PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from the past

Centaurus
7th Feb 2014, 12:18
An ATSB Final Report (AO-2012-137) has recently been published on the Fokker 100 hard landing at Nifty WA in 2012. It makes scary reading that a sudden and completely unexpected micro-burst a few seconds before touch down caused the airspeed to drop 23 knots in three seconds between 30 and 80 feet agl. No wonder the aircraft fell out of the sky resulting in a hard touch-down.

Just yesterday I discovered in my shed, DCA Aviation Safety Digest No 1 dated July 1953. The original DCA “Crash Comic.” It was in good nick so I took it to my local coffee shop and read it. The magazine had 27 Pages of first class reading. No advertisements and no quizzes. Part 1 included aviation news and views (in other words good gen such as cockpit design and safety, refuelling dangers, how long does it take to feather manually and starting accidents) Part 2 Overseas Accidents. Part 3 Australian accidents. Part 4 Incident reports.

Page 24 discussed a take off accident to a DH89 Dragon Rapide, a twin engine biplane first flown in 1930. The ASD summary said “During the take-off run at Hookers Creek, Northern Territory, the pilot of a DH.89 decided to abandon the take-off owing to a violent change of wind. The aircraft over-ran the end of the strip and ran into partially cleared scrub. The aircraft was extensively damaged, but neither the pilot nor the two passengers were injured. The single strip is 3,200 feet long.

The pilot had landed at Hookers Creek without incident, although he noticed a deterioration in weather was imminent. Two passengers and some mail were taken aboard and preparations were made to take off in the 098 degree direction of the landing strip. When half the take-off run had been completed and before the aircraft was airborne a violent swing of wind to 300 degrees occurred. This resulted in a tail wind component estimated at 50 m.p.h. The pilot, sensing that he was covering too much ground before obtaining flying speed, decided to abandon the take-off when two-thirds of the strip had been covered without becoming airborne. Despite the remaining uphill slope and the application of brake, the aircraft, helped with by a strong tail wind, continued beyond the end of the strip where it collided with scrub before being brought to a halt.

Conditions of violent wind changes are well known in this locality, but as local weather information is dependent largely on voluntary reports from stations, wind changes cannot be easily forecast. A more careful judgement of weather conditions may have shown that adverse wind conditions could be expected at or about the time of take-off. The cause of the accident was a sudden and violent change in wind velocity which the pilot did not anticipate.

The term micro-burst was unknown in those days but reading that 1953 ASD report brought back memories of my own experiences of wind-shear. In November1953 I was tasked by the RAAF to take a Dr Gavin Douglas in a Wirraway from Townsville to Hughenden. A station hand had been badly burned in a fire and needed urgent medical attention. The forecast for the flight was fine. With the doctor in the back seat we departed Townsville to the west and arrived at Hughenden 1.5 hours later. The doctor said he would be back at the airport within three hours providing there were no complications with the patient. It was mighty hot as the afternoon wore on and I was concerned at the approach of a low dark cloud from the west.

There were no flares at Hughenden and I was anxious to get back to Townsville before last light. The wind sock was slack when the doctor arrived in a cloud of dust back at the airstrip and as I helped him into his parachute into the rear cockpit, the approaching dark cloud was a mile or so from the airport. The take off direction was away from the cloud and after a quick magneto check I started the take off. There were the usual trees and scrub surrounding country airports and I realised the airspeed was awfully slow to increase and the far trees were getting close. I had a quick glance at a nearby windsock and was shocked to see it standing nearly horizontal at about a 20 knot tail-wind. Yet another wind-sock at the beginning of the runway had been quite limp. A micro-burst or just a wind-shear from a fast moving front? I don’t know

Either way, it was too late to abort so I fire-walled the engine and just got airborne by the runway end. The trees were higher than I expected and I dropped down a few degrees of flap and cleared them by a few feet and still just above the stall. Eventually I was able to accelerate, retract the flaps and set course for Townsville. The doctor in the back seat was restricted in forward vision by the front cockpit which was probably just as well. After we arrived at Townsville I told him what had happened. He was not concerned. Some 10 years later my wife was in a Melbourne hospital for treatment. By amazing coincidence Dr Douglas was her surgeon.

We have seen what happened to the Fokker 100 when it was hit by a micro-burst at Nifty. The DH.89 Dragon copped it on his take off run and so did I in the Wirraway. In each of the three instances the wind shear caught the pilots by surprise. Another type of wind-shear was nearly a disaster for a Boeing 737 pilot landing at the United States Navy base at Guam in the Marianna Islands. The airport called Agana, has two parallel runways. Runway 6L is 10,000 feet long with an ILS and Runway 6R 8000 ft with no navaids or VASIS. A single taxi way adjoins the threshold of both runways and back tracking is required to reach the starting points of 6L and 6R. The two runways are about 200 metres apart Sometimes ATC will require an aircraft on mid final 6L ILS to break right (called side-stepping) and align to land on 6R. An aircraft at the holding point on the taxi way joining the runways will then be cleared to line up and depart on 6L while the aircraft on final will land 6R. Usually everything goes smoothly but this time it didn’t.

The arriving Air Nauru Boeing 737-200 was on the ILS having arrived from Manila. ATC instructed the aircraft to break right and side step right to land 6R when visual. Meanwhile a Pan American Airways Boeing 747 was holding short of 6L, on the threshold taxiway between the two runways, awaiting take off clearance. The night was dark and wind calm.

The 737 reported visual at four miles on ILS final and turned slightly right to align with 6R. Soon after, ATC cleared the waiting 747 to taxi from the holding point for 6L and to take off 6L. The pilot of the 747 acknowledged the instruction. At 500 feet on short final for 6R, the crew of the 737 were slightly high on glide slope because there was no VASIS on 6R. As the 737 passed over the threshold of 6R at Vref speed of 134 knots, the captain who was PF, felt the wings rock sharply and at the same time the aircraft appeared to drop out of control. The startled first officer called out loudly “VREF minus 20”. Fortunately the captain had already started to go around by pulling back hard on the control column and pushing the thrust levers to the forward stops.

Just as the aircraft was about to hit the runway, the thrust took effect and the 737 climbed away without further drama, apart from the fright experienced by the crew. It quickly entered cloud, the clean up of flaps and gear commenced, and the aircraft was radar vectored for the 6L ILS. That landing was uneventful.

It transpired that the Panam 747 did not line up immediately after being cleared for take off by ATC. This meant it stayed in position on the taxiway with the tail of the 747 at right angles to Runway6R and some 50 -75 metres from 6R. The pilot of the 747 then chose the wrong moment to open his thrust levers to break-away thrust, just as the Air Nauru 737 passed directly behind and across the jet efflux of four engines. . Because it was night it is possible he failed to see the 737 on short final and behind him. The jet blast and heat effect hit the 737 as it came through slightly above the glide slope. The dramatic loss in airspeed then took place. It was indeed fortunate that the 737 was higher than normal over the 6R threshold due to no glide slope guidance, otherwise the result could have been very serious.

It goes to show that no matter how experienced the pilot is – both the Fokker 100 crew and the 737 crew were highly experienced – wind-shear from whatever source can be dangerous especially if there is no prior warning. While the Fokker crew had practice at wind-shear recovery during cyclic training that could have been three years apart; which is not exactly current training. .

TOUCH-AND-GO
7th Feb 2014, 13:02
Superb and brilliant. I really enjoy reading your posts Centaurus. Thank you! :ok:

Wind-shear can indeed be very hazardous to both experienced and non experienced pilots. I had my share of Wind-shear yesterday in the afternoon when I noticed the windsock shifting 180 degrees and the airspeed dropping 15 kts.

T&G.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Feb 2014, 14:29
Thankyou Mr C.....

Clear, Concise, and to the Point..!!

:ok:

sms777
7th Feb 2014, 15:51
I have experienced windshear many times in my flying career in the outback and northern parts of Australia. The most frightening was when I have departed Chillagoe in north Queensland in the middle of winter around midday in a Queenair with 10 pob, temp was around 30 degrees , wind 140 at 10 kts runway heading by memory 180. Elevation about 2000' There is a hill to the left of the runway just after the threshold reaching about 500 feet over runway height. I was at max TOW, got airborne at end of runway when sudden gust of wind hit me from behind caused by turbulance from hill from the left. Despite of ten degrees of flap, gear up, full power, my instruments showing positive rate of climb, I could see by glancing out of my windows that in fact I was not climbing. By miracle after passing the hill to my left I got a sudden gust that got me enough height to clear the rocks in my immediate front that filled the windscreen which I will never forget.
I have survived another day.
Thanks Centaurus, your contributions keeping my dreams alive.......

JustJoinedToSearch
7th Feb 2014, 21:11
T-N-G Melbourne?
At one stage I think the atis was saying something like 180-350/18kts.

Old Akro
7th Feb 2014, 21:40
I have most if not all the "crash comics" from about 1974. I'd get them out and read them except it will make me more depressed about the current low standard of material from CASA, sigh.

Tee Emm
7th Feb 2014, 22:40
I read the F100 windshear report, too. All is not lost though. The ATSB report states at the end, the pilots of that company will soon be the grateful recipients of new company advice called "A Threat-Based take-off and landing model." Don't you just love the weasel words corporate language?

I am still trying to work out what that really means in practical terms

Old Akro
7th Feb 2014, 23:00
I am still trying to work out what that really means in practical terms

Biggest threat is CASA if you have an incident.

TOUCH-AND-GO
7th Feb 2014, 23:36
T-N-G Melbourne?
At one stage I think the atis was saying something like 180-350/18kts.

Final for Kyneton. Though I do recall ATIS at Essendon saying something just alike. :8

FGD135
8th Feb 2014, 01:49
"A Threat-Based take-off and landing model."
What a joke.

I can tell you right now that that model will be identical to current takeoff practice, which is, after all, the result of decades of experience.

If it is something different, then this operator will actually have gone backwards, safety-wise.

What a joke. All stemming from that utterly ridiculous approach to "threat and error management" (TEM) that has been foisted upon the industry by ICAO and CASA.

pithblot
8th Feb 2014, 03:59
Centaurus. Thanks for your excellent post. I wonder what else is squirrelled away in your shed?

Old Akro. I hear what you are saying. Today's Flight Safety Australia doesn't hold a candle to the old Aviation Safety Digest which was, and still is, a wonderful air safety resource.

Here are some related threads, from last decade;

The Original Aviation Safety Digest No 1 - Fascinating (http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/93866-original-aviation-safety-digest-no-1-fascinating.html).

Striking Gold with old DCA Aviation Safety Digests
(http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/125798-striking-gold-old-dca-aviation-safety-digests.html)

Wannabes. Is there a potential pilot out there with the time and inclination to track these magazines down, digitise them and put them on the Internet? It would be a marvellous service to aviation to have these magazines available on the net; and whoever did this would have an interesting talking point for a CV and job interview.

dubbleyew eight
8th Feb 2014, 04:14
in one of the old flight safety mags was an insert.
it was printed on yellow paper from memory and started....

Dear Ian, at the risk of boring you fartless, a last minute brief - Bush Techniques/Survival. A random Potpourri....

the editor prefaced it with a note.
"the following is a facsimile of a letter that appeared on my desk in the form of a very poor quality photocopy. I have changed only the names to protect the innocent. Some aspects may be contentious and perhaps slightly less than 'legal' but the letter contains so much good common sense that I thought it should survive intact."

I actually had this letter posted on the SAAA web site when I ran it.

it is truely the most sage piece of advice I have ever seen written in aviation.
I have used many of its points and hints in making my own flying safer.

who wrote it? I owe him a carton of beer. W8

Centaurus
8th Feb 2014, 09:41
Continuing with the theme of lessons from the past, comes this from my edition of Aviation Safety Digest No 1. Under the heading Airport Discipline, is this brief report:

An Auster taxied past the Control Tower at Bankstown within 20 feet of the signal square. The wind "T" was pointing NE, but the aircraft took off into the SW without the pilot giving any notice of his intentions. During the take-off, the aircraft crossed the landing path of several aircraft, causing some of them to go around again. Shortly after becoming airborne the Auster pilot made a climbing right hand turn from 100 feet on to course.

The pilot of the Auster displayed a serious lack of airport discipline resulting in other aircraft being placed in a hazardous position. The pilot has been severely reprimanded for his carelessness in failing to keep a proper look out.
............................................................ ........................................

The editor of Aviation Safety Digest didn't pull punches as you can see by the his comments. He told it like it was. I can just imagine the Auster pilot being ordered to report to a DCA Examiner (probably a former RAAF wartime Wing Commander) and being roared at for being a flying hoon.
Now other pilots can learn lessons from reading the report rather than nowadays where ATSB are oh so careful of the legal ramifications if they are seen to openly criticise the actions of the pilot. So they include a list of "Significant Factors" instead, leaving readers to come to their own conclusions.

And here is another one which will interest those who used to fly from Moorabbin in the old days. The heading is "Take-Off Accident Moorabbin Airport 1953"

Immediately after becoming airborne from Moorabbin Airport, Victoria on 17th January 1953, the port engine of an Avro Anson failed. The aircraft continued across the aerodrome a few feet above the ground until it struck a telephone post on the road at the northern boundary of the aerodrome and crashed into field on the opposite side of the road. The crew of three were uninjured. The aircraft was extensively damaged by the collision and impact.

During the run-up before take-off, an engine revolution drop of approximately 150 revolutions on the starboard magneto of the starboard engine revealed during this run up, was cleared after the engine had been operated for some 15 to 20 minutes. The pilot then carried out a pre-take-off check at the take-off point. The take-off was quite normal and after travelling 1800 to 2000 feet the aircraft became airborne.

At this stage, the pilot felt a loss of power which he at first thought was in the starboard engine because of the previous r.p.m. drop. However, he immediately realised, from the tendency of the aircraft to swing to the left, that the power loss was on the port side and was moving to pull the port throttle off when the engine momentarily picked up again. The pilot thought it was only a momentary loss of power and decided to continue to take-off, but almost immediately the port engine failed completely. Realising that he would not be able to climb away, the pilot elected to fly under some telephone wires on the northern boundary and land in a paddock across the road rather than attempt to bring the aircraft to rest within the aerodrome boundary.

The aircraft gradually lost height and the main wheels struck a mound of earth near the aerodrome boundary. It then bounced across the road and struck a telephone post, severing some 14 feet of the port wing, and finally struck the ground on the other side of the road, coming to rest in a cultivated field.
Analysis: An examination of the engine failed to reveal any defect, abnormality or evidence of malfunctioning that may have contributed to or caused the engine failure.

The testimony of the pilot and crew revealed that there had been an unnecessary, unorthodox and complicated manipulation of the fuel cocks prior to take-off which suggested that the engine failure could have been due to the mismanagement of the fuel system. The nature of the engine failure was consistent with fuel starvation. Furthermore, the stage at which the engine failed, corresponds with the point an engine would fail if the fuel had been turned off at the pre-take-off position.

Interrogation of the pilot revealed that this was only his second flight as a pilot of an Avro Anson aircraft for some nine years and that he was not entirely familiar with the fuel system. There is no possibility that the take-off could have been continued after the loss of one engine as tests show that an Avro Anson, with the undercarriage down, will only just maintain height on one engine at an all-up weight of 7,400 ib., when operated under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level. The aircraft in this case was loaded to approximately 8,200 ib.

Cause: The cause of the accident was the failure of the port engine, just after the aircraft became airborne, which resulted in the aircraft being unable to climb away. The engine failure was caused by fuel starvation probably due to mismanagement of the fuel system by the pilot.
............................................................ ......................................

Some eight years after that Anson accident I was posted to RAAF Headquarters Support Command in St Kilda Rd, Melbourne where I was appointed to the job of HQ Support Command Aero Club Liaison Officer. My duties included supervising the RAAF Air Training Corps Flying Scholarship Scheme. By sheer rat cunning I managed to sneak away from my desk and regularly fly with ATC cadets attached to the Royal Victorian Aero Club. The RAAF kindly allotted 50 hours a year for my continuation training at various aero clubs. This was in addition to regular flying I was able to cadge in the Vampires and Dakotas of The Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) at RAAF base Laverton. So for a desk job in HQ I didn't do too badly chasing flying.

One of the many civilian pilots I was privileged to meet at Moorabbin was Barry Allen who was about the same age (30) as me in those days. Barry flew an Avro Anson single pilot on passenger and freight runs to western Victoria, and invited me along for a ride. As I soon discovered, it certainly wasn't my highly intelligent absolutely delightful personality that prompted him to offer the flight to me. No, it was something else - and Barry could see a sucker a mile away.

We climbed up through the Anson (VH-FIC) rear door and crawled over freight to reach the cockpit. Barry took the left seat and I took the right seat. He pointed at a handle in the cockpit floor and said that when the time came to retract the undercarriage would I mind winding the handle about 40 revolutions to get the wheels into the underside of the engine nacelles. He warned me it was a hard work especially in the last few winds of the handle. He wasn't wrong. Flying an Anson single pilot and having to wind the undercarriage retraction handle with one hand while flying with the other hand would tax the strongest man. Hence Barry Allen's "kind" offer for me to come for the trip!

Having regained my breath after winding the undercarriage up, I was able to sit back and enjoy the country side all the way to Hamilton. Barry was an excellent pilot and did a lovely three pointer on the grass at Hamilton. Before that he let me tune the ancient radio compass which had a handle to select various frequencies. The radio compass was situated in the cockpit roof. It was only then I saw Playboy naked women posters that Barry had thoughtfully plastered all over the cockpit roof. I liked his style and wondered how I could try the same thing in the Vampire I used to fly from Laverton. The thought of a Courts Martial for defacing Her Majesty's fighter, soon stopped that thought in its tracks.

After the Anson was loaded for the return to Moorabbin, Barry invited me to fly from the left seat. It was a lovely gesture which I have never forgotten. Thanks, Barry - if you are still around the traps in 2014.:ok:

DeltaT
9th Feb 2014, 01:40
I make no claims of being an expert, and of course I wasn't there to know all the ins and outs, however reading that F100 report there is not one questioning mention about the crew having received a cockpit warning of windshear only added 5 knots to their speed???

dubbleyew eight
9th Feb 2014, 04:25
Cause: The cause of the accident was the failure of the port engine, just after the aircraft became airborne, which resulted in the aircraft being unable to climb away. The engine failure was caused by fuel starvation probably due to mismanagement of the fuel system by the pilot.

dont ask me how I know but a magneto with a leaking oil seal can give the exact same engine characteristics.
I wonder how many times the magnetos were ever checked?

Capn Bloggs
9th Feb 2014, 04:55
I make no claims of being an expert, and of course I wasn't there to know all the ins and outs, however reading that F100 report there is not one questioning mention about the crew having received a cockpit warning of windshear only added 5 knots to their speed???
Because the windshear warning was probably only momentary. If you had experience in these types in the conditions they were in, you would realise WS warnings occur on a regular basis and are generally "spurious". The F100 doesn't have a high-speed wing and so +5 could be quite acceptable.

I would be more questioning about the airport operator that doesn't have a VHF AWIS or a windsock at the threshold (not shown in DAP at least). Nothing like a quick glance at the windsock at 200ft to pick up a 32kt tailwind on the ground...

Fantome
9th Feb 2014, 09:15
The take-off accident to the DH89 described in Air Safety Digest No 1
was just the type of occurrence that led EJ Connellan to write in his company's ops manual a long and detailed section about the many meteorological hazards that could be encountered throughout the extensive network over which the company flew, from the SA border to the Top End.

A sudden wind change would obviously be encountered if you took off with strong thermals passing through the airstrip. Of course they would usually be easy to see due the spiral of dust, characteristic of a whirly wind or cockeye bob.

Connellan Airways had several DH89 over the years. Their respective fates make interesting reading. Fire on start-up leading to total destruction. Or a nose over on landing.

Incidentally the first flight of the type was actually 17 April 1934. Hooker Creek (not as a rule plural) was in recent years renamed Lajamanu.

Thank you Centaurus for all those fascinating posts. Your Barry Allen Anson experience calls to mind Jimmy Woods who ran a regular service from Perth to Rottnest Island. His front seat passengers would often be chosen on a similar basis to Barry's selection. By the time the gear was up it was almost time to start cranking it down. One time Jimmy had only one passenger over to the island.
On a high long final he shut down both engines, without saying a word. A minute or so later he restarted them. Once again not a word to his startled passenger. It was only when they shut down on the apron that an explanation was forthcoming. Jimmy (ex RFC in the First World War) pointed to his watch,
which showed about 1105, saying he always observed a minute's silence at 11 o'clock on the 11th of November. True.

Connellan Airways: DH89 Dragon Rapide VH-AHI
http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/aircraft%20images/DH89%20VH-AHI%20Inverway%20Stn%2055.jpg

Connellan Airways' DH89 Dragon Rapide VH-AHI at Inverway Station in the Kimberley, NT. This was another one of the stopping places on Connellan's scheduled services and the aircraft usually overnighted here. This 1955 photo shows the aircraft being untied and made ready in the morning. The vehicle is an FJ Holden.
(Photo: Ian Leslie (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Ian%20Leslie%20biog.htm) collection)

Dora-9
9th Feb 2014, 18:02
. Your Barry Allen Anson experience calls to mind Jimmy Woods who ran a regular service from Perth to Rottnest Island. His front seat passengers would often be chosen on a similar basis to Barry's selection. By the time the gear was up it was almost time to start cranking it down.Ah, Fantome!

My first flight EVER was with Jimmy Woods. I was too small/young to be trusted to even wind the gear, but I got to sit in the RHS! And I was well and truly "bitten" from that day on....

greybeard
9th Feb 2014, 23:29
Likewise Dora-9, Jimmy's aircraft must have been "infected" with the bug.

Dad, young brother and myself, the front seat was such a blast, never forgotten.

:ok::ok: