PDA

View Full Version : EASA - study books vs old JAA

sambel
6th Feb 2014, 08:26
Hey,

I currently need to do these subjects. (unexpectedly)
- Flight planning
- Performance Aircraft
- Weight and balance

I have old JAA books. So I was wondering what I should do to prepare myself.
Buy the books again or take the chance that some stuff might have changed.

I have the oxford books from 2005.
I have the Jepp books from 2004.

I'm well aware that the majority of the subjects will not have changed. But it's the little things I'm worried about.

What would you advice me?
I hope that someone who already encountered the matter could help.
Or If someone know where I can buy some 2e hand ones.

Thank you

this is my username
6th Feb 2014, 16:35
I'm not an expert but as far as I am aware the syllabus changes on a not infrequent basis. At the very least when the exams went from JAA to EASA a number of topics were shuffled between exams so you will at least need to know what items to learn for which subject.

If you really don't want to buy anything then you could try comparing the EASA learning objectives with the contents of your books - or just subscribe to one of the Question Banks and make sure that you can answer the questions!

The cost of the books is probably pennies compared to the amount of time it will take you to prepare for and sit the exams so you it would probably be worth investing in some new ones. Unless you have a foreign (ICAO) ATPL you will need to complete an approved course in any case, and that will no doubt have training material associated with it - though I am scratching my head to work out the circumstances in which you would have to retake just those exams when your books date from 20004 ... ?

sambel
7th Feb 2014, 14:47
Many thanks for your answer.
I really appreciate it.
To tell you the truth, the reason why I need to retake the exams, is a very big frustrating question mark for me too.
I did an ATP in 2002 during the changeover from National to JAA, so the tests I took where still open questions following the national rules (because the CAA (like always) was lacking behind)). :confused:

Because the local CAA didn't want to change a national fATP theory to a JAA fATP theory (with IR always valid), for whatever reason what I can only imagine... and acknowledges their way of working. :ugh:
JAA rules stated that you should have TT 1500h with 500h multi crew and a TR. I only managed to get about the 1500h.
Trying to save money for a TR to trow it in the bottomless pit :{

I'm now in the situation where I have to study for something that I already had. Being confronted with the cost for the tests, searching for the time to study them, trying to figure out what in gods name they are going to ask. Apparently I also need the Jepps student introduction kit, because flight planning is based on that kit. If you use the up to date charts, then you won't have the right data.
So any useable second hand Jepps student kit is more then welcome.

I will again end up with a cost of about >200 euro's books to add to my bookshelf for absolutely nothing + db access. Ok it's not that much, but still it's not that I can live from flying.

It's not that I don't want to, but It's time to study for something in aviation that will take me to another level.

Thank you!