PDA

View Full Version : A Family needs a bit of help.

Wallah
5th Feb 2014, 13:55
At the risk out outing myself, can I all ask you to support Karen, the Manager at the Abbey Wood Med Centre. Karen and the Med Centre staff have been fantastic in supporting my family and I while I deal with my Terminal Cancer. Karen has now decided to raise money for the charity that is supporting us (which receives no gov money), the Rainbow Centre for Children.

I think it's fair to say that the last couple of years have been bloody hard work and we wouldn't have got through it as well as we have without the Rainbow Centre. So please help out if you can.

I know this is hot on the heels of A-M's death and therefore fully understand if people choose not to give. I don't have a Bucket List, but I am lucky enough to have a family. Although mine is a relatively slow growing cancer I've now run out realistic treatment options and still been left with multiple tumours. Trying to prepare my family for my impending death has been incredibly hard and the Rainbow Centre have helped many families like myself. Their support for my family has been incredible.

Thank you.

Nick

https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/y4/r/-PAXP-deijE.gif
Karen Eyers is fundraising on JustGiving for The Rainbow Centre For Children
www.justgiving.com
Help Karen raise money for this great cause.

(http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justgiving.com%2Fthe-Robbins&h=fAQGXw4AMAQHKrkT4Y10BFU57EToDGfLldglTA0JcEQnVgg&enc=AZOO9GjJjsxc3O2_qhwIrCwm2y6cpK8DcziIyRfjA6dCNjL73GdUnofW IxtXAnsFocuRiCyi8ZDcRgT8UshK3Bz_&s=1)

NutLoose
5th Feb 2014, 16:02
:sad:

I don't know what to say, and probably a lot of the forum don't either, hence the lack of replies. Keep your chin up mate, I've donated a little, but everything counts in the end ... It's just so unfair :(

TomJoad
5th Feb 2014, 17:06
Wallah,

Happy to donate what I can. I lost my father to cancer while I was going through IOT. Detection and treatment being what it was back then gave us 3 months notice to prepare, come to terms and make our peace. Being just a kid I didn't think about it at the time but if there is any solace in this dreadful condition then the time it sometimes permits can be a gift. I'm treading on eggshells here I don't want to say the wrong thing so please forgive me if I have. I'm old enough now to look back and appreciate the real and lasting value in that time I had with my dad. He even managed to make it to the graduation - he did his national service at RAF Cranwell as an airman and I know that meant a lot to him. You sound as though you have done your level best by your family in your preparation and with help from the Abbey Wood team and the Rainbow Centre. Take some comfort please knowing that your family will benefit from that; I still do with respect to my dad. I don't know how to end this so I'm just going to say sorry If I have said the wrong thing. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Off to donate now.

To anyone else thinking about donating all I would say is that these support agencies really do make a difference, especially to the families. It's a donation well made.

Tom

Capetonian
5th Feb 2014, 17:19
My 'pennysworth' is now added.

Best wishes to you and all concerned.

Ron Manager
5th Feb 2014, 20:12
Donation made and a bump...

All the best Nick.

smujsmith
5th Feb 2014, 20:14
Input duly proffered. Thanks for an honest and eye opening insight. I wish any hope I had for your recovery could come true. Enjoy what you have left and rest assured that you have started an interest amongst PPruners.

My respects Sir

Smudge

NutLoose
6th Feb 2014, 11:31
Wallah, I have added the direct link as the one you added goes to a "this may be a Malicious link" post first, so may put some people off, I am saddened to see so few posts considering the readership :sad:

Karen Eyers is fundraising for The Rainbow Centre For Children (http://www.justgiving.com/the-Robbins)

I have also just re-read through the A-M's thread and I am humbled to see your support in it for her without mentioning your predicament. :(

Stitchbitch
6th Feb 2014, 11:55
Nick, we worked in the same Sqn building for awhile and it was a pleasure to serve with you. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis, donation inbound when I get home. Belive Mrs Stitch / Wallah in contact :ok:

TLDNMCL
6th Feb 2014, 15:25
:ok: To all concerned.

Wallah
6th Feb 2014, 21:39
Just to say thank you to everyone who has donated so far. Karen has already passed the £1,200 mark! I was at the Rainbow Centre today and they, as we, are totally overwhelmemed.

I've come to terms with my impending shuffle of this mortal coil some while ago. I've had a bloody good time, worked with some fantastic people, done some great jobs, worked on some brilliant sqns, flown in everything from a Canberra to a Typhoon and had even fun to boot. I've got the easy job, just not die for as long as possible (though I suspect that life time membership to the National Trust no longer represens the value it once did).

My wife and kids have supported me throughout my career and illness, and I wouldn't have made it this far without them. They have the hard part and have to keep going once I'm dead. That's where the work of the Rainbow Centre comes in as they are the only real safety net they have to help them pick up the pieces afterwards.

So thanks again for your donations, they mean so much.:ok:

airborne_artist
7th Feb 2014, 07:03
The link above goes through Facebook, and may not even work for some browsers.

The direct link is:

Karen Eyers is fundraising for The Rainbow Centre For Children (http://www.justgiving.com/the-Robbins)

thing
7th Feb 2014, 07:26
I am saddened to see so few posts considering the readership

Doesn't mean that people aren't taking note and contributing mate. Nick I don't know you but when my end comes I hope I can meet it with as much equanamity as your good self.

trap one
7th Feb 2014, 08:07
:D to all.
Given

mckelvey
7th Feb 2014, 10:03
Wallah,

I recently took part in a "dryathalon" which is basically not drinking alcohol in January and raised some donations via Just Giving. However, I have also collected cash donations from work colleagues and friends and I am sure "Cancer Research" (the organiser of "dryathalon") won't mind me donating the surplus cash to the Rainbow Centre.

So sorry to hear of your condition and my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends.

God Bless

Wallah
7th Feb 2014, 17:44
Just to say thank you again to everyone who has given. Karen has now cracked £1,600 (80%) of her target and the web site has only been up less than 48hrs.

Nick

:D

Wallah
10th Feb 2014, 06:37
Just another Thank You to those that have donated so far, especially from those that don't know me (though thanks to for Stitchbitch for strapping me into QOZ a couple of time whilst we were on 3(F) :O). Karen has now reached 90% of her target, which is fantastic.

skua
10th Feb 2014, 10:33
Good luck to Wallah & Karen

Wallah
12th Feb 2014, 22:06
Karen has now passed her £2,000 target with days to go. So a big thank you to everyone who has helped, not just from my family but from all the families the Rainbow Centre for Children support. Without them we would have been sunk months ago.

Nick

Wallah
15th Feb 2014, 19:14
Unashamed bump back to the top.

Karen has now nearly hit the £2,500 mark, which is simply staggering. I know there is more to come from people who have signed up or put money in the pot at the Abbey Wood Med Centre.

Karen gets her head shaved on Monday, so there is still time for one last push (though the Just Giving site will be open for a while yet). Thanks you to all of you that have given so far, the Rainbow Centre for Children has literally saved our lives. Any more donations would be gratefully received (especially from any ex 10, 216 or 3(F) veterans who would like to help out an old sqn mate out ;)).

This isn't for me directly but for my wife and kids when I'm dead. So, thank you once again.

NutLoose
15th Feb 2014, 19:36
My apologies Wallah, I was remiss, I intended to keep this thread current and still intend too, I am so glad to here she has nearly reached her target.

NutLoose
15th Feb 2014, 21:19
She has passed her target, keep going :D:D

Wallah
16th Feb 2014, 16:36
Karen has just passed the £2,600 mark and her 100 donation (with money coming in from as far away as Bastion). Less than 24 hrs to go until the big shave. If one of the Red Arrows can chip in, I'm sure there are a few more generous souls out there...

Cracking the £3,000 mark would simply amazing and a worthy target.

Thank you for supporting my family.

NutLoose
17th Feb 2014, 11:19
Passed £2700 now Nick and a deserved Bump.

Wallah
17th Feb 2014, 11:55
The deed is done! Though there is still plenty of time to add your support, if you so wish so.

Thanks (yet) again to every one who has donated.

CoffmanStarter
17th Feb 2014, 14:42
Nick …

We’ve never met, but I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you and your family at this time. It’s very difficult to find the right words to write or say in such circumstances as nothing appears to come even close to being adequate. I do know, however, the value and comfort that good support brings to those who need to remain strong in the future.

Coff.

Wallah
17th Feb 2014, 17:33
Cracked the £3,000 mark and going strong :O

Wallah
17th Feb 2014, 17:45
CoffmanStarter,

Thanks for your thoughts. Generally you just try to get on with life, being ill is a full time business between, doctor's, hospitals, hospice etc. The worst bit is not knowing what's coming next, my cancer isn't as aggressive as most, just very very persistent.

Since my final cycle of chemo I haven't been able to drive due to myocolonic seizures (mainly at night) as some other neuro symptoms which are driving my wife mad :o). Apart from that I'm generally OK day to day, just very prone to infections and tire easily. The big worry is if I get an infection they can't get rid off, my neuro symptoms get worse or it spreads to my spine. Realistically, the doctor's can't give me any sort of timeline beyond "it's not if but when".

Oh top tip, don't take your wife grave shopping the day before your wedding anniversary. It's not considered romantic, even if you do buy her a cup of tea and some cake! :ugh:

Once again, thank you ll for your support of my family and kind thoughts.

Nick

Buster Hyman
17th Feb 2014, 20:57
Nick.

I don't know you, nor do I recall reading much of your posts, but that is the nature of an (almost) anonymous forum. Putting that to one side, your recent posts tell me almost all I need to know about your character & the type of person you are, especially at a time like this.

Pprune is full of people from all walks of life and a multitude of life experiences.Someone, somewhere, will know exactly what you are going through and can offer encouragement, support, an unbiased opinion, and just good old fashioned experience.

I found that after a near death experience during the Black Saturday bushfires, the opportunity to vent on here was a welcome distraction to the turmoil spinning around my head. I received support from people who I had previously had sharp words with (pick any political thread & you'll understand!), and I also made contact with other volunteers on Pprune. Now, not for one minute can I, or would I, compare my experience with what you are facing but I just wanted you to know that Pprune is the anonymous family you can turn to when you feel the need.

I can't access the website from here but, if I cannot donate directly, I will donate to one of the local charities on your behalf!

Take care & enjoy your time. :ok:

NutLoose
18th Feb 2014, 11:15
£1300 over her original target, marvellous, nice to see the added pictures too. :ok:

NutLoose
19th Feb 2014, 09:03
165% :D:D:D

Wallah
20th Feb 2014, 13:51
A big thanks to the Worshipful Company of Pewterers. They have just donated £250 :o) I'm flabbergasted, especially as I left the Sqn a couple of years ago. Hosting all those visits was well worth the effort!

Just goes to show that the various Worshipful Company Associations are well worth investing the time in.

By the way we're up to 183% now and the £4,000 mark is creeping ever closer!

NutLoose
20th Feb 2014, 13:58
I am so pleased, it does show people do care. :)

Wallah
21st Feb 2014, 17:51
Apologies for bumping this up again, but Karen has just passed the £4,000 mark; with a lot of help from the Pewterers' and 3(F) Association! :D

We are just simply humbled by all the all the donations that have been made and the difference it will make to the Rainbow Centre.

Thank you just seems so inadequate.........

NutLoose
22nd Feb 2014, 17:36
Cool so it will pay for 137 sessions.

kokpit
24th Feb 2014, 07:41
Done.

Best wishes Nick, I don't know you, but wish you the best that you can hope for.

Wallah
24th Feb 2014, 10:32
Thank you.

We are at the £4,500 mark now and still climbing!

NutLoose
25th Feb 2014, 16:53
£4764 and change now :D:D:D

CoffmanStarter
25th Feb 2014, 17:37
That's great news :D

NutLoose
26th Feb 2014, 17:16
And another £100 in the pot.

Agatha
1st Mar 2014, 21:37
So sorry to hear of your current challenges and very, very humbled and inspired by your determination, humour and lack of self-pity.

Don't forget that the RAF Association and RAF Benevolent Fund are here for you and your family as you face each challenge as it arises and will still be here long after the biggest challenge of all to help to look after and care for your family when you are not able to do that. It's not all about money (but of course it is an option if you/your family need it) but we aim to provide Friendship, Help and Support to all serving and retired personnel, should they need or want it.

You are clearly being incredibly well supported by the Rainbow Centre (thank you) but we're also here to help......just give the RAF Association HQ a call on 0116 266 5224 and they can put you in touch with your local Welfare Team.

It would be an honour and privilege to be of some help.

Keep fighting!

Agatha

Wallah
2nd Mar 2014, 15:43
Just cracked the £5,000 mark!

Thanks for your post Agatha. We have been in touch with our local rep. She has been great at supporting us through the Byzantium world of the Joint Admin Unit at Abbey Wood and arranged for a weeks respite in one of the Benevolent Fund's cottages. However, while she is great at what she does, she's not a trained councillor.

The Rainbow Centre is a unique and utterly fantastic place. As I said before, Thank you to all those who have donated is just so inadequate.....

NutLoose
7th Mar 2014, 11:31
Cool, well done all

NutLoose
19th Mar 2014, 13:11
keep going :)

Wallah
20th Mar 2014, 13:15
We are now over the £5.5K mark. It's been a fantastic response from everybody. The Rainbow Centre are, quite literally, over the moon. This is the largest single donation they have had for many years now.

Once again, a huge thank you :ok:

NutLoose
30th Mar 2014, 23:17
Yup, and a worthy bump.

Wallah
13th Apr 2014, 09:37
After a comedy trip to A&E after collapsing at home (the day we were supposed to go on holiday to Cornwall) I've now been issued with set if sticks (as my balance is shot to sh*t). I also have an emergency wheelchair (thought it will be a cold day in hell before they get me into that thing).

So any ideas how to "Pimp my Sticks". I've got one for each hand and they are handed ie I can't use the left one in the right hand as the grip is all wrong!

Any ideas, greatly appreciated.

PS The Rainbow Centre donations are still creeping up slowly so thanks to all.

NutLoose
13th Apr 2014, 09:49
Can you not replace the grips? Motorbike or cycle come to mind, the NHS won't want them back, they kept giving my Mums Sticks and Zimmers every visit and refused to have then back as it was something to do with liability, ie if they failed in use after being reissued they would be culpable, we donated them all to a charity that helps out others, perhaps there is one similar near you that may have other options?

mad_jock
13th Apr 2014, 10:45
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Mountain-Handle-Grips-Covers/dp/B0089A8S1G/

And personally I would get a plastic dog turd and cut out a hole in the middle and slide it down the bottom so everyone thinks your walking around with turd at the end of it.

But then again I can completely understand if you have a higher mental age than me and don't think that's funny.

Wallah
13th Apr 2014, 12:13
Personally, I think one of these might look good strapped to one of them

Gift House International Fart Extinguisher (also available from the place selling large rivers),

My son would find it hysterical, though my wife and daughter would never let me out of the house with it.

CoffmanStarter
13th Apr 2014, 12:27
Wallah old chap ... can I suggest a comical mod ... perhaps the incorporation of an Artificial Horizon on the left stick and a Turn and Slip indicator on the right stick ... and then keep a straight face the next time you see the Doc and tell him it has helped improve your balance :ok:

NutLoose
13th Apr 2014, 13:06
Nav lights :)

Wallah
13th Apr 2014, 14:33
Nav lights sorted and mock up instruments from Trintec on their way. Also have ordered some Ejector Seat and Remove before flight stickers coming. The amount of Taft you can find on the internet is simply astounding!

India Four Two
13th Apr 2014, 15:09
Wallah,

I've only just seen your thread. I'm delighted to contribute to such an obviously good cause.

If you do resort to the wheel chair, flashing lights built into the front wheels are a must!

Hummingfrog
13th Apr 2014, 16:29
Hi Wallah

Good to hear about the successful fund raising:ok:

I to have the Big C in the terminal phase - not quite 3 greens ready to land but I have limited mobility. I find that a 3 wheel walker is better than sticks as it has a pouch for carrying essentials such as Ipad, newspaper etc. I also have invested in a mobility scooter - great fun - VNE 6mph and an ability to climb 2 inch curbs!! Though I am chasing the local council to improve the drop curbs between our 2 villages to improve my ride! It is great for independence and getting out to the local village. You can also add bling to it such as LED bike lights, squadron stickers etc.

HF

Wallah
13th Apr 2014, 16:54
Wife is on the verge of killing me :o) 3(F) Sqn Stickers done (i still have some Sqn zaps left over but they will have to go on the chair), but having problems trying to find some proper 10 Sqn ones Might have to resort to generic VC10 ones before my wife changes the password on my PayPal and hides the credit cards!

NutLoose
13th Apr 2014, 18:01
A Little VC10derness ? View topic - VC10 Patches and stickers... (http://www.vc10.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=650&start=0)

The only one I own is the third sticker down in the second post. The only one I've been able to find, have been after the Ten nose in a proper scheme with the sun behind it version that was the line sticker..

topgas
16th Apr 2014, 11:05
Shameless bump. Karen's efforts have now raised £5724 - it would be really nice to get to a round £6k. Hope the link works, if not the one at Post 7 does

Hangarshuffle
16th Apr 2014, 17:07
Too many fiddles going on with these sort of things you know? Not saying that's the case here, but there seem to be an awful lot of military associate can carriers around the country right now, shaking people down for money.
Bet you an awful lot never gets anywhere near the needful.
Just a hunch I'm developing.
Seriously, I've stopped giving (even to the RBL) until some clarity starts to emerge.

NutLoose
16th Apr 2014, 19:12
I forgot to add and it was remiss of me, hummingfrog, so sorry to hear your news too :(

Stitchbitch
3rd Oct 2014, 21:02
RIP Wallah, Godspeed buddy. :(

garyscott
3rd Oct 2014, 22:35
RIP fella, "Tertius primus erit"

:(

NutLoose
4th Oct 2014, 10:42
I was dreading opening this thread, I was keeping it high in the forum and at some point I failed to do it, I was dreading this news, RIP mate, I never met you, but you touched my heart and I am saddened by your passing, my condolences to your family and friends. To young and to early :(

Hummingfrog I hope you are still doing well too, I see you were active yesterday.

MrsWallah
4th Oct 2014, 18:06
Dear All,

It is with a hole in my heart I need to say- although I know it's already been mentioned that my wonderful husband wallah or Squadron Leader Nick Robbins lost his incredibly courageous fight against cancer on Sunday 28th of September.My children and I are devastated, it feels as though our world has ended..... Funeral details are now confirmed, not being a prune person ordinarily I'm not sure if I should post those here. Thank you for those that chatted with Nick on here- he felt the hands of the military family around him and that helped him just a little.

He was a damn fine officer, gentleman and a perfect husband and father....the world has lost a great man.

Mrs Wallah (Laura)

mopardave
5th Oct 2014, 23:09
Aaaaaargh, so very sad.........please accept my condolences.

Al R
6th Oct 2014, 04:02
Laura,

I only read the brave and honest diary of Nick's rearguard action - it must have been terrifying for him and for you all, I can't begin to imagine. I offer you my deepest condolences - no consolation I know, but there are far worse ways to be remembered.

He was a damn fine officer, gentleman and a perfect husband and father.

Typhoon93
6th Oct 2014, 11:43
Rest in peace, Sir.

NutLoose
15th Oct 2014, 18:07
Hello Mrs Wallah, I have just seen your post and wish to offer my sincere condolences to both yourself and your family at the sad time. :(