PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Test Marks

kingmomo
7th Feb 2014, 16:29
hello
just wanted to ask what is the average mark that you should get for your atpl exam because some people told me those marks are not important in any company , on the other side i think ;; a guy gets 96% as a average and other one gets 86% who would that company take ? its just confusing
should i make an effort to get good marks or just pass them all

Gulfstreamaviator
7th Feb 2014, 17:14
When I sat the CAA UK ATPL written papers my intention was to PASS, by 0.0001 % more than needed.

I was self funded, and flying freight over night, and doing written papers in day time.

Sitting next to me for most of the papers was a Britannia sponsored candidate. He wanted 99.9% to ensure that he was top dog in his intake.

Horses for courses.

I have almost 50 years in corporate operations.

He retired many years ago, having had an equally interesting life.

The aim is to PASS, by how much depends on your needs, and even perhaps ego.

RTN11
7th Feb 2014, 17:31
To be fair I worked pretty hard on the ATPLs and averaged around 93%, when I finally got to an airline interview and proudly handed over my pass results, they only seemed to care that I'd passed them all, the actual % didn't seem relevant at all.

As above though, in a very competitive selection, where you're all on a cadet course, or all bidding for a position, something as small as this could tip the balance. I'm at a smaller turbo prop outfit where it was much more about you as a person than exam results or where you did flight training.

Sirijus
8th Feb 2014, 21:18
My average score was 87% and during an airline interview I was asked why it was so low and in which subjects my performance was weakest. In the end it did lead to me being offered a job, but I would rather preferred not to have to explain myself about it. It's not among the main things they are looking at but if you can, nailing the exams is the best way to go. In this harsh industry if they find anything about you they dislike, they have all the right to throw your CV into the bin :)

Stefan123
8th Feb 2014, 21:30
Well I can give you some advice as I'm about to start mine in August.

You should probably know a few things. The industry today is pretty crap so your average employer is looking at the best deal he can snag.

From a logical standpoint - yes passing is more than enough, let's be real if I have to know about all those things in HPL and air law to make me do my everyday job I'd love to see an explanation why.

However, companies are using grades today as a filter. A few people on this forum told me that they'll be interested to see if you failed and what your average was. Let's be realistic if you have 1000 people applying to an airline they'll want to see who has the highest grades, ultimately who will work for the least and be a slave for the longest.

At the end of the day, studying an extra hour or two won't kill you. Some companies care and some don't but don't be that guy hitting himself on the head when you get denied a job because you didn't study.