PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure appreciated quite how much Saudi Arabia bought from BAES...

Willard Whyte
3rd Feb 2014, 20:26
Current annual defence spending:

USA: 351 Bn
China: 60 Bn
Russia: 48 Bn
UK: 35Bn
Japan: 33Bn
France: 32Bn
India: 27Bn
Saudi: 27Bn
Germany: 27BN
S. Korea: 20BN

All in adjusted £terling, source IHS Janes

Basil
3rd Feb 2014, 22:49
Well, as I'm sure most of us knew already, the Birmingham Adult Education Service has built on good practice and critical self-evaluation to form an inclusive group which will go out of its way to assist any young folk at an early stage of their development.

;)

Basil
3rd Feb 2014, 22:53
Seriously now, I hadn't realised how much the USA was in for.
Thank y'all :ok:

tartare
4th Feb 2014, 01:01
...a large amount of those greenbacks would no doubt be in relation to a porky... sorry tubby, little jet currently under development?

dervish
4th Feb 2014, 05:46
We don't spend £35Bn on equipment, more like £10Bn I think, so are we sure this is comparing like with like?

ORAC
4th Feb 2014, 07:21
Quoting national defence expenditure gives no indication of what percentage is spent on manpower, R&D, equipment and operations. Neither does it give an indication of the proportion spent on each service (and some include both Coast Guard and Border Protection). Finally it gives no indication on what percentage is spent with foreign manufacturers.

It should be further pointed out that ignoring naval, artillery/tank and other non-aviation manufacturers, the RSAF inventory contains 150+ x F-15s and 130+ x F-5s vs approx 100 x Tornado/Typhoon. Let alone their entire transport/tanker/Helo fleets whig are totally US or European.

So, exactly how much do †hey spend with BWoS?

Pontius Navigator
4th Feb 2014, 07:25
dervish, it is actually all defence expenditure, but I get your drift, Saudi certainly didn't spend £27Bn on equipment either, nor would they have spent all their equipment money with BAE.

It is the title that is misleading but never-the-less the figures are instructive.

While wage rates will be a most significant factor, look at Russia with a £13Bn more than UK and all those rocket forces and submarines to maintain. :)

Pontius Navigator
4th Feb 2014, 07:27
150+ x F-15s and 130+ x F-5s vs approx 100 x Tornado/Typhoon

Good bit of diversity there.

VinRouge
4th Feb 2014, 08:37

Don't know but I still bet the bribes were worth it.

AGS Man
4th Feb 2014, 08:53
Orac
The F5s are no longer in service. The last ones flew in 2010 and most survivors are in open storage here at Taif.
If you look on Google Earth and locate the Hookwire towards the end of Runway 35 and then look east you will see what looks like a taxiway but was originally an emergency runway. I counted 78 but that may have changed.
Doubt if theres a bigger line up of F5s anywhere else in the world!

tucumseh
4th Feb 2014, 10:32
I recall many, many years ago we ("Requirement Managers" in today speak and named "owners" of equipment as we made materiel and financial provision, wrote Board Summissions and were responsible for ARM) were each asked how much our (FAA/RM) avionics contracts with BAe were worth. No other company. My calculator toppled around £1Bn and my colleagues were the same. Mind you, in those days (early 80s) we had bags of SHAR, SK, Lx, Gazelle, Hunters, Herons (!) and so on, and all Merlin contracts were let. It was still an awful lot at 30+ year old prices.

Of course the important contracts couldn't be trusted to them so were with Ferranti, Plessey and Marconi. :E

Willard Whyte
4th Feb 2014, 17:05
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

We don't spend £35Bn on equipment, more like £10Bn I think, so are we sure this is comparing like with like?

It is the title that is misleading

Well, it was meant to be slightly humorous based on the Saudi's expenditure being #8 in the world.

Whilst fully expecting someone to list all the gold plated (literally?) kit that they have I merely (jokingly) implied that the only way they could spend so much and get so little is by buying from you know who.

Quoting national defence expenditure gives no indication of what percentage is spent on manpower, R&D, equipment and operations. Neither does it give an indication of the proportion spent on each service (and some include both Coast Guard and Border Protection). Finally it gives no indication on what percentage is spent with foreign manufacturers.

Seriously, lighten up!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
4th Feb 2014, 19:38
Quote:

Don't know but I still bet the bribes were worth it.

That's pretty close to humour. I suspect that you must be a guest worker in Germany

EAP86
4th Feb 2014, 20:21
I counted 83 when they were still in the HASs some years ago but a few gate guards will have been dropped since then ;)

E

West Coast
4th Feb 2014, 23:36
AGS

I've looked at Taif airport and don't see any? The airport I'm looking at has a distinctly military feel. Is there another nearby?

GreenKnight121
5th Feb 2014, 01:12
...a large amount of those greenbacks would no doubt be in relation to a porky... sorry tubby, little jet currently under development?
U.S. Military Aircraft Programs | Spending, Purchases, Sequestration (http://www.bga-aeroweb.com/DoD-Aircraft-Programs.html)

Lets see... of a total of $351bn in 2012 the US spent a total of $9.1623bn on the entire F-35 program.
That's 2.61% of total expenditures for the year.

In 2012 the US spent $3.4986bn on the various H-60 models, $2.9849 on the V-22, $2.9115bn on the P-8A, $2.5163bn on the F/A-18, $2.5065bn on the C-130, and so on.

The site above contains links for the other parts of the DOD budget as well.

For example, in FY2013 the USN spent $4.87bn on the DDG-51 program, $4.81bn on the Virginia-class SSN program, and $2.33bn on the LCS program.

AGS Man
5th Feb 2014, 04:27
West Coast
Go to 21degrees 29'52.03N 40degrees 33'28.92E
Or if you go back in history to 2010 look for 5 Tristars lined up. They were stored there until broken up last year..

Ivan Rogov
5th Feb 2014, 06:23
I see they also have 4 Mig-28s at Taif!

AGS Man
5th Feb 2014, 18:07
Ahhh Ivan, you mean the RSAF black F5 program?

racedo
5th Feb 2014, 19:48
Wonder how much was spent on Saudi Oil over that time period.

Heathrow Harry
6th Feb 2014, 15:53
from Bloomberg:-

Saudi Arabian 2012 Oil Export Revenue Gained 5% as Iran Fell 12%

By Wael Mahdi Jul 29, 2013 12:00 PM GMT

Saudi Arabia (http://topics.bloomberg.com/saudi-arabia/)’s revenue from exports of crude oil and other petroleum products in 2012 rose 5.3 percent from a year earlier while Iran’s income from sales abroad sank by 12 percent, OPEC reported.

The world’s largest crude exporter shipped oil and products valued at $336.1 billion last year, up from $319.1 billion in 2011, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (http://www.opec.org) said in its Annual Statistical Bulletin today. The kingdom’s export revenue advanced at a slower pace than the 49 percent gain in 2011, the data showed.

Saudi shipments of crude and refined petroleum products rose 3.7 percent to an average of 8.42 million barrels a day last year, according to the data posted on OPEC’s website today.

Iranian petroleum export revenue fell to $101.5 billion as the nation’s shipments fell 14 percent to an average of 2.56 million barrels a day, OPEC said.