PDA

View Full Version : family access to the flight deck

spelling_nazi
9th Feb 2014, 19:13
Which (if any) airlines in Australia and the Pacific and NZ interpret the rules such that travelling family members are permitted to use the jump seat if necessary?

In QANTAS mainline it's a definite no and I assume it's the same for all parts of the "group"

I heard through the grapevine
that virgin allow access when family are passengering on the same flight as related operating crew..

Can those from other airlines shed some light on this for me please?

waren9
9th Feb 2014, 20:16
jq must have an asic i think.

bullsh1t rules hasnt/doesnt stop it from happening tho :E

sadly the dobbing culture in aussie is strong. not so much elsewhere. i'm not saying where or who either.

:ok:

Jabawocky
9th Feb 2014, 20:28
Those that do are hardly going to advertise it here. :confused:

spelling_nazi
9th Feb 2014, 21:57
Why? It is either company policy to allow it or not? Hardly state secrets.

And it's a question to fellow airline employees so why move to GA section?

BNEA320
9th Feb 2014, 22:32
think that for charters almost anything goes (up to captain?)

For RPT have jump seated domestically recently, being neither family nor employee & no, not going to say who or how.

Artificial Horizon
10th Feb 2014, 00:44
As far as I am aware the Air NZ group allow jumpseating by ANYONE who is known to the crew. I seems that only the UK and Australia are really anal about jumpseating. Everywhere in Europe allows jumpseating by anyone known to the crew as does the USA (ironically since 9/11 was domestic states).

Water Wings
10th Feb 2014, 01:16
As far as I am aware the Air NZ group allow jumpseating by ANYONE who is known to the crewWith certain caveats, yes. Can't be done to/from The US or UK though.

PyroTek
10th Feb 2014, 04:49
And it's a question to fellow airline employees so why move to GA section?

Perhaps "The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions" may help answer your question. Also, it is neither a rumour or a news topic as stated in the forum's description "Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific: Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific".
:D

However, this post is straying from the topic at hand... Merely stating an observation.

spelling_nazi
10th Feb 2014, 06:24
Yes indeed but I would like the intended respondents, Aussie and nz airline pilots to have the thread highlighted, and they generally lurk in the other section. I know it is a huge point of contention at the roo especially with the degrading of tech crew staff travel priority thus making taking of family members on operating trips nigh on impossible.

Flaps_at_45
15th Feb 2014, 16:18
Interesting. I had the Governor General of New Zealand in the jump seat once. On a flight from Auckland to Wellington Mr Anand Satianand came to join is. I never found out out who arranged that, was not even advised. Should probably have refused.