PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bieber smoking drugs on leased GIV.

bleeke
5th Feb 2014, 12:12
I've just been reading about Justin Bieber and his entourage smoking so much pot on a flight into Teterboro that the pilots had to wear oxygen masks to prevent them from inhaling the smoke. The FA had to stay in the cockpit because the abuse from the passengers became too much to handle. Surely all this, especially the pot smoking, is enough to justify an immediate diversion. Apparently the captain asked them several times to stop smoking the drugs without result. I know I would not have continued the flight under those circumstances.

Iceburg1
5th Feb 2014, 12:31
Yet another reason to hate that girly little ****

340drvr
5th Feb 2014, 12:32
Abnormal procedures checklist:
(Rainbow colored) Smoke in cabin:
1. Oxygen masks - donned
2. Cabin pressure - set to 20,000 ft.
3. Immediate descent and diversion to suitable landing airport.
4. Cabin (forcibly) evacuated.

dc9-32
5th Feb 2014, 12:33
They should have radioed ahead and request the feds make an appearance on arrival "for a spot check"....

Pace
5th Feb 2014, 12:38
DC9

Sadly money talks :{ I hope he gets put away for 9 months on his assault and drug charges might make him realise that he is a mere mortal and a vastly overpaid **** with minimal talent who is the product of great marketing to a mass of silly schoolgirls.

it does highlight the unique pressures the Captain of a private jet can be under.
If this had been PAX on a commercial aircraft the police would have been waiting on landing. The Captain was remiss in not radioing ahead for a police presence on landing. MONEY TALKS

Pace

SpringHeeledJack
5th Feb 2014, 12:39
Whatever the 'musical' talents of the passengers, if enough pot had been smoked they would have been unable to realise just how silly they were being whilst within a small aluminium tube whizzing through the sky 10miles above the earth. I suppose that like alcohol, Rx etc once someone's gone too far, it's too late to reason and if it's a group, forget it. I wonder if the pilots radioed ahead for police intervention when landed, or did they decide for commercial reasons to let it slide ?

malc4d
5th Feb 2014, 13:33
Just a thought....

If they have to allow smoking (of all types), how do they get rid of the stink before the next charter.. or do you have to have smoking and non smoking aircraft ??

fatmanmedia
5th Feb 2014, 14:04
If i was PIC i would have done what 340drvr (http://www.pprune.org/members/231179-340drvr) would have done but added to that i would have phoned the Feds and the Press.

It maybe the case that money talks, but putting the life's of all on board at rick is not worth any amount of money.

Fats

kms901
5th Feb 2014, 14:10
I have friends who tour with him and I believe every word of this. As long as he makes money, he will be allowed to carry on. When the income stream falters, he will be left to crash and burn. Hopefully not literally.

ksjc
5th Feb 2014, 14:17
Didn't this flight come from Canada and weren't US CBP agents there to meet the plane at KTEB upon arrival? I believe there was some sort of associated hours long delay at KTEB due to the pot.

Frankly couldn't care less but sure hope this incident didn't inconvenience anyone else that day.

Back in my jet charter days I was taking some Hollywood types to Hawaii one day but they were thoughtful enough to ask: "Dude...is it cool if we smoke some weed?" or some such thing. I said "not cool" and that was that.

I.R.PIRATE
5th Feb 2014, 15:39
News is saying they put dogs and police onboard, but nothing was found other than empty packaging which may have contained the weed.

jetopa
5th Feb 2014, 16:16
Forgive me to play the devil's advocate here, but let's assume the following for one second:

you don't have a spoiled kid like this on board but somebody you really admire and look up to. Now she or he does something that you don't like to see at all but is still short of something that you absolutely must report to the authorities. Wouldn't you look the other way in this case and say: 'Hey, let's cut her / him some slack'?

I'm not ratting on my passengers and what they do or talk about is not my business - as long as not doing something about it wouldn't bring me and my crew in trouble or was grossly unethical for other reasons.

aerochip
5th Feb 2014, 16:53
2. Cabin pressure - set to 20,000 ft.

+1

HS125
5th Feb 2014, 17:22
I'm not ratting on my passengers and what they do or talk about is not my business - as long as not doing something about it wouldn't bring me and my crew in trouble or was grossly unethical for other reasons.

I think this is a very good point, and [often significant] discretion is required to work in this business, however; I think crew being forced by the pax to breath second hand smoke from performance-altering drugs is along way across the line, especially since it seems they were warned/instructed not to.

robbreid
5th Feb 2014, 17:26
i would have phoned the Feds and the Press.

The Feds and the Press were called - aircraft was searched by DEA, drug dogs, passengers detained for 5 hours - and absolutely nothing was found.

dallas
5th Feb 2014, 17:45
He needs to go to jail. I wouldn't wish his situation on my worst enemy as it's unsustainable. The only unknown is the seriousness of the drop when it comes.

bleeke
5th Feb 2014, 18:30
As far as I'm concerned they can do whatever they want in the back as long as they don't jeopardise the safety of the aircraft and crew. If you have to use oxygen masks to keep you from getting intoxicated this is obviously a serious safety concern and in this case for me an immediate diversion would have been the only outcome. I would rather explain why I diverted than why there is traces of drugs in my system and risk losing my license.

Nikonair
5th Feb 2014, 18:42
From drinking and driving to smoking and flying, all in the same month, this guy really takes the cake. No respect at all for the crew, nor for safety.

jetopa
5th Feb 2014, 18:43
I would rather explain why I diverted than why there is traces of drugs in my system and risk losing my license.

Eactly! :ok:

Pace
5th Feb 2014, 19:42
dallas

I wouldn't wish his situation on my worst enemy

Can I be worse than your worst enemy please :ok: I can handle it promise ;)

pace

tuna hp
10th Feb 2014, 16:01
Why are all you pilots so opposed to smoking on the flight? My understanding is that it used to be very commonplace and that all the airplanes are still designed to be able to handle smoke through their air systems, even if the intent is probably tobacco smoke.

Cannabis popularity has increased dramatically over the last couple decades. Support for legalization has reached over 50% for the first time ever according to reputable nationwide polls. Plus, lots of people are prescribed it by their doctors now.

When flying private is so expensive, and when another perk is that you don't go through normal airport security, I find it hard to believe that there haven't ALWAYS been customers going back decades that saw illicit drug use at altitude as being part of the deal. Yeah, Justin Bieber is easy to hate, but I find it hard to believe that if you're piloting chartered Gulfstreams you haven't been flying around your fair share of passengers doing coke in the aft lav, if not openly at the conference table.

Plus, the idea that the pilots would become intoxicated inhaling secondhand smoke is laughable. Isn't the whole volume of cabin air changed out with fresh air every couple minutes?

RedBullGaveMeWings
10th Feb 2014, 16:11
Cannabis popularity has increased dramatically over the last couple decades. Support for legalization has reached over 50% for the first time ever according to reputable nationwide polls. Plus, lots of people are prescribed it by their doctors now.

I don't know in other countries, but in Italy and probably in all other EASA countries my medical would be suspended for a certain amount of time if I inhaled, even indirectly, cannabis or other drugs, thus not allowing me to fly = no job.

Piltdown Man
10th Feb 2014, 16:40
Why are all you pilots so opposed to smoking on the flight? My understanding is that it used to be very commonplace and that all the airplanes are still designed to be able to handle smoke through their air systems, even if the intent is probably tobacco smoke.

Actually, aircraft systems don't handle smoke that well. Over time, tar builds up in the pressurisation controller which eventually leads to a system failure. Also, the furnishings hang on to the many of the smells and they don't leave. This is why a smoker's car is less valuable than a non-smoker's car in the second hand market.

But the deal is, if you own the plane, it's yours to smoke in. Otherwise, it's part of the deal that you don't unless you have a negotiated as part of the price. After all, who wants to step off an aircraft smelling like they've been sitting in an ashtray? And then we have to consider the Flight Attendant. She should not have to breathe their smoke.

Then there's the behaviour aspect to consider. The FA's are on board to look after you. They are on your side. People with good manners appreciate that. Therefore, the last thing you do is abuse them. That is stepping over the line. Fortunately, the air charter world is so small that this lovely little diva will have charter rates that reflect his behaviour.

However, I don't think we won't have to put up with him for too long. At 19 he's already come off the rails. My money is a on stint or two in jail (he will get a sore bottom, won't he) followed by either a Winehouse or traditional car crash ending. I'll have to get a price on his demise. There would be something satisfying making a few quid on him popping his clogs.

PM

zondaracer
10th Feb 2014, 16:44
I recall the US Army did a study where they pumped heavy concentrations of second hand marijuana smoke into a closed room. It took about 6 hours of exposure for the subjects to test positive for cannibis.

bubbers44
10th Feb 2014, 21:23
Next why not let pilots drink a screwdrive an hour and see if it affects BA? Who knows what second hand marijuana does to pilots breathing it?

bubbers44
10th Feb 2014, 21:30
What if you had an 8hr flight and now are flying a to minimums a nonprecision approach after being at high cabin altitude?

thing
10th Feb 2014, 22:46
Plus, the idea that the pilots would become intoxicated inhaling secondhand smoke is laughable. Isn't the whole volume of cabin air changed out with fresh air every couple minutes?

Maybe they don't want to get off the plane stinking like an ashtray? I don't know if you've noticed but smoking has been banned just about anywhere that people who don't smoke are liable to be. Personally I couldn't care less what you smoke, inject or snort. You are an adult (I take it) and it's your decision. But when it comes down to your lifestyle choice affecting me, even if it's just making my clothes stink, then I draw the line at that.

bubbers44
10th Feb 2014, 23:52
We have very clear rules with alcohol but you can,t drink second hand alcohol.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Feb 2014, 06:05
But you can suffer from the effects of second hand alcohol, namely disruptive passengers, who in a private jet might feel they have a certain right to do as they please.

L-38
11th Feb 2014, 14:28
My way of dealing with drunk/disruptive passengers -

Raise cabin altitude to 9,500 ft (no alarms /no cabin mask drop),
Gasper (eyeball air) - off
Raise cabin temperature to 90f and apologize with something goofy - "the damn cabin control bleed valve is stuck again".

Pax will either soon be sleeping, or will be very quiet in no time.

medriver2008
15th Feb 2014, 10:27
I very close friend had the Rolling Stones on a flight from Miami to LA and when it was noticed that pot smoking was going on, he landed in Houston advising the passengers it was the end of the road.

Pilots having this in their blood is definitely irresponsible and say good buy to insurance when you run off the runway on arrival.

A conversation followed with MJ and the Captain which ended in a very professional apology by MJ and assurances that this activity would no longer take place.

The Captain submitted a plan and they continued to LA. At the end of the flight there was a final apology by MJ for the hassle and appreciation that the captain got them to LA .

Its not how you behave, its how you deal with it when confronted by others for an explanation. That's when you find out their attitude.

Dengue_Dude
15th Feb 2014, 12:57
I agree he needs jail.

You can imagine all the guys with tattooed foreheads drawing lots in prison to 'share' his cell, if only for his inaugural performance! Might even make it to YouTube.

He's got a world of grief coming, but I agree with the cynic above that states it'll be when the income stream dries up . . .

flyboyike
15th Feb 2014, 16:44
There are times I thank my lucky stars I don't fly corporate. This is one of them.

ksjc
15th Feb 2014, 20:14
Umm...this type of flying is not "corporate". This would be "charter". There's quite a difference.

Lumping all biz-jets into one category is a bit ignorant.

flyboyike
16th Feb 2014, 12:41
Thanks for missing my point. By a mile.

lifeafteraviation
16th Feb 2014, 13:50
tuna hp

You're right, it was very commonplace and still is in some countries. TWA crews commonly would light up in the cockpit and invite the flight attendants and jumpseaters in for smoke breaks right up until the end. Especially on those long haul 747 flights. If they can get away with it it's up to the captain to allow it or not.

I've often been sitting in first or business up front and can tell when they're lighting up in the cockpit. I'm not a smoker so maybe I'm more sensitive to it. A lot of crews still do it.

As for smoking in a chartered aircraft. If the owner doesn't want it it's because he doesn't want his plane smelling badly. It's very hard to get the smell out of an interior. An airline cockpit is not such a big deal because it's less likely to have so much plush carpeting and upholstery (not counting Airbus).

flyboyike
There are times I thank my lucky stars I don't fly corporate. This is one of them.
Thanks for missing my point. By a mile.

I'm not sure what your point was...I'm guessing you have never had a good corporate flying job because if you had you wouldn't be saying that.

Blanket statements like that are always going to invite some backlash.

A lot of good corporate flying jobs also do occasional charters to offset the costs for the owners, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Even the worst charter jobs (which some guys are forced to take between the good jobs) are very rewarding in many ways and are usually still better than the worst airline jobs.

There is no sure thing in this business, some pilots have had a lot more luck in their career than others. There is much that is out of our control.

CaptainProp
16th Feb 2014, 15:12
also do occasional charters to offset the costs for the owners

Off topic but that calculation almost never add up for the aircraft owner. It only adds up for the operator that makes money on selling a charter trip on an aircraft that's not theirs.

CP

flyboyike
16th Feb 2014, 21:57
I'm not sure what your point was...I'm guessing you have never had a good corporate flying job because if you had you wouldn't be saying that.

Blanket statements like that are always going to invite some backlash.

Never had a corporate flying job period, don't think I'd be well-suited for one, my buttkissing skills are sorely lacking.

As for backlash, hell..., 'round these parts you can say the sky is blue and there'll still be backlash, so....

lifeafteraviation
17th Feb 2014, 03:39
Off topic but that calculation almost never add up for the aircraft owner.

True, unless they own the charter company. Charter companies are mostly crooks anyway so of course their business model is robbing aircraft owners.

To the other poster....no one wants a tool for a pilot anyway....stick to the airlines. Why would you even be browsing this section anyway?

M-ONGO
17th Feb 2014, 10:00
To the other poster....no one wants a tool for a pilot anyway....stick to the airlines. Why would you even be browsing this section anyway?

Ignore the troll, gentleman. It's better off he's a regional gear monkey and not in BizAv. His type wouldn't make it due to attitude problems in this sector.

Travelman Africa
18th Feb 2014, 15:28
"Charter companies are mostly crooks anyway so of course their business model is robbing aircraft owners"

Slight exaggeration and sweeping generalization

lifeafteraviation
18th Feb 2014, 15:34
Slight exaggeration and sweeping generalization

It depends on how you define crooks. I've seen downright criminal behavior to just simple exaggerated marketing tactics.

I did use the word "mostly" in there so it's not a sweeping generalization. In such a tight margin business with so much competition it seems those who attempt to do things honestly end up degenerating into crooks or go out of business. Also why savvy aircraft owners often start their own management business or buy a certificate.

Booglebox
18th Feb 2014, 16:42
Charter companies are mostly crooks anyway so of course their business model is robbing aircraft owners

Hey man, don't hate the player, hate the game :cool: :E :ok:

westhawk
19th Feb 2014, 03:26
Charter companies are mostly crooks anyway so of course their business model is robbing aircraft owners

Which pilots seem much more willing to acknowledge when they don't feel as though they're getting their "fair share" of the cut!

Yes it's a competitive and often cutthroat business. Name one that isn't! Some individuals are more willing than others to trade their honor for money. what else is new?

Jet owners tend to run the gamut in this way as well. But for every bottom feeding scumbag operator, there's a higher quality operation doing business in a more ethical manner. I've worked for the bottom feeders when I had to and the better operators when I could. Never found that "perfect" situation so far though.

Hope springs eternal...

westhawk

lifeafteraviation
19th Feb 2014, 15:24
I wasn't really talking about how they treat their pilots. It's more of a commentary on the whole business model. I didn't mean for it to be taken so seriously and become such a topic of interest in this thread.

I hated being asked to lie outright to customers. I think as pilots we are in one of the few professions that allows us to maintain a high level of integrity (if we so choose) so when an operator asked us to lie to a customer I found it uncomfortable. I especially hated it when sales people would throw the crew under the bus to hide the lies they told to sell a trip...."sure we can make it non stop."

Aircraft owners would corner the pilots and try to dig for information so you never really knew what to say. You just had to play dumb all the time.

But these were small annoyances. The margins were so tight and the competition so high sometimes they just had no choice I suppose. Flying charter was usually the most fun I ever had as a pilot. Even corporate jobs can get boring flying the same people to the same locations and staying in the same hotels but charters always allowed you to mix it up a bit. I also never really had problems with pay...some people did though as it was never the same from pilot to pilot.

ksjc
19th Feb 2014, 15:44
Agreed..

Charter gets a bad wrap and deservedly so in many cases but I had a good 13 year run with mid-size jet charter, loved the variety of flying and the challenges along the way. Maybe I got lucky.

As far as lying to passengers I was never asked to outright lie but I did run into the occasional problem when running a brokered trip and promises were made without asking the operator, me, if it was even possible. Sure we can get you into that VFR strip in the rockies...make it to Hawaii in February...Fly TEB-SJC non-stop "guaranteed".

Yes, it did happen and from my recollection I had most trouble with the VNY/BUR based companies brokering out the trips. I got the impression they would tell the client anything to sell the trip...and they did.

Still, it was fun. Now a bit older and settled into a solid corporate gig. Not as exciting constantly going to TEB/BNA/MDW/SJC but it serves me well at this point in my career....flying the GLEX pays much better too.

westhawk
20th Feb 2014, 03:04
Yes, it did happen and from my recollection I had most trouble with the VNY/BUR based companies brokering out the trips. I got the impression they would tell the client anything to sell the trip...and they did.

Heh heh heh... Ain't that the truth SJC. (I worked out of BUR and VNY) But that big broker from Boston that wanted you to pretend you worked for them (down to the napkins with their company logo!) was even more so. But they sold some good trips. Same with the big fractional from Columbus when we'd provide holiday supplemental lift for them. Good times from before the great recession...

westhawk