PDA

View Full Version : Saluting or waving?

Secret1
2nd Feb 2014, 21:04
Quote from Quentin Letts, Daily Mail, February 1.

(RAF Brize Norton Jan 31, at the arrival of 'Legover' Hollande)

''An RAF officer (Stevie Lushington) made one of those salutes that judders for half a minute after it has been made. Twangggg!''

With about 20 years experience / practicing you would think Stevie would know how to salute PERFECTLY, setting an example to his 'underlings'.

Army officers are much worse, often with the hand pointing vertically off the forearm's 45 degree angle, and waving furiously. A quite ridiculous posture!

Why are standards so sloppy these days?

charliegolf
2nd Feb 2014, 21:08
Why would anyone give a sh1t what he thinks?

CG

ricardian
2nd Feb 2014, 21:11
How to salute

Pontius Navigator
2nd Feb 2014, 21:12
Maybe , but I did notice the longest way up, shortest way down :)

Willard Whyte
2nd Feb 2014, 21:12
Dad's Army - Wiggle - YouTube

500N
2nd Feb 2014, 21:19
Maybe because the SWO, CSM or RSM's are not making sure JO's have been taught correctly and haven't done remedial training if required ?

Assuming the SWO and CSM's do Officer Sword and drill training in the UK ?.

Union Jack
2nd Feb 2014, 23:01
Why are standards so sloppy these days? - Secret1

While we're at it, and further to 500N's post, the Staish's sword drill could also do with some attention, as I noted on the JB thread entitled ....

French President Standards Slipping .....

.... and so, as evidenced by BBC TV report on the meeting of Mr Cameron and Mr Hollande today, is the standard of sword drill displayed by the Station Commander at RAF Brize Norton .....:=

Jack

TomJoad
2nd Feb 2014, 23:09
Standards reflect the world we live in. Shame the military used to provide a lead on these matters - I do hope they still do. Having said that, drill never was my strongest point I had a most un-military like bearing. Was never picked for a parade;)

Tankertrashnav
3rd Feb 2014, 08:14
Assuming the SWO and CSM's do Officer Sword and drill training in the UK ?.

Self and another chap were selected as squadron standard bearers (I was the reserve) and attended a 2 day course with QCS SNCOs at Uxbridge to lick our drill into shape. Other than at weddings I doubt if your average squadron Joe ever even wears a sword in his career!

26er
3rd Feb 2014, 08:30
A sword is a dangerous weapon, particularly in RAF hands. Where are Health and Safety when you need them?

The Helpful Stacker
3rd Feb 2014, 09:02
Why would anyone give a sh1t what he thinks?

Pretty much sums up my view.

Letts is one of the most odious journos out there, who writes for a rag of a newspaper that should never be seen anywhere but in the bottom of a bird cage.

4ROCK
3rd Feb 2014, 09:07
As a very junior officer I was let loose with QCS to do a few stints at 'Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace'.....I remember with great fondness the weeks of painful one-on-one sessions with the squadron WO on the Uxbridge parade square before I was let loose in front of Joe Public.

By the end of it all I could muster a reasonable bit of sword action and generate copious amounts of 'Seg' sparks when doing the trademark 'sliding' halt! Never quite managed to get any 'revurb' in my saluting though...left that all to the troops who could get a good 30 seconds of 'twanging' when required.............

500N
3rd Feb 2014, 09:12
I do remember one fellow officer who made the CSM despair over his sword drill.

From memory the infantry set took over the next practice !

Wensleydale
3rd Feb 2014, 10:45
Following graduation from OCTU (where most drill was with a rifle), I only touched a sword once - at OCC - and even then it was a practice sword! Not bad for nearly 34 years service.

As an afterthought - if it is seen that standards are slipping then I suspect that a sword drill computer training package will be produced that all JOs have to complete every year with threats of disciplinary action if they don't have the tick in time!

4Greens
4th Feb 2014, 08:31
Always been curious - why do the Navy salute with their hand flat and the Army and FAF with their hand vertical?

tartare
4th Feb 2014, 08:35
Ricardian - great clip... I'm going to look out that film.
Highly amusing (how fast can an RSM/CSM actually issue instructions, salute, for the correct rendering of) but at the same time, cringe-worthy...
Marching up and down the square...!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBVguR5lrA

CathayBrat
4th Feb 2014, 09:11
Always been curious - why do the Navy salute with their hand flat and the Army and FAF with their hand vertical?

When I was taught at BRNC, we were told it was due to Queen Victorias dismay at the dirty state of Jolly Jacks hands, due to the tar and pitch from the rigging, so salutes were palm down from then on. Same with the loyal toast, the Navy stays sitting, because Charles 1st stood up for his toast, banged his head and was not amused.

Wander00
4th Feb 2014, 09:12
Far Green - always understood the RN looking for a distant horizon; Army and RAF following knightly tradition of showing an open, ie unarmed, hand.

MPN11
4th Feb 2014, 10:52
CathayBrat ... concur on both counts. :cool:

Let go for'ard, let go aft, hard a port and slow ahead together

Ken Scott
4th Feb 2014, 14:10
Like Wensleydale apart from sword training at IOT, which was not required in anger as I was one of the 'bods' on the grad parade, the opportunities to wield one have been minimal, limited to a few weddings only. One of the weddings was in a slightly rough north-eastern town where I actually felt safer walking to & from the church for having said weapon on my person!

sitigeltfel
4th Feb 2014, 15:34
Listen up....

6KK_0D--FCo

:=

4Greens
5th Feb 2014, 08:04
I think the no standing up for Royal Toast was due William 1V.