PDA

View Full Version : EK: Leaving process.

CaptainChipotle
6th Feb 2014, 11:55
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious if anyone has any info from anyone who has left EK recently about how smooth the process is, how long it takes to receive EOSB, Prov fund, ect. And if 3 months was required.

I don't want to get into too much of a smash fest, but my B*llsh*t bucket is full, for way too many reasons to list and I'm starting to look elsewhere.

Thanks, and safe travels.

CC

AngioJet
6th Feb 2014, 13:36
Don't have any personal experience but I remember reading this very informative blog written by an Aussie former EK training captain Leaving an International Airline, Leaving the Middle East (http://www.flight.org/blog/2010/10/17/leavingek/). Seems to contain almost everything one might want to know.

fatbus
6th Feb 2014, 15:00
They have improved the process , you will find it very straight forward, just don't be a asshole with the people trying to help you. Easier said than done!

CaptainChipotle
7th Feb 2014, 05:03
Thanks for the info. I'm not on my way out yet, just entertaining the idea. When I do leave I don't plan on burning a bridge. :}

Kapitanleutnant
7th Feb 2014, 06:05
Someone posted a note the other day about dealing with the banks and leaving EK.

Said something to the effect that when you leave, you have to pay off all your outstanding loans to the bank which, makes sense (in Dubai at least) but apparently one also has to then keep a remaining balance in that same account to the full credit limit until they clear the entire paperwork! That makes no sense!!

Don't know if that's true of all banks but certainly something to be very aware of and it was mentioned it would be wise to reduce your credit limit before leaving.

Just what I heard….

Kap

spider_man
7th Feb 2014, 08:37
How many years have you been at EK?

etops777
8th Feb 2014, 02:37
I left after 9 years with EK and the process is very straight forward.
You will have to give them 3 months notice and once the fleet has receive your resignation, someone from HR will send you a checklist, you just need to follow the checklist.

I got ESOP within 3 weeks to the bank of your choice.

Dropp the Pilot
8th Feb 2014, 05:15
Was the Provident Fund money in your hands prior to your residence visa being cancelled? Apparently some nationalities are exposed to income tax in their home country if that order is reversed.

BYMONEK
8th Feb 2014, 16:53
Dropp

That seems strange. The PF is held in a trust in the Isle of Man so is offshore anyway. As far as I'm aware, the fund can still be kept there even when you leave, just that no further contributions are allowed. I think this applies to all 3 funds.

If you were in the UK for example and cashed in the fund and brought it all 'back home', interest would then be payable on the capital each year. In this case it matters little whether you cashed it in before or after your visa was cancelled.

Even offshore assets have to be declared now so if you become a UK resident again, you may have to pay tax on the interest regardless of where the money's kept. Definitely worth taking expert advice as each case may be different.

Mister Warning
8th Feb 2014, 18:32
Leaving EK was like owning a boat - second happiest day was buying it, and happiest day was selling it....

burnable gomi
9th Feb 2014, 03:38
etops: Since you're in Singapore does that mean you went to Scoot? Is that an improvement over EK?

lospilotos
9th Feb 2014, 06:58
The blog about leaving EK was entertaining. Couldnīt help wondering though: Long time captain, pocketing an extra 40.000 AED/year for some roster tool, and still complaining about 150/month to EPC.... How tight can you be? One dinner out and your monthly subscription is paid off...

vfenext
9th Feb 2014, 07:01
With a platinum card it only takes one dinner a month to pay off the whole year and the dinners are much better!

GoreTex
9th Feb 2014, 09:51
ozzie men are very tight but not ozzie girls