PDA

View Full Version : A Reality Checkride.

TheNakedTrader
10th Feb 2014, 07:35
Becoming a commercial airline pilot is some tough :mad:. No kidding. The only 2 things that could make the whole process slightly easier would be conversion from the military route OR being one of the lucky few to be selected for the airline zero-time cadet programmes.

I for one, do not belong to any of the above mentioned 2 routes. For starters, I am paying for flight training all by myself. No help from parents (even though they can jolly well afford to offer financial assistance), no bank loans, nothing. For me, its basically work and save to pay for flight training.

As such, even though I have my sights set on being an Airbus 320 or B737 pilot for some airline, I feel it is crucial that I ( and probably all self-sponsored pilots) take a stage check from time to time along this arduos journey of making it to the cockpit.

Doing so enables one to really think about things, re-evaluate their flying goals and formulate the next best course of action...whether to continue or to give up altogether

Here's a brief background about myself:

Sex: Male, Chinese
Country of Origin: Singapore
Licenses Held: FAA PPL (ASEL and AMEL, VFR only for both)

Immediate Flight Goals:

i) Time building in Florida, August-September 2014 and the IFR written

ii) IFR course in September-October 2015 ( Single Engine)

iii) IFR Multi-Engine Add-On in January- February 2016

iv) Commercial Single Engine (January- February 2016)

vi) Commercial Multi- Engine Add On (January- February 2016)

Once I am done with all the above 6 items, I will effectively have an FAA CPL MEIR ticket...now this is where the real fun/headache begins...

The biggest question after achieving this step would be: WHAT NEXT???

Note:

1) In Singapore, it is NOT legally allowed to engage in aerial mapping, banner towing or any of the activites USA pilots would normally do to build hours for the 1500 hr mark

2) It is insanely expensive in Singapore to fly. It costs like $350-$400 to fly a G1000 equipped DA40..which is the only November registered plane in this tiny island. This also means that giving flight instruction is also out. So no point going for CFI, CFII and MEI

3) I am from Singapore, and have no legal permit to work in the USA. Given my current circumstances, unless I divorce my wife (since everything is already rocky) and marry and American gal, I can't do any hour building work in the USA.

So really...

WHAT'S NEXT? HOW DO I MOVE ON FROM AN FAA CPL MEIR?:bored:

I do have some ideas..which I will share later in Part 2..for now, it's time to get off work! Yippee!

P.S: Nay-sayers and encouragement providers are welcome!

TheNakedTrader
10th Feb 2014, 10:36
Anyway...so what options do I have with an FAA CPL MEIR once I have gotten it? Seriously... I have no idea.

Firstly, as mentioned in the previous thread, I am not from the USA. Unless I end up marrying an American gal, there's no way I'd get a green card, much less the right to live and work in the USA.

Secondly, I haven't got a 4 year college degree required by most US airlines. I've got GCE A levels, which equates to Year 12 or High School. Yes, I did qualify for University. But the rebellious side of me got better and I dropped out altogether.

So basically, my options to utilize my FAA licenses in the States are close to none.

The only option I have?

Get an FAA Airbus 320 or B737 PIC TypeRating and then look for some line training agency that has links to airlines that WILL take in FAA license holders. Yes... P2F basically..

Yes, I know I'm gonna get flamed. But really, the way i look at it, that seems to be the only way to go..

Another thing to look at would be the FAA to EASA Conversion Route.

This means I would need to

1) Get an EASA Class 1 Medical issued by the UK CAA

2) Pass all 14 ATPL exams

3) CPL Skills Test/IR conversion/MEP conversion

4) Self Sponsored Jet Orientation Course

5) Self Sponsored Multi Crew Co-op Course

6) Self Sponsored B737 or A320 Type Rating

Here's a little problem..the EASA CLass 1 Medical is waaaay more anal than the FAA First Class. My myopia meets the requirements, but based on what I recall, my astigmatism overshoots by 0.25.

Even if I do miraculously get my astigmatism lowered to the acceptable limits, and I walk away with all the EASA Licenses, it's still back to the good old question of WHAT'S NEXT?

loveflyingalways
10th Feb 2014, 10:49
I have a friends who's been trying for different line training or what is now P2F agencies but due to some reasons those agencies don't accept FAA. From what he says is try said any other ICAO license (canada, JAA, Dgca, etc) but no FAA. I have no clue why not.
So just letting you know from things I have herd.
Yes, p2f is not the best way to get in to the industry but it's you're choice and you're money.

redsnail
10th Feb 2014, 10:53
You've stated that you want to fly for an airline.
You haven't stated which one. You've been ruled out of the USA because of the green card/visa rules. (You can enter the green card lottery)

Do you qualify to live and work in Europe? If not, then don't bother with the EASA licence. If you thought the USA was expensive, try Europe...

Essentially, where can you work?
Once you've established that. What airlines are there?
What are their requirements. Once you have that information, then you can formulate a plan to meet them.