PDA

View Full Version : AND SO IT BEGINS

Phoney Tony
5th Feb 2014, 10:13
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said: “Crowsnest will provide vital surveillance and intelligence to protect the Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers. The introduction of Crowsnest 18 months early will ensure HMS Queen Elizabeth has the full range of capabilities when it enters service. This announcement is a good example of improved financial management in MOD allowing us to respond to new requirements as they arise."

The MoD is now waking up to the fact that a Carrier with embarked Air Wing needs protection, in depth, both above and below the waterline. Organic helos are great for the near field but longer range protection will still require fixed wing assets.

Layered defence is vital for a maritime force and if we are not careful more and more of the defence budget will be soaked up protecting assets we can not afford to run.

henry_crun
5th Feb 2014, 10:19
...full range of capabilities...

...except the ability to launch and recover aircraft!

Whenurhappy
5th Feb 2014, 10:36
What aircraft? Tried and tested, proven battle-winning platform? Nope - no Super Hornets ordered as far as I know...

Pontius Navigator
5th Feb 2014, 10:49
Will she have any CIWS?

I saw HMS Lancaster with 6 GPMG/gatling guns mounted forrad in addition to her main gun. Probably extras for her anti-drug duties but handy against small boats anywhere.

Not_a_boffin
5th Feb 2014, 11:13
Force protection where constrained RoE are in effect. Applied to all deployed RN ships. QE will be no different.

NutLoose
5th Feb 2014, 11:48
So is that Political speak for the System is running over budget and 2 years behind schedule, but do not worry, because the carrier is over budget and running 3 years 8 months behind schedule?

Ohh the cynic in me :E

Crowsnest AEW project to cost up to £500mn, UK says - 9/5/2013 - Flight Global (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/crowsnest-aew-project-to-cost-up-to-163500mn-uk-390234/)

Still better than the Blue Circle radar system the RAF once owned. :p

dervish
5th Feb 2014, 11:58
Nutloose

IIRC Crowsnest had at least two predecessor programmes that weren't delivered. FOAEW and MASC. I happen to know the ASaC Mk7 programme manager applied for the FOAEW job and was told he had no relevant experience. :ugh:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
5th Feb 2014, 12:15
Also; https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-surveillance-system-for-royal-navy-aircraft-carriers

GOV.UK;
Lockheed Martin UK, which designs the Merlin helicopters

I live and learn.

GOV.UK;
Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers will get helicopter-borne early warning systems 18 months earlier than planned, saving £22 million.

So if we shorten a delivery lead time, the price comes down. Thinks; if we extend the lead time the price might go up; but isn't that what we are usually cornered into by the Treasury?

HTB
5th Feb 2014, 13:04
GBZ

You've really confused me now - I thought the Merlin (AW101, formerly EH101) was a Westland/Agusta consortium designed and developed helo. There is a Lockheed Martin variant - VH-71 Kestrel - but I thought that this was as the result of a trade agreement in about 2002 to bring LM into joint marketing and production:confused:.

Aaaah, I see, you were qouting from that UK Gov report. Yes indeed, live and learn (but not necessarily the reality:*). I think my version probaly has more verity (I was the CAA aerodrome inspector for the Westland/Yeovil aerodrome from 2001-2010, and did have a decent overview of what was going on there).

Mister B:ok:

I must chastise myself for overuse of smilies - the medication must be wearing off.

Bengo
5th Feb 2014, 15:24
Surely Merlin HM helicopter-as-an-anti-submarine-weapon system is the result of a programme where LM (once IBM IIRC) were the Prime Contractor. The Merlin helicopter air vehicle was designed and built by Agusta Westland as subcontractors to LM.

LM then 'won' VH-71 but AW still designed/built the first airframes.

Not sure about overseas sales for AW101 or the UKgreen ones.

N

Not_a_boffin
5th Feb 2014, 17:05
The basic cab is an AW product, but the mission system is primed and integrated by LM I believe. They have the contract for the HM2 mission systems avionics upgrade and hence driving seat for all other bits from the looks of it.

glad rag
5th Feb 2014, 17:24
Better than nothing I suppose.