PDA

View Full Version : BA run of bad luck?

KelvinD
5th Feb 2014, 15:49
Are BA having a spot of bother with their 747 fleet? Feb 1st; G-BNLF from Mexico City almost landed at LHR 27R but pulled out at the last minute and went round toward the north. 14 minutes later, it came in for another go, this time on 27L and went around again! The third attempt was successful. An hour or so later, G-BNLS from Phoenix failed to land on 27L and went around, landing on the next attempt. Now today, G-BNLJ from Delhi began squawking 7700 around the Maidstone area and now 16:45, G-CIVZ LHR to Seattle got as far as north of Stornaway, squawked 7700, did a U-turn and appears now to be heading for Glasgow (poss Prestwick). It does seem as if BA are suffering a run of bad luck lately! Update; heading for Glasgow, not Prestwick.

One Outsider
5th Feb 2014, 16:09
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

wiggy
5th Feb 2014, 16:20
One...my thoughts exactly..

Butfor the OP as I understand it on the 1st it was pretty windy at times on Saturday, possibly on or close to 744 cross wind limits..plus it gets bumpy as heck on short final to 27R with that sort of wind. Possibly a reason for the go-arounds, and with LHR being BA's home base their fleet will probably log the greatest number of go arounds at LHR.

As for the other stuff, no idea, possibly medical,and again, now you've taken an interset in BA...

KelvinD
5th Feb 2014, 16:37
I posted that simply because I thought BA were being a tad unfortunate with their 747 fleet, not so I could attract a response such as "FFS". Re the sensible response from Wiggy; I take your point about the wind being a bit gusty on Saturday but what got my attention was the Mexico City flight having 3 goes before getting down, swiftly followed by yet another of their 747s having to go around, plus the fact no other airline had the same problems. And then there today's incidents. I am sure you are right about the possible causes. I believe medical emergencies are probably the most frequent cause of these emergencies. Re "now taking an interest in BA"; no such thing. I used to work for them in the late 1970s/early 1980s and have used them for the majority of my travel to the US and Middle East for the last umpteen years! Regardless of what others may say elsewhere, not a bad airline.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Feb 2014, 16:59
The Seattle flight was a medical emergency today so it could have happened to any aircraft of any airline.

KelvinD
6th Feb 2014, 07:49
Thanks HD.