PDA

View Full Version : Which Route for an FAA CPL MEIR?

TheNakedTrader
11th Feb 2014, 02:30
Hi all,

My ultimate aviation goal (FAA scheme), would be to acquire an FAA CPL MEIR. I understand that with the FAA CPL MEIR, I can fly INSTRUMENT COMMERCIALLY on a SINGLE ENGINE and a MULTI ENGINE Aircraft.

I am currently at the Private level, holding both ASEL and AMEL (VFR only).

Below is a layout of the other ratings i will be taking in order:

1) PPL ASEL IFR
2) PPL AMEL IFR (essentially, add IFR privileges onto my multi rating, giving me a PPL ME IR)

3) Commercial ASEL
4) Commercial AMEL

The confusing thing is Step 3 and 4.

I am under the impression that with a PPL MEIR to start off with, after I have completed the Commercial ASEL, my certificate automatically reads Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land Instrument. Is this correct?

On the other hand, I've heard from other sources that I would still need to take a Commercial Multi add-on checkride which comprises of just normal IFR approaches and engine out IFR approaches...which I would have already done when I am adding the IFR privileges onto my multi rating at the private level.

I'm confused with this aspect. WOuld like to seek advice from you guys out there

dera
11th Feb 2014, 02:53
I believe you mentioned on another thread that you cannot work in the US. So why pursue the FAA license?

zondaracer
11th Feb 2014, 03:17
I am under the impression that with a PPL MEIR to start off with, after I have completed the Commercial ASEL, my certificate automatically reads Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land Instrument. Is this correct?

This is not correct. You will need to do a commercial multi engine checkride.

Klimax
11th Feb 2014, 06:02
Dera,

There can be many reasons for getting FAA license without having the right to work in the US.
I recently did my FAA ticket, based on my EASA ATPL, because it gives me/the company, added flexibility in choosing simulator providers for initials/re-currents. Lot's of corporate/private jet management companies manages airframes registered in The Cayman's, Bermuda etc and they would validate an FAA license.
Secondly I believe there are a lot of N reg.'s around the world, that you can work on with an FAA license, without having the right to live/work on US soil.

Cheers,
K.

dera
11th Feb 2014, 06:16
Klimax I agree with that. I was simply wondering why choose FAA license as the initial pilot certificate. For someone based in Singapore looking for employment, that is hardly the license that opens the most doors.

Klimax
11th Feb 2014, 13:17
Dera,

I'd think that if one was to choose between a Singaporean (ICAO), FAA and an EASA CPL license - then probably the FAA would be the "best" one of the lot, to aim at for initial - if one was not planning on working on an EU reg. aircraft. It's still the cheapest license to get, the standards are sufficient (good) and it's reasonably convertible to other ICAO licenses.

Cheers,
K.