PDA

View Full Version : Performance Based Navigation

Zhirkov
5th Feb 2014, 04:15
Hi!

I have a question; I expect this be the correct place to put it.

How to know what RNAV and RNP equipment hace my aircraft? I.e: an Airbus A320, because, I can not understand the "RNAV 10" or B-RNAV"... It is for a filling flight plan. Thanks!

Regards,

ReverseFlight
9th Feb 2014, 10:49
Normally your operator would know what navigational capabilities your aircraft has. These concepts can be daunting for the untrained.

"RNAV 10" is a nav performance standard for oceanic and remote continental airspace. It denotes Area Navigation to an accuracy of 10 nautical miles, the required nav separation between aircraft in order to operate in the relevant airspace, to put it simply.

"B-RNAV" is Basic RNAV, the nav performance standard for en-route airspace in continental Europe.

Whether you tick the boxes in your flight plan depends on the avionics setup of your aircraft (hence your operator should know).

Whether you as a pilot are legal to operate such navigational systems depends on the approval or validation granted by the country of registration of your aircraft. Most countries require some recurrency training requirement for International Operations training, including P-RNAV/B-RNAV, RNP, NAT/MNPS, RVSM, ADS-B and CDPLC, just to name the more important ones.