removed, while the other runways remained open.
Fire trucks from Carlton, Clayton, Mentone and Highett attended the accident.

SenZubEanS
11th Feb 2014, 08:03
Was there all day doing a theory course and missed the whole event :(
Thought it was weird that i saw a 10 and 9 van leaving as i pulled out of the car park

Dog One
11th Feb 2014, 09:51
Why all the fire engines?

Kulwin Park
11th Feb 2014, 10:02
I thought he would have lit a match after getting out of the Mooney :E

VH-XXX
11th Feb 2014, 10:50
I somehow doubt that fire trucks came from *Carlton* at 29 kms away from
Moorabbin airport :ouch: The reporter must have got confused with nearby Clayton.

MakeItHappenCaptain
11th Feb 2014, 11:08
I thought he would have lit a match after getting out of the Mooney

:=:=:=

Accident reporting 101. All light aircraft are CESSNAs.:E

Hempy
11th Feb 2014, 11:35
^^^ well then that Cessna had a bent fin!

PinkusDickus
12th Feb 2014, 02:59
So was it a Cessna or a Mooney? VH-???

Dog One
12th Feb 2014, 03:41
Still seems an excessive turn out to cover a single engine aircraft with 1POB. One wonders who will pay the costs. The MFB spokes person should know which units were called out. When the fire service was based there in the good old days, they only had one large unit.

Jerr
13th Feb 2014, 02:13
There is a bent up Mooney on the northside of the East West arm at YMMB.

I had fun flying into YMMB yesterday with all the smoke and haze, thanks to ATC for handling all the IFR traffic arriving at the same time. I enjoyed the holding patterns at MMBSA.

Thanks

Jerr

KeepItRolling
13th Feb 2014, 04:43
Still seems an excessive turn out to cover a single engine aircraft with 1POB.
The MFB would respond to the towers' notification of the accident and respond with available units, the first senior Fire Officer will notify their dispatchers when they need no more.

The MFB, from my experience, treat an airfield callout as an exercise and therefore, the more the merrier.

SenZubEanS
13th Feb 2014, 05:48
Saw the plane today, didn't think to get the rego though. Prop blades are bent back around the engine cowls etc. Didn't go and have a real good sticky though as there were a couple of people outside and in the cockpit doing *.

Was chatting to one of the ATC's today who said that one of their biggest issues initially was people running from the apron and across the active runway to assist, then more people following suit.

mickjoebill
13th Feb 2014, 07:26
The MFB, from my experience, treat an airfield callout as an exercise and therefore, the more the merrier.
KeepItRolling is offline Report Post

Given that most of the grass in the state that isn't watered is fully cured and the gusty conditions it may have been thought that the threat and consequences of a grass fire was significant.

How long did it take for the first fire unit to pull-up beside the plane?

Mickjoebill